Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Radar Detector Hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the suggestions. I got around to wiring it up this evening to the driver's side fuse box. I was able to tap into an unused port on the 3rd row of fuses and run the wire behind the trim. All was great and then I turned the car on and get TPMS and Stability warnings. Scared the hell out of me. I pulled everything out but it didn't go away. I reset TPMS but nothing. I then decided to take the car down the block and that seemed to resolve it as after a very short bit the errors went away. I reinstalled the radar wiring but this time everything was fine with no errors. I drove it again and all was fine. No idea what the heck happened, but man that was scary.

I did also find what was mentioned above regarding radar. The K band on the V1 went off with the car. I disabled POP as suggested and the issue no seems resolved.

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QShip
Yeah, this was the easiest of three hardwire installs I've done running it down the a pillar and using a fuse tap. It also fits perfectly behind the visor next to the center ceiling console using the visor clip to hook into the headliner. I wouldn't do it any other way really.
Do you have a picture of that clip and location?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to grab a pic next time I'm in the (wife's) Q7.

The visor clip is the clip that comes with the V1. When you get it into the headliner, the detector sits just behind the visor, but exposed enough to see the display and use the ****. You can nestle it right up to the left side of the ceiling console bulge with the sunroof controls. It really fits perfectly.

On similar installs on two other cars, i had to flatten the visor clip a bit but it wasn't necessary on the Q. You will have to feel around under the headliner a bit to work it in, but it's not that hard.