Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rough idling after starting..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the sound is like a whistle or harmonic type of sound when accellorating. Not sure how to betterdescribe it, could be a vaccum hose that was not secured when they did the oil dampener TSB. It was not heard prior to thatand now is very obvious. It does not necessarily sound bad, just not normal. As for the oil, I do not think that normal is anything other than a manufacturers way of saying, suck it up! Sometimes the smoke is more and sometimes it is less, it is the height of summer, I may be able to look past this in the winter, but not now. Fortunately my service guys are great to work with, but I really am starting to know them more than I should, when I start asking how there kids are doing by name,then I know I am all done, lol!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NHQ7
Yes the sound is like a whistle or harmonic type of sound when accellorating. Not sure how to betterdescribe it, could be a vaccum hose that was not secured when they did the oil dampener TSB. It was not heard prior to thatand now is very obvious. It does not necessarily sound bad, just not normal. As for the oil, I do not think that normal is anything other than a manufacturers way of saying, suck it up! Sometimes the smoke is more and sometimes it is less, it is the height of summer, I may be able to look past this in the winter, but not now. Fortunately my service guys are great to work with, but I really am starting to know them more than I should, when I start asking how there kids are doing by name,then I know I am all done, lol!
Does the oil dampener job require removing the intake manifold from the engine? I guess it does but not sure...

They could have seated intake manifold gasket wrongly, which allows air leak. I don't know if Audi gasket is a type of a lip seal as in my Tahoe it was, which made a high pitch noise when air flow vibrated that lip of the gasket. Noice pitch went higher with higher engine speed.

It sort of sounds like an old radio in a car picking alternator frequency...

Arrie
Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Arrie, it is that type of a sound. I am not sure exactly whatthe TSB was. They told my wife it was a motor mount. When I followed up with them about the noise, I sayed after you did the motor mount, they then stated it was not a moutn but actually part of the oil filter housing and maybe is best described as a dampener......
Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ignition coils, carbonized valves

Had the rough idle problem slowly appear with my '07 Q4.2 - dealer identified main cause as carbonized valves. Did an in place soaking and cleaning of the valves under warranty. My Q had 45K miles at the time - dealer said he had done the valve cleaning procedure on Q's with as little as 25K miles. He also performed a service campaign to replace faulty ignition coils. Have driven 10K miles since then, problem has not returned.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arkbbq
Had the rough idle problem slowly appear with my '07 Q4.2 - dealer identified main cause as carbonized valves. Did an in place soaking and cleaning of the valves under warranty. My Q had 45K miles at the time - dealer said he had done the valve cleaning procedure on Q's with as little as 25K miles. He also performed a service campaign to replace faulty ignition coils. Have driven 10K miles since then, problem has not returned.
Interesting, I assume the same would be true on the 3.6?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got back from the dealer and the rough idling (dieselish sound) and was told it is normal and the sound is the Secondary Air Injection system which causes the catalytic converter to heat up more quickly, resulting in earlier operating readiness following cold start.

Due to over enrichment of the mixture during the cold start phase, there is an increased amount of uncombusted carbon monoxide in the exhaust. The Secondary Air Injection (AIR) improves secondary oxidation in the catalytic converter and therefore reduces emissions. The heat produced by secondary oxidation greatly reduces start-up time for the catalytic converter, therefore improving exhaust quality during the cold start phase significantly.

I am not sure if it is the truth or not but surely sounds good.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That sounds like a reasonable explanation, however the details of it and the particular system are over my head.... I can tell you that afterthe TSB was complete, that sound was gone!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KBLOVE
Just got back from the dealer and the rough idling (dieselish sound) and was told it is normal and the sound is the Secondary Air Injection system which causes the catalytic converter to heat up more quickly, resulting in earlier operating readiness following cold start.

Due to over enrichment of the mixture during the cold start phase, there is an increased amount of uncombusted carbon monoxide in the exhaust. The Secondary Air Injection (AIR) improves secondary oxidation in the catalytic converter and therefore reduces emissions. The heat produced by secondary oxidation greatly reduces start-up time for the catalytic converter, therefore improving exhaust quality during the cold start phase significantly.

I am not sure if it is the truth or not but surely sounds good.
Sounds like the truth. Your vehicle has a problem and they are admitting to it. Tell them to fix the problem and then ask them what the problem was. Don't ever walk away..That's a NO NO. Let them deal with it and if they can't you can quickly go up the chain of command. Are you under warranty?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by anahuac
Sounds like the truth. Your vehicle has a problem and they are admitting to it. Tell them to fix the problem and then ask them what the problem was. Don't ever walk away..That's a NO NO. Let them deal with it and if they can't you can quickly go up the chain of command. Are you under warranty?
What problem? They aren't admitting the car has a problem, they are explaining why it makes the noise at start-up and that it is NORMAL. Mine does exactly the same thing, as do all 3.6's.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anahuac
All 3.6 Q7 have the Secondary Air Injection system which happens to make the diesel like sound therefore it is not a problem it is just part of the normal startup. My Q is a '09 with 9,300 miles and turns 1 at the end of the month so it is still under full warranty.

Quick Reply: Rough idling after starting..