Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

STRONGLY Considering Q7 Lease, but I have 4 kids all in car seats... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STRONGLY Considering Q7 Lease, but I have 4 kids all in car seats... HELP!

Hey All

I am in the market for a new truck and am really wanting to get into a Q7 for obvious reasons.

We have 4 kids - all in car seats and I REFUSE to get a mini-van. SCREW THAT!!

The plan with whatever we end up buying is to put 2 car seats in the 3rd row and 2 in the 2nd row.

None of the kids are old enough to strap themselves yet, so what I want to know is will it be a pain in the rear moving 2 kids in and out of the 3rd row?

RIght now we have an Armada LE which has been great, but we can only put 1 car seat in the 3rd row. Which means we have 3 in the 2nd row. So we have to throw one of them in the liftgate and climb in to strap them. Real pain.

Don't want to have to do that anymore.

I understand it won't be easy in any SUV, but was hoping it won't be a total pain in a Q7 because we really like it.

Hopefully someone in here has experience with this many or almost as many kids and this vehicle.

Let me know please

Thanks!
Jay D
Old 10-03-2011, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if they are full on child seats it is going to be a pain since you wont be able to move the 2nd row with a child seat installed...
Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If none of them are in boosters, you're going to have the same issue as in the Armada. The second row slides forward, but probably not enough to squeeze into the second row with a child in arms. You could put three in the second row and only leave one half the third row up making access through the trunk easier....
Old 10-03-2011, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

only way around it is if you get the captain's chairs... this way you can just walk through the center like a minivan but still retain the suv styling/handling.

the other option is a mb r-class... sure it is a refined "town and country" but it is a nice minivan and most likely the only one i would ever own.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed that 4 will be difficult unless you can strap 2 into the "60" portion of the 60/40 and 2 in the third row. That leaves the "40" portion available to slide forward to get everyone in.

We just gave up our Honda Odyssey Touring minivan and took on a 2012 Q7 S-line. It was a tough decision to let go of that van. Holds WAY more stuff than most of these SUVs. We are making do with 2 older kids and the Q7. With 4 younger kids in car seats I wouldn't hesitate to have a minivan. They are way under-rated.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agree, the Q7 like the Aramada with captains chair would be the way to go
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get a minivan.......and use the cash you save on condoms LOL. Seriously though, how old is the eldest? If it isn't going to be too long until they can strap themselves in put up with the slight difficulty until they are OK getting into row 3 themselves - It will surprise you how quickly time passes! Good luck!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Having 2 children in car seats (2.5 years and 9 months) and having to transport grandparents around when they visit - I cannot in good conscience recommend getting the Q7 if you have to strap more than 2 kids all in full child seats in a Q7 (if 2 of the 4 are in boosters then you're ok) .

Getting to the straps on the third row car seats will be a pain if you have car seats in the second row. And to add additional pain, some car seats (Britax) are so big that if you put it in the 3rd row and your toddler is longer than 20 inches, even with the second row pushed all the way forward their feet will be cramped uncomfortably up against the back of the second row. Keep in mind that the Q7 owners manual states specifically that the 3rd row is specifically designed for passengers under 5' 7". Anything over that and it's not all that comfortable.

If you absolutely cannot do a minivan, take a look at the new upcoming Infiniti JX to see if that will work better. The Chevy Traverse makes a nice machine too as an interim step until the kids get a little older and then you can trade in once the kids are able so self strap in the third row.

But agree with the other wise posters regarding ease of assisting kids with restraints, minivan or SUV with captains chairs in the second row is the best way to go with that many child seats.

Last edited by maximq7; 10-04-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

mercedes r63... at least look into it.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a minivan. You have 4 kids. No one is going to look down at you for owning a minivan. The Audi is the wrong vehicle for you right now. I can't even imagine having my wife tote four kids around in car seats. Not only that, but the interior of the Audi is much too nice for four toddlers. Get something you can hose down!

Quick Reply: STRONGLY Considering Q7 Lease, but I have 4 kids all in car seats... HELP!