Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Requesting free advice - keep '07 Q or trade for new?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requesting free advice - keep '07 Q or trade for new?

Ordered my 2007 Q7/4.2, and it was delivered July 2006. Quartz gray/espresso brown with everything, but I deleted the sunroof. Car now has 61K miles, and I have new Q fever. HOWEVER, I've had no significant problems with the Q, it's still a beautiful car in terrific condition, and is one of the best cars I've owned. Also, I'm not seeing much difference in my '07 and, say, the 2011 3.0 premium plus. Basically equivalent looks inside and out, with the 2011 having a little better mileage, little less hp, led's, etc.
So, why trade? Main thing that comes to mind is, with no warranty, I could get hit with a large repair bill anytime.
Thoughts/opinions will be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain, especially regarding living without a warranty, its like walking across a minefield, just a matter of time till you step on one. (This german cars anyway.)

You'll get more torque, and the new car smell, also, now is the best time to sell your Q7... demand is high and its worth more now than it will be anytime later than now.

If you don't mind having a payment... go for it. If you hope to live without a car payment one day soon maybe keep it.

my 10 cents.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What will be the cost differential on the trade-in? If you park that cash instead of trading up, you'll have a pretty good war-chest against future repairs (especially without the sunroof, so no potential for dreaded sunroof leak).

Also, you said you like your car and it's been relatively issue free. Sometimes its best to stick with the devil you know.

That said, the LED lights and pop-up Harmon Kardon's are pretty cool.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would keep your 07. The 11's are a lot more expensive for little difference/improvement. I would wait for the redesign which may happen in '13(or could be the Q7's swan song if others here are right). I am going through the dreaded roof leak(which may be unrelated to the SR in my case) but otherwsie mine has been great too. You have the awesome 350hp 4.2 V8 which could never be replaced by the 3.0 S/C IMO.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't think the leds, harmon kardon, a few more miles/gallons worth $30k. At least that's what my wife thinks. Keep the car and wait for the totally new, radical Q7 in 2012 or 2013, I still don't know when they will actually exist.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am keeping mine for now as wifey and I are in the "increase your networth" mode. Seriously, I think the 4.2 is hard to give up. I am itching for the Cayenne Turbo though. Waiting for the price of A8 to come out.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeanDoc 997
I am keeping mine for now as wifey and I are in the "increase your networth" mode. Seriously, I think the 4.2 is hard to give up. I am itching for the Cayenne Turbo though. Waiting for the price of A8 to come out.
I am going from an 07 3.6 to the new 333 hp, so it would be noticeable. Of course, if all I wanted was more punch, I could just trade up for a used 4.2 for just a few grand. Yeah, I am a new car junkie, I admit it. Admission is the first step towards recovery.

BTW - in the Mugello Blue thread, the poster says the 333 hp with 8 speed out accelerates the 4.2. Woo hoo!!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Having just moved from an '07 to an '11, I will say there are some noticeable differences... Inside cabin noise is much less (my old Q only had 28K miles on it after 3.2 years).. the updates to the MMI are very nice (3d nav, better display of information, etc).

Build quality is still spot on, but that is to be expected...

The 8 speed tranny is really smooth... quiet a different beast in daily driving, versus the quick shift of the '07...

Its the little things that I am noticing.. of course model year changes makes a difference in those... but I am happy to have them :-)
Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

The cheapest car to operate is the one that's paid for, even with repairs thrown in. You can always get a 3rd party warranty if it worries you. The service rep at my dealer didn't specify which one was the one he'd recommend by name, but did mention that some are much better than others. As in some make you pay out of pocket and get reimbursed while others make it nearly transparent.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can afford it then sure go for it. But if it were I; I'd make the next car that I trade in for or trade up to be the one I keep and drive into the ground. That's just how I am, i make an investment and I stick with it until it's done.

Quick Reply: Requesting free advice - keep '07 Q or trade for new?