Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Quick FYI on brakes...D'ooh

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quick FYI on brakes...D'ooh

Friggen pads don't come with the sensors. You have to buy them separately.
Took less than an hour to do the rear pads, but had to go back to add the friggen sensors.

Mike
Old 10-28-2018, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is true with every brake pad I have purchased and have looked at.
Sensors only need to be replaced if you let them wear too far. They do not require to be changed simply because you changed the brakes. The sensor merely completes an electrical circuit to the rotor to inform you the pads are low, if a tiny piece got worn off the next warning the pads will be slightly thinner. If the sensor fails to warn you in a timely fashion the brake pad will eat some rotor. which still isnt a big deal. shops merely claim it is to make more $$$$ off you. the pad will almost instantly wear to the groove and in all reality those who say that is bad are completely wrong because the facts are there is now more surface area being clamped by the pad, more surface means more stopping power. lol. just stating facts of physics not saying to purposely do it. lol. however I do suppose it throws off the balance between left and right braking and may cause the opposing pads to wear quicker since the grooved ones now have more stopping power. lol.
The hardest part of doing brakes on these cars is getting the wheel to brake loose from the hub.
I had to do a "THIS IS SPARTA" front kick to brake mine loose, the 5lb sand hammer didnt work... lol
Old 10-28-2018, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've reused the sensors a few times.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried to reuse them but you need to see it a few times before you can get the connector off without damaging it. I did get them off (and they were not worn) but they would not stay in the new pads. Thus I got the new ones the next day and installed. them.

So if you are replacing pads which are not worn down to the sensor I guess you are wasting some pad life at the savings of the sensors LOL

I have never had any issue getting the wheels off. I routinely take them off to check brakes on this car, but all my other cars get snow tires and thus I have them off twice a year.

But a stuck wheel is a PAIN IN THE &&&

MIke