Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sprint Booster Install in a Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sprint Booster Install in a Q7

Hello,

A friend of mine has a 2012 Q7. He is very disappointed with the drive by wire throttle lag. As a result, he just purchased a Sprint Booster 2.

I'm not trying to start a spring booster debate with this thread. Rather, I'm trying to get advice from anyone who has installed one in a Q7 (or other late model Audi) as he has asked for my help with his install (I installed one in my Mercedes - and love it, by the way). I did not mind installing it in my own car (if I break something I'm the only one who suffers), but do not want to take the same risk with his vehicle.

Can anyone shed any light on how easy it is to get at the connector on the accelerator pedal? What might I need to remove in the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

installation is plug and play and takes about twenty minutes... unplug the plug from the pedal, plug it into the sb then plug that wire into the pedal. hide wires, tuck away so it does not intefere with driving, start the car and drive away.

/thread.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
installation is plug and play and takes about twenty minutes... unplug the plug from the pedal, plug it into the sb then plug that wire into the pedal. hide wires, tuck away so it does not intefere with driving, start the car and drive away.

/thread.
Do I need to remove any of the lower dash panel (under the steering wheel) or are you saying the connector on the pedal is visible without removing anything? I have not yet seen the car, but my friend seemed to indicate that the connector at the top of the accelerator pedal was not visible from a quick look at the area. He felt it would require some dis-assembly to get at it.

Having installed a SB on my car I know its plug and play. The question is whether I should expect some amount of dis-assembly to get at the connector on the pedal?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

either way you should drop the knee pad so you can neatly tuck the wires away on any car...
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i did it on my q7 I removed the lower black pannel and I also removed the pedal. there is very little room to install the sprint booster and then replug in the existing wire harness. It is not hard to remove the pedal or the pannel it in total it took me 10 min to do the install.
-
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Do I need to remove any of the lower dash panel (under the steering wheel) or are you saying the connector on the pedal is visible without removing anything? I have not yet seen the car, but my friend seemed to indicate that the connector at the top of the accelerator pedal was not visible from a quick look at the area. He felt it would require some dis-assembly to get at it.

Having installed a SB on my car I know its plug and play. The question is whether I should expect some amount of dis-assembly to get at the connector on the pedal?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited by arp2nr; 08-24-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arp2nr
when i did it on my q7 I removed the lower black pannel and I also removed the pedal. there is very little room to install the sprint booster and then replug in the existing wire harness. It is not hard to remove the pedal or the pannel it in total it took me 10 min to do the install.
-
Thank you - this is helpful information.

Did you disconnect the battery cable? I have read posts here from folks who installed the SB in Audi's who said they disconnected their battery cable. I did not do that with my MB and all was well. I rather not, unless it is necessary.

Also, did you get the improvement in throttle response you had hoped for? For my C55, it was a night and day difference.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you disconnect the battery cable you are likely to have to reprogram the battery with VCDS in which case you could just reprogram the throttle response anyway and not bother with the sprint booster.
Someone wrote a great article on AW about this before but I havent found it again yet. Not even sure if it was Q7 or A6 or what.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTI did not disconnect the battery, it is located under the drivers seat if you want to know. It does improove the throttle responce.E=mgiannetto;24187884]Thank you - this is helpful information.

Did you disconnect the battery cable? I have read posts here from folks who installed the SB in Audi's who said they disconnected their battery cable. I did not do that with my MB and all was well. I rather not, unless it is necessary.

Also, did you get the improvement in throttle response you had hoped for? For my C55, it was a night and day difference.

Thanks,

Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Former Vendor

i removed the bottom panel for sure its a tight spot but its doable.

I have a slightly used one up for sale...
Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

how much for the used one?

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster Install in a Q7