Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sprint Booster Install in a Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what are the real world impressions from those who have used the booster?. I must admit I am getting seriously hacked off with the delays on my 333S - strangely enough they seem to have got worse after the 5k service - and ready to try anything. does it produce a noticeable improvement? Does it alleviate the huge delay from the brake over-ride (as a left foot braker I would really like to find some way to get rid of that useless feature - kind of surprised no-one has been able to code it out?)

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
If you disconnect the battery cable you are likely to have to reprogram the battery with VCDS in which case you could just reprogram the throttle response anyway and not bother with the sprint booster.
Someone wrote a great article on AW about this before but I haven't found it again yet. Not even sure if it was Q7 or A6 or what.

JfF, are there options in VCDS to change the throttle response programming? Are they effective? Does this mean i would be better spending the money on a VAgcom?. getting to the stage now I will try anything...

Last edited by scotskier; 08-30-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am also very interested in a sprint booster for the Audi. Have one in my MB as well and has made a world of difference. I have been complaining about the lag since I got the car and my MB did the same thing until I got a Sprint Booster. Was hoping that the tranny would adjust and shift properly but I am gathering from your discussions that that is not the case..... Where are you guys getting your Sprint Boosters?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend bought his from this place:

http://www.gmpperformance.com/

I think gmp also sells them on ebay for a few dollars less than as listed on their site. They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee - so there is no risk.

I have one in my MB (C55) and it "totally transformed" the car. I can't speak for how well it will work on the Q7. My friend tested mine and immediately ordered one for his car. Since I installed mine he asked for my help - thus the reason for my initial post.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

buy them from phil at detailer's domain.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
My friend bought his from this place:

http://www.gmpperformance.com/

I think gmp also sells them on ebay for a few dollars less than as listed on their site. They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee - so there is no risk.

I have one in my MB (C55) and it "totally transformed" the car. I can't speak for how well it will work on the Q7. My friend tested mine and immediately ordered one for his car. Since I installed mine he asked for my help - thus the reason for my initial post.

Thanks for the info. Have one in the E63 and love it. Just ordered from GMP. Will install as soon as I get it and update on improvements.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK folks, completed the install today and all I can say is I have a very happy friend on my hands - got a free lunch at PF Changs out of it for doing the install. He's "thrilled". I'm not surprised.

A comment on the install.

I did drop the lower dash panel - two torx screws and some tugging to get it out. I was able to easily remove the clip for the OBD2 port, but not the connector for the footwell light. I tried, but could not get the clip holding the wires to the light out. It's not my car and I did not want to break anything. However, I was able to lower and move the panel far enough out of the way to see the connector at the top left edge of the accelerator. Install was easy at that point. I tucked the wire for the button behind the side dash molding and mounted the switch just sticking out of the molding on the tunnel by the drivers footwell just under the dash - its held on by the pressure of the molding pinching it to the wall. Wires easily stashed behind the side dash panel. Very clean install.

Thanks to those who posted comments. It was easy except for the damn footwell light connection.

Regards,

Mike
Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how much snappier is the throttle response? overall driving impressions?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can you post actual pics of the button and the actual device installed?

Im thinking of doing this myself as well.

Thanks

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
OK folks, completed the install today and all I can say is I have a very happy friend on my hands - got a free lunch at PF Changs out of it for doing the install. He's "thrilled". I'm not surprised.

A comment on the install.

I did drop the lower dash panel - two torx screws and some tugging to get it out. I was able to easily remove the clip for the OBD2 port, but not the connector for the footwell light. I tried, but could not get the clip holding the wires to the light out. It's not my car and I did not want to break anything. However, I was able to lower and move the panel far enough out of the way to see the connector at the top left edge of the accelerator. Install was easy at that point. I tucked the wire for the button behind the side dash molding and mounted the switch just sticking out of the molding on the tunnel by the drivers footwell just under the dash - its held on by the pressure of the molding pinching it to the wall. Wires easily stashed behind the side dash panel. Very clean install.

Thanks to those who posted comments. It was easy except for the damn footwell light connection.

Regards,

Mike
Old 09-05-2011, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
how much snappier is the throttle response? overall driving impressions?
It's "night and day" different.

Here's what my buddy said in his e-mail to me after driving the car home (post installation of the sprint booster).

"It's awesome Mike - totally changed the driving experience of the car - a total home run - thanks so much for your help".

Another friend in my office (he has a 535i) heard about the results of the sprint booster in the Q7 and asked if I would install one in his car. I said I would, so he ordered one and it looks like I've got another one to install. :-)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cerealkillah
Can you post actual pics of the button and the actual device installed?

Im thinking of doing this myself as well.

Thanks
I did not take pictures of the install - did this in the parking lot at work. That should give you an idea how easy it is to inatall.

You will need a Torx 15 head screw driver to remove the lower panel. In my opinion, you do not need to remove the pedal. The connector is at the top left side of the pedal - easy to see once you drop or push away the lower dash panel. I will attach pics of where I installed the button om my car. I put it roughly in the same spot on the Q7.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster Install in a Q7