Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Sprint Booster Install in a Q7

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the sprint booster work well on both TFSI and TDI motors?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
I did not take pictures of the install - did this in the parking lot at work. That should give you an idea how easy it is to inatall.

You will need a Torx 15 head screw driver to remove the lower panel. In my opinion, you do not need to remove the pedal. The connector is at the top left side of the pedal - easy to see once you drop or push away the lower dash panel. I will attach pics of where I installed the button om my car. I put it roughly in the same spot on the Q7.

Thanks for the pics bro. I did the install in 20mins and that's because the damn space is too tight! I had to remove the lower panel (2 T20 torx screws) to gain access to the connectors.

I only test drove it for 10 mins and already feel the difference (agressive mode). I'm afraid at some point I will get used to the "newly-found" throttle response
Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any more feedbacks from other members on the Sprint Booster.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So trying to understand the logic behind this

I can't see it affecting engine tune at all, correct ?
just making the drive by wire throttle react quicker ?

Since it is NOT affecting the engine tune, all it is doing is making the reaction to the throttle position quicker ? i.e. as if you pushed the throttle faster than you really did and thus 'feeling' like it is faster ?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

think 'sport' mode on a larger scale. this really isnt that difficult.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just fitted this morning, so not really tried out yet. As others have said, real easy install, the switch fitted really nicely on the inside of the center dash tray. So long as it reduces the brake overide lag I will be satisfied
Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Installed a sprint booster on my Q7 07 TDI today. It was quite an easy install. For the foot well light, it was just to push it out of the lid. I would suggest connecting the cable for the remote control into the SB before plugging the SB unit into the socket. It is almost impossible to install it afterwards, because it is on the back side of the unit, and the space is very limited.

My impression of the performance is improved, just drove a few km with it so far.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
So trying to understand the logic behind this

I can't see it affecting engine tune at all, correct ?
just making the drive by wire throttle react quicker ?

Since it is NOT affecting the engine tune, all it is doing is making the reaction to the throttle position quicker ? i.e. as if you pushed the throttle faster than you really did and thus 'feeling' like it is faster ?

It is very hard to explain why the sprint booster works the way it does. I will attempt to do so as I have now installed it on 2 cars (one over 5 years ago and now the Q7). Pushing the throttle down on a car w/ drive by wire causes it to kick down into a lower gear, or two, and then the car responds. The problem w/ that is there is a delay w/ the computer deciding to kick down. This happens from start or when attempting to get a little more accel for passing.

The Sprint Booster works well for MB AMG cars because it helps the ECU to learn a slightly more aggressive driving style and allows the car to hold gear a little longer and thus the shift points don't result in as much jerking. Again the Sprint Booster in that car has made a world of difference, and is the single best mod I have EVER done to it. Having 520hp eagerly awaiting your slightest flick of the foot is intoxicating...

The Q7 thus far is much better than stock, it accelerates better in the driving mode (green light) and a little too aggressively in the race mode (red light). Install was easy w/ dropping the panel and then connecting the sprint booster to the upper left part of the pedal. Wires tuck away well as everyone says and you can even tuck the button/light behind mid console for easy access but completely hidden install. Acceleration while driving is great, no further need to mash the pedal to get response. With the Sprint Booster in race mode when you tap the accelerator it tries to kick down 2-3 gears and thus hesitates and then really accels (hence the reason I am not using this mode). Anyway, have had it for 3 days and has been quite fun. Should get better and smoother as the ECU learns more.
Sorry for the gibberish. If I can more concisely say this I will attempt to again in a later post :-) Happy motoring....

Last edited by Q7AMG; 09-13-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm considering picking up a SB for my Q, I was wondering how does this compared to the Audi sport modes we have on the Q?

And would putting the Q in audi S mode and applying the sprint boosters sport mode?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

i think this is just a trick, there is no improvement, it just makes you think there is.

its only response time here, thats all. no effect on performance.

i bet if you times 0-62 mph it would be no better.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster Install in a Q7