Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Hatch Won't Close

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by krick
Had the same problem with our '11 TDi. Dealer spent two weeks trying to figure out the cause, never did and then just started replacing parts in a trial and error process. Eventually the problem went away but I don't think they ever isolated the cause.
Let's hope they can figure it out sooner that that. There are only so many parts involved - the latch in the door, the helper motor at the striker and the sensor switches that sense when the latch hits home.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 09-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem with my Q7 2011, could hear the latch trying to lock then door would bounce back half a foot. It fixed itself eventually after 20 or so attempts, I'm not sure what happened. What I did, was to set a new height for the rear door (you hold the door at the desired height by hands and press the "close" button for 5+ seconds), but it could be something else, I can't tell for sure.

Good luck with the hatch, keep us posted.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It was the latch or lock in the rear hatch. P/N: 4F9-827-505. Service manager says it's the 3rd one they've replaced in two weeks.

They also did an ECM Update. Now the AdBlue light is on and won't go out after I added a little over a gallon of AdBlue fluid. I wonder if that's related.

First warning on that low AdBlue light is supposed to be 1500 miles. Mine first came on at 250 miles, and does not seem to want to go out. Arrggghhhh!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
It was the latch or lock in the rear hatch. P/N: 4F9-827-505.
Mine went in August. Dealer replaced a part and it's all fine now. Must be a design flaw.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They also did an ECM Update. Now the AdBlue light is on and won't go out after I added a little over a gallon of AdBlue fluid. I wonder if that's related.

First warning on that low AdBlue light is supposed to be 1500 miles. Mine first came on at 250 miles, and does not seem to want to go out. Arrggghhhh!
VAG-COM was able to turn it off. Thank you Uwe at Ross-Tech.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GreenG60
Had the same problem with my Q7 2011, could hear the latch trying to lock then door would bounce back half a foot. It fixed itself eventually after 20 or so attempts, I'm not sure what happened. What I did, was to set a new height for the rear door (you hold the door at the desired height by hands and press the "close" button for 5+ seconds), but it could be something else, I can't tell for sure.

Good luck with the hatch, keep us posted.
Happened on my MY08 Q7. Reading posts on how to fix this in the forum, tried WD40 on both latch and strike plate, tried resetting the height as well, but no luck. I finally found out that on mine, there was a spring that pulls the strike bar up when you the trunk is opened that broke at the hooks. Without the spring in place, the strike will not be positioned properly for the latch to grab hold, which causes the rear hatch to spring back up. I could eventually get the trunk to close by the fourth try but was a pain. I managed to repair the spring by bending the end to form a hook, this made it shorter than stock but was the best solution (this size spring was hard to find) Hoping this will hold for a while. Mounted the spring back and is good as new.

Hope above will help someone else.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

2010 Q7 3.0 TDI. Rear hatch closed just fine on two different occasions this AM, but the 3rd time it goes fully closed, bounces and pulls back a few inches from fully closed - like it is hitting something when the latch tries to close.

Any thoughts?
Hi,guys,i need some help here,i know this thread started a while back,but thort you guys could help..........my q7 tailgate is closing ok,but leaves a gap,bigger than it should when in the closed position( i know this cuz other q7's ive seen have a much smaller gap.

Ive tried to pull the striker plate in(towards the boot floor,but then it dont close,the tailgate bounces back,so the only way it will close is if the striker is adjusted upwards towards the bumper,but then theres the issue with the gap.

Ive tried to adjust the lock on the actual tailgate,but theres no adjustment on that(unless ive missed it ) whats going wrong here? Ive tried close the lid with no latch on the car,but even that way,still seems a bigger gap,and also without a latch on the car,the tailgate still bounces back.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

l
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

2010 Q7 3.0 TDI. Rear hatch closed just fine on two different occasions this AM, but the 3rd time it goes fully closed, bounces and pulls back a few inches from fully closed - like it is hitting something when the latch tries to close.

Any thoughts?
Hi,guys,i need some help here,i know this thread started a while back,but thort you guys could help..........my q7 tailgate is closing ok,but leaves a gap,bigger than it should when in the closed position( i know this cuz other q7's ive seen have a much smaller gap.

Ive tried to pull the striker plate in(towards the boot floor,but then it dont close,the tailgate bounces back,so the only way it will close is if the striker is adjusted upwards towards the bumper,but then theres the issue with the gap.

If i try to close the tailgate when its set at a different height,it definatley wont close,it needs a good thud to close if set halfway,and i press close button,it wont close.

Other q7's ive seen the tailgate closes slowly and clicks tight shut.

Ive tried to adjust the lock on the actual tailgate,but theres no adjustment on that(unless ive missed it ) whats going wrong here? Ive tried close the lid with no latch on the car,but even that way,still seems a bigger gap,and also without a latch on the car,the tailgate still bounces back.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My spring is broken as well

Originally Posted by ngoha
Happened on my MY08 Q7. Reading posts on how to fix this in the forum, tried WD40 on both latch and strike plate, tried resetting the height as well, but no luck. I finally found out that on mine, there was a spring that pulls the strike bar up when you the trunk is opened that broke at the hooks. Without the spring in place, the strike will not be positioned properly for the latch to grab hold, which causes the rear hatch to spring back up. I could eventually get the trunk to close by the fourth try but was a pain. I managed to repair the spring by bending the end to form a hook, this made it shorter than stock but was the best solution (this size spring was hard to find) Hoping this will hold for a while. Mounted the spring back and is good as new.

Hope above will help someone else.
But I don't know how to reconnect it. I'm thinking I have to buy a new striker plate assembly. Anyone have the part number for a 2007 Q7?

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Won't Close