Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Remote start for Q7

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Yea giving up a key really bumps the cost up for me because I don't have one I can let go, I would need to get one.

IIRC there was a add-on module could emulate a key by reading your existing key, or maybe it was by adding a key to the system using a programmer. But the idea was you didn't need to give up a physical key or fob and the module masqueraded as a key. There is a local guy, not Audi, who can encode Audi keys and add them to the car using a programmer. Problem is he charges not much less than Audi. But if third party devices can do it I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for a remote start module. I will do some more googling as it's possible I was confusing the solution for an older Audi or non relevent config.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dballs
Ryan -

Who did the system for you? I live in the Minneapolis area and am trying to find someone to do this install.

Thanks!
Dusty
same here. let me know if you find someone here in Twin Cities that is willing to do it.

thank you
Old 02-21-2020, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isaac

I have a q7 tdi. It actually warms up quite quickly and the heated seats are a plus. As far as the remote start, it’s the only thing I’d like to have put in. Is there one brand that matches better with the Audi than another?
Originally Posted by Ctsearay
Isaac,

do you ever get to CT? LOL! All the technology in this Q7 and I cant have what GM had 5 years ago !! Ice Storm after ice storm here this week. And not to mention the car doesn't heat up for VERY longtime. I'm seriously hating cold weather now that I have a "German Engineered" vehicle how the hell does that work??
Old 02-22-2020, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Amy Lewis
I have a q7 tdi. It actually warms up quite quickly and the heated seats are a plus. As far as the remote start, it’s the only thing I’d like to have put in. Is there one brand that matches better with the Audi than another?
Not sure I'd do a remote start with a diesel (I have a '13 TDI). Idle time is the number one contributor to soot load in the trucks I deal with every day for work (engineering manager for a large truck body builder). The TDI's have a very short warm-up time...
Old 02-24-2020, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good feedback @cuatrokoop I've had my autostart for 5 years now and it's magnificent, so far. (2013 Q7 TDI PP)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Hconnickjr
That's good feedback @cuatrokoop I've had my autostart for 5 years now and it's magnificent, so far. (2013 Q7 TDI PP)
Deal with 400+ trucks built each year with highway or T4F engines, you learn a lot about component failure modes and reliability. I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Our customers in cold weather climates have idle shut-down timers to protect the engine/exhaust, but they will run Wabasto or Espar heaters to keep the coolant warm. I just had a conversation about this today with a maintenance G.M. from Alaska who was visiting our shop. He has Espar heaters on all of his trucks, he'll have them turned on ~2hrs before the shift starts. Some of the Espars have the timer/controller that has temperature hold points that he targets for a 30-on/30-off duty cycle with a 60F hold point. The heaters are cheaper in the long run than letting the truck idle to keep warm and have down-time due to DPF soot loading and/or clogged EGR valves throwing MILs and going into limp modes (or worse).
Old 03-03-2020, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, no sarcasm intended here. I was glad that you offered the "other side of the coin" to autostarts. I really don't know that side of the equation.

Mine's been great, but I don't know about long-term, environment, soot load and other things. It's more for comfort than engine health for me. I'm open to other constructive viewpoints and I benefit from them.

Anyone do a block heater in their TDI? Most cars where I live (Canadian border) have them added on. It's a necessary piece of equipment here.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Hconnickjr
No, no sarcasm intended here. I was glad that you offered the "other side of the coin" to autostarts. I really don't know that side of the equation.

Mine's been great, but I don't know about long-term, environment, soot load and other things. It's more for comfort than engine health for me. I'm open to other constructive viewpoints and I benefit from them.

Anyone do a block heater in their TDI? Most cars where I live (Canadian border) have them added on. It's a necessary piece of equipment here.
Block heater, Espar (factory option) or Wabasto heater would be far more beneficial to you than the remote start. Even a pan heater would be better than nothing. I've not looked to see if anyone offers a block heater for the 3.0L. Soot can clog up the EGR and DPF, both of which can be a nightmare (ask any Ford/Navistar 6.0 or 6.4 owner), so you want to minimize idle time.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smart start with keyless entry

Hey Guys great thread

Who ever got the smartstart installed on the audi q7 2005-2009 can you please white what you needed e.g bypass module valey key smartstart harness with model number and so on.

I live in denmark and I got no one here so any help would be appreciated

Old 11-28-2020, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

If you live in Denmark you probably already have a Webasto Aux heater, you just need to get the remote to fire it up by its self.. maybe a N279 valve too.