Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear entertainment

Folks - what are you all planning for rear entertainment stuff...

My '07 Q that is coming off lease has the Invision Rev III dual headrest dvd's, but I am thinking with the glut of tablet devices, iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab and other devices starting to hit the market, having a couple of those might be better for the kids in the back...

Anybody doing anything interesting mounting wise .. or playing with any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found the tablet movie players are better for the kids. Kids are fidgity little blighters and like to move about, twist and turn and with the best will in the world they will find odd positions in which to sit even with their belts on and in thier respective chairs. Both mine much prefer the tablets.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SteelWarHorse3.0TDi
I found the tablet movie players are better for the kids. Kids are fidgity little blighters and like to move about, twist and turn and with the best will in the world they will find odd positions in which to sit even with their belts on and in thier respective chairs. Both mine much prefer the tablets.
Yeah, that was my thinking as well... plus no remotes to worry about ;-)

What kind of tablets you using?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

we havent bought tablets yet, but were going to. Were just waiting for apple to put web cams on their ipads....that way our kids can skype family members or friends while were away on vacation...we also plan to get rid of the PC they share...the Ipads will replace a lot and take care of a need - in car entertainment....movies, games, learning stuff....way better than headrest stuff....
Old 09-05-2010, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I love the $235 Pyle headrest DVD players on Amazon. Daughter loves it in the Q7. Got the $239 Vizualogic headrest DVD player in my A8L. That's good too.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 203 Likes on 144 Posts

http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=prod&prod_...8&pcat_id=1003

$80 bucks. You can buy 10 of these for the price of a single integrated headrest screen.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

iPADs are the way to go. You can encode movies pretty easily nowadays.

I originally thought about the headrest option, we had a Honda Odyssey before and they kids love the flip down LCD screen. Their biggest complaint going into the Q7.

I tried the portable DVD players (Sony & Panasonic have some good ones) that are like tablets with their flip screens. Good, but limited in choice of media, some have SD card slots you can put movies onto. Screen resolution no that good.

Tried NetBooks, too much work for the kids. I have a Dell A90 that I run Hackintosh on and use Plex as a media player, it works great (for me), but kids didn't like it.

Got them the iPad, boom. They love it, can play games, watch movies, read books. My son's really into the Artemis Fowl series now, and I put them on the iPad, he loves reading them on the iPad. Keeps them entertained for hours. Quiet back seat, lots of quiet time for me & the wife up front. Awesome long trip helper.

When we're not doing long trips, we usually don't let them take it in the car, so they can soak up what's outside and not so focused on electronic entertainment.

-ThinkMac-
P.S. - With my handle, I'm a little biased toward the Apple stuff, but fanboy or not, the iPad is a good solution. Or even the new onslaught of Android tablets coming out. Portable, multi-functional. Everybody wins.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pw-man
Yeah, that was my thinking as well... plus no remotes to worry about ;-)

What kind of tablets you using?
Hmm... unsure. They were cheapo though. Anything electronic left in the hands of the kids will sooner or later get dropped, drinks spilled on it, used as bludgeoning weapon or otherwise mistreated.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a couple portable dvd players I've picked up over the years. My kids don't need $500 ipads, and I only break out the dvd players for longer trips. They work great, plug into the DC outlets and can hang from the seat in front of them as they both came with a removable strap to allow this. Combined with the PlaneQuiet headphones it works great for the longer trips and the other 90% of trips it's not even in the car so the only option is actual conversation.

I am a pretty big fan of apple too, and someday if we have a couple ipads around the house those would be even better, but I wouldn't throw down that kind of coin for toddler entertainment. Maybe when they're older they can work off a couple ipad payments detailing the car :-)
Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chirf4
we havent bought tablets yet, but were going to. Were just waiting for apple to put web cams on their ipads....that way our kids can skype family members or friends while were away on vacation...we also plan to get rid of the PC they share...the Ipads will replace a lot and take care of a need - in car entertainment....movies, games, learning stuff....way better than headrest stuff....
Just an FYI, face time doesn't work with Skype and as far as webcams, the iPad will probably end up just getting the same face time technology as the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Quick Reply: Rear entertainment