Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Seats Shake Over Bumps. rumbles and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seats Shake Over Bumps. rumbles and rattles

I have an 08 Audi Q7, and whenever I go over any rough surfaces, especially train tracks I hear an excessive amount of rumble coming from the middle row. I can clearly see it's the middle row when I look back in my rear view mirror, you can see the seats shaking and vibrating. when I got home I tested it out by hitting the seats to see where the sound was coming from. it seems to mainly come from the seat that is behind the front passenger side. when I hit the seat front(where you sit) I hear the same rumble and it seems like the seat is loose. The whole row makes the noise, however the passenger side seat makes the noise the most. I put some tape on the the exposed metal locking mechanism located on the middle seat when you fold it down, but it didn't solve anything. I was going to try to remove the seats and begin adding tape to metal on metal surfaces that would cause the sound, but I don't know how to remove the seats. if anybody has a solution to this issue, please feel free to give me any feedback. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

You sure it's not the third row? If those seats are down, it would be worth lifting them up and taking another drive, just to eliminate them. Not uncommon for those to rattle when down, at least in my experience.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

are you sure the seat is clamped all the way back? is there some obstruction holding it forward slightly?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have a 08 and my noise definitely comes from the second row and mainly from the passenger side seat. It is worse with the seat back in the upright position and the noise is greatly reduced if I lean the seat back. It's as if the locking bracket has too much clearance in the upright position and is tighter when leaned back. More of a band aid than a fix, but hope that helps some.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ok I'll try that, thanks.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ok I'll try that, thanks. it is the middle row not the third, because I can recreate the noise it makes just by hitting the seat. also the seat seems loose compared to the driver side seat. when I hit the seat it moves tremendously, and when I hit the driver side middle row seat not much movement. I feel like it could be a bolt, or something to do with the latch, but it's hard to check without removing the whole seat, which I'm unsure about.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yall please find it!
I have faced it in our 2011 and 2015 both. I have laid down back there like a ninja trying to find it and had no luck. but like you all it is definitely 2nd row passenger area for me also.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually now that I think of it, lol.
I have this same seat rattle.
But I have not heard it in a long time, I think because I have a toddler seat and a bunch of junk all over the rear seats.
I think the junk is weighing it down so it stopped rattling.
I had forgotten how annoying it was and was trying to pinpoint it until I totally forgot about it.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I to have a rattle that is driving me nuts!
I don't really listen to the radio so I hear things.
I am pretty sure mine is the rear sunroof, as I open it it quiets or quits all together, but closed I get the rattle.
I am going to check my seats though and I to have a child seat that makes all kids of racket empty.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh my 2015 is doing the same thing!!! Driving me CRAZY! I keep telling my kids to listen for the sound and they cannot figure it out. I am certain it is the middle row -- maybe it needs to be tightened. When I bring the '15 in for the diesel fix I am going to ask them to figure it out. My husband has an A4 that also rattles somewhere in the interior.

Quick Reply: Rear Seats Shake Over Bumps. rumbles and rattles