Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear screen washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear screen washer

Fluid has stopped spraying on the screen. Not a drop. I can hear the pump working and there is no wet patch under the car so I assume a kincked delivery pipe. Yes?

If so, or not, where is the fault likely to be? My first guess is around the tailgate hinge but if anyone has had a similar problem and knows the likely answer then I would be greatful for some clue before the trim is ripped out.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could fluid be frozen? I had the issue when I left my car outside - despite using fluid that was not supposed to freeze. When it warmed- it was fine again. Same issue as you.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It has been like this for six weeks. Not been freezing every day and is usually 2-5C

It has been like this for eight weeks. It has been cold, but not below freezing for the most part so it is certainly something else. It could be that it started malfunctioning during freezing weather though, but that is not certain.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 24wheeler
It has been like this for eight weeks. It has been cold, but not below freezing for the most part so it is certainly something else. It could be that it started malfunctioning during freezing weather though, but that is not certain.
How is your washer fluid level?

If it sprays on the windshield and not on rear window it does not nececcarily mean there is a problem. Washer fluid comes from one tank to both washers but the pick-up for the rear washer is positioned higher on the tank. When level goes below this point the spray will stop to the rear window but works for front. I'm not sure if it is built this way but mine works like this and I think it is very clever way to do it so you don't run out of washer fluid in both ends at the same time. When it stops working for rear you know it is time to refill even as it stil works for front and low level warning is stil not on.

Arrie
Old 02-21-2010, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is so much salt applied to the roads these days that I have re-filled the reservoir three or four times since the fault developed. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ashleey has exactly the same problem as you. It made me nervous about using spray without antifreeze additive. I think they must freeze and then a connector is forced apart inside somewhere. Mine is a bit lame right now, not really getting up high enough.
Be sure to post findings.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know if you have the same problem as me but my jets were blocked on the rear window.

Easy fix, just pop off the plastic round cover at the bottom of the wiper ( covers the bolt that goes into the window ) then pull off the black plastic jet which is the thing that angles the jets to the window.

At this point try the rear washer yet to see if this is the problem as if it is you should get a jet of water shooting straight back. If it is the problem simply push a needle done the jets to unblock and refit.

Make sense ?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I really should do it before it stops and pops.
I know in my trucks they gunge up at the pick up so you hear motor, tank is full but nothing emerges. Only difference is its really easy to strip out and rinse the gauze. The confusing thing for you guys is the way the front is still working perfectly from one reservoir.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 02-22-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BigladUK
Don't know if you have the same problem as me but my jets were blocked on the rear window.

Easy fix, just pop off the plastic round cover at the bottom of the wiper ( covers the bolt that goes into the window ) then pull off the black plastic jet which is the thing that angles the jets to the window.

At this point try the rear washer yet to see if this is the problem as if it is you should get a jet of water shooting straight back. If it is the problem simply push a needle done the jets to unblock and refit.

Make sense ?
Brilliant, thank you for posting this! It saved me a lot of time. I was ready to remove the wheel and wheel arch liner and start tracing it back before I ran across this great little nugget that you posted, and found that this was my only problem.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmjq7tdi
Brilliant, thank you for posting this! It saved me a lot of time. I was ready to remove the wheel and wheel arch liner and start tracing it back before I ran across this great little nugget that you posted, and found that this was my only problem.
much appreciated help ...i'm the same .My Q7 never had fluid at rear and I always wondered why ….but now I can hopefully fix ...thanks for all recommendations posted !

Quick Reply: Rear screen washer