Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 vs. X5

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 vs. X5

OK, if anyone is interested, here's my brief comparison of the two. For background, I have a 2007 Q7 4.2 S-Line, completely loaded except ACC. I picked up a 2009 X5 xDrive 4.8 M-Sport

Size - well, you can look it up, but the X5 is shorter and there's a definite difference in the cargo area. My X5 does not have the 3rd row seats (worthless in this vehicle), but my Q7 did (close to worthless). Width seems about the same, inside and out. The X5 looks taller, unless I set the air suspension on the Q7 to Lift.

Looks - completely subjective, but I like both. I bought the M-Sport package on the X5, so it comes with fender flares, different front and rear bumpers/spoilers. Basically the same thing that appealed to me in the S-Line package.

Handling/Steering - no contest, the X5 is so much more nimble. I always left my Q7 in Dynamic mode, but you could always feel the weight of the vehicle. Strange, considering both vehicles weigh about the same.

Brakes - I'd give the nod to the Q7, but not by much.

Transmission - Hands down the Q7. Smoother and somehow "smarter" shift points. The X5 is pretty jerky off the line. So much so that I find myself switching to manual mode and launching from 2nd gear, then switching back to automatic.

Engine - Slight advantage to the X5. More power off the line. I haven't timed it, but the seat-of-my-pants meter says the X5 is slightly faster. They both sound very good, inside and out.

Interior (seats) - Q7 was a little too soft and the X5 is a little too firm. For a long drive, I'd take the Q7. For short, spirited drives, the X5 is perfect. I do like the 6 seat configuration I had in the Q7 (and so did most of my passengers). The rear seats in the X5 are also very comfortable.

Interior (quality/looks) - I have to say that I'm going to miss the design of the Q7's interior. The BMW is good, the Audi is stellar. Quality is close, but again the edge goes to Audi. The only exception is the steering wheel that comes with the M-Sport package. It's AWESOME. Too bad they didn't put paddle-shifters on it. I'll miss those.

Interior (MMI vs iDrive) - Audi has the edge on this, but iDrive isn't as bad as a lot of people say. It's actually pretty good. I also like the ability to program a few buttons on the steering wheel, via iDrive.

Sound system - My Q7 didn't have the B&O system, just the Premium Bose. The X5 has the Premium Sound (don't know who makes it) and it's fantastic. It even supports DVD-A.

My X5 doesn't have heated seats, ANYWHERE. And it doesn't have Homelink garage door openers. I think that's ridiculous on a $70k vehicle.

On the plus side, I like the halo headlights and the split tailgate on the X5. I also like picking up a lot of room where the spare tire would normally go (mine has run-flats). But the Q7 has better storage everywhere else: the doors, the glove box, the under-seat storage, etc....

I will NOT miss cleaning the front end on the Q7 S-Line. However, I now have hard-to-clean rims on the X5, unlike the 20" 5-spokes on the Q7, which were so easy. Probably a push.

I'll still be hanging out in the Q5 section and poking in here from time to time. I hope everyone here enjoys their Q7s. I know I did. Quite simply one of the best vehicles I've had the pleasure of owning.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for that. I kind of started in the same boat. Deciding between the 2010 X5 35d vs 2010 Q7 TDI.

End up ordering the Q7. Dealer was not budging on price, for almost the exact config, I'm looking at about the same price (this is after the BMW $4500 eco credit), so dealer not budging on price.

Got Q7 at invoice + $1k. I prefere the Q7's interiors, useful 3rd row (like you, I agree, it's barely useful) and 3G MMI vs the newer iDrive.

X5 feels smaller, but looks about the same size to me.

Not sure what to think of the Joystick on the X5, but ultimately decided on the Q7, just for interior. X5 does handle better, that's a given.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i came down to the same two in 07. run flat tires on the x5 killed the bmw for me.

peter
Old 09-29-2009, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can I stop the clock at 51284 miles? Thanks for your input over the years of your Q7.
Friend of mine got rid of the run flats on his Bimmer.
BTW ithinkmac, next generation Q7 will have a joystick MMI.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know what the complaint is on the run-flats. Mine has the Conti UHP SSRs. Quiet, nice ride and they grip great!! The downside is that they're staggered (255/50 R19 front - 285/45 R19)

One area the BMW KILLS Audi is the AC unit. My Q7 could never keep up. I could hang meat in the X5. I wonder if it's because the sunroof shade is solid, rather than the perforated.

I actually got rid of the Q7 today and I can honestly say it's the first time that I was sorry to see a car go. I'm usually ready and anxious to get rid of them. Almost felt like I was going to a funeral. LOL!!!

NO SUNGLASSES HOLDER in the X5. Unbelievable!! It's the little things like this that are going to drive me insane.

Everyone in here is awesome. Thanks for all the info, tips, feedback.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FYI, I had almost 44k miles on my Q7. NO major issues. Complete set of brakes (pads, rotors, sensors), complete set of tires. Backup camera and parking brake were minor, but annoying. Like I said, one of the best vehicles I've had.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend found that he couldnt drive far or fast enough on the flat run flats. Also said he got stranded in odd places when they failed and he couldnt get replacements. Top that off with complaints of poor ride quality and damage to his rims when fitting, he just gave up on them as an expensive waste of effort.
You dropped back your mileage by about 3.5k a year since you got your Q7.
I hope you enjoy your X5. I am sure we will be reading more comparisons with your Q5 on the other forum.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default X5

I had an X5 4.8is and the trans always had problems. The factory replaced it @ 43,000 miles and I found out it was a rebuilt trans not new. The car was gone after that since I was afraid of what else might go wrong after the warranty ended at 50,000 miles. It was a fun vehile though but like the Q7 4.2 S-Line quality better.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

In my ideal garage, it would include an X6M and a Q7, but alas, I can only choose one at the moment...

There was a time I wanted the X5, until the X6 came onto the scene...but now it's the overall package I rate, and the Q7 is the pratical choice to make at the moment. BMW should try their hands at (another) 6-7 seater.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Better combo

Originally Posted by JadeVetti
In my ideal garage, it would include an X6M and a Q7, but alas, I can only choose one at the moment...

There was a time I wanted the X5, until the X6 came onto the scene...but now it's the overall package I rate, and the Q7 is the pratical choice to make at the moment. BMW should try their hands at (another) 6-7 seater.

M6 conv and Q7 ;^)

Quick Reply: Q7 vs. X5