Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

STRONGLY Considering Q7 Lease, but I have 4 kids all in car seats... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phil47
Couldn't agree more.

Minivans used to repulse me too...until I stopped listening to other "non owners" and bought a top end one and lived with it. Having said that, if you are really set on putting 4 kids (especially still in car seats) in something other than a minivan I would pick something other than the Q7. Go for an Escalade or a Suburban or an Infiniti QX or some other monster SUV or I suggest you will replace repulsion with frustration.
I tried entertaining the thought of a minivan, but just seeing them on the road next to me while driving makes me nauseous.

The Infinity QX has the same problem as my Armada LE (which is the QX with Nissan emblems)...

1 tether strap in 3rd row and no way to get to third row except for from tailgate.

Escalades and Suburbans will cost me much more than the Q7 because they're residual value is garbage and will cost me much more in gas since I'll be lucky to get 15 MPG.

Expedition is same deal as far as lease price and MPG.

Wanted an Expedition Limited which had a sticker of $41K and salesman told me I can lease it for $900 a month with $4K down. What a joke!

Thanks,

Jay D
Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
only way around it is if you get the captain's chairs... this way you can just walk through the center like a minivan but still retain the suv styling/handling.

the other option is a mb r-class... sure it is a refined "town and country" but it is a nice minivan and most likely the only one i would ever own.
Why would one want to retain SUV handling? SUV handling is terrible, and certainly worse than most minivans. Maybe not the Cayenne, but I've driven both and the Q7 is no Cayenne, not even close.

See my comment below on the R-class.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

suv handles better than minivan and q7 w/ adaptive suspension and 21" wheels handles very well, add cayenne rear sway bar and it handles extremely well...

i drove a 3.6 with the stock spring suspension and it was awful. underpowered, floaty, and a lot of body roll.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get a escalade the long version. I had a 2008 escalade and it was a great truck. No problems what so ever and the fit and finish was awesome. Never no rattles. I have a 2010 s5 now and it rattles. With that many car seats I would go with the long one. Maybe a gmc Yukon Denali xl. Same thing just 10 grand cheaper. I love gm products I have a 2010 gmc Sierra now also.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As for the R-class suggestions...

In 2007, we looked at both the Q7 and R-class when we upsized the family from 2 children to 3. We were moving from an allroad family car. We found that the R-class had a much better and more practical layout for accessing the children and loading stuff; the interior was just better designed for maximizing space and functionality. The R-class had much better handling and ride characteristics as well. Topping all that off, Mercedes also offered a diesel, which Audi was not yet offering. We opted for the MB, and being long time MB people (except 2 Audis & a Porsche) we bought it remembering the build quality and reliability of our old MB diesels.

HUGE MISTAKE.

While we still appreciate the layout and now realize that the Q7 (and similar SUV 7 passenger layouts) are ridiculously unworkable for those with more than 2 car-seats, we cannot in good conscience suggest that anyone ever even consider the R-class. Build quality and reliability have been worse than we could have imagined possible. The list of problems and poor MBNA responses has been too long for me to get into here without throwing my laptop across the room; suffice it to say that we are getting rid of this car, possibly for a Q7 (now that 2 of our 4 can go without child seats), AND WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MB AGAIN.

...and we definitely should have bought the allroad off lease. That was a great car, 3 years and never a single problem/issue.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMBGuy
As for the R-class suggestions...

In 2007, we looked at both the Q7 and R-class when we upsized the family from 2 children to 3. We were moving from an allroad family car. We found that the R-class had a much better and more practical layout for accessing the children and loading stuff; the interior was just better designed for maximizing space and functionality. The R-class had much better handling and ride characteristics as well. Topping all that off, Mercedes also offered a diesel, which Audi was not yet offering. We opted for the MB, and being long time MB people (except 2 Audis & a Porsche) we bought it remembering the build quality and reliability of our old MB diesels.

HUGE MISTAKE.

While we still appreciate the layout and now realize that the Q7 (and similar SUV 7 passenger layouts) are ridiculously unworkable for those with more than 2 car-seats, we cannot in good conscience suggest that anyone ever even consider the R-class. Build quality and reliability have been worse than we could have imagined possible. The list of problems and poor MBNA responses has been too long for me to get into here without throwing my laptop across the room; suffice it to say that we are getting rid of this car, possibly for a Q7 (now that 2 of our 4 can go without child seats), AND WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MB AGAIN.

...and we definitely should have bought the allroad off lease. That was a great car, 3 years and never a single problem/issue.
I am so glad to hear this. We cross-shopped the R-Class (and GL Class) prior to settling on the 2012 Q7. I never warmed up to the R-Class but my wife put huge pressure on me to consider it because of many of the reasons you stated. In the end a test drive in the Q7 Sport (S-line) convinced us both to grab one. We couldn't be happier...really a great vehicle. Sounds like we dodged a bullet!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
suv handles better than minivan and q7 w/ adaptive suspension and 21" wheels handles very well, add cayenne rear sway bar and it handles extremely well...

??? tell me more...
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by phil47
I am so glad to hear this. We cross-shopped the R-Class (and GL Class) prior to settling on the 2012 Q7. I never warmed up to the R-Class but my wife put huge pressure on me to consider it because of many of the reasons you stated. In the end a test drive in the Q7 Sport (S-line) convinced us both to grab one. We couldn't be happier...really a great vehicle. Sounds like we dodged a bullet!
You dodged a full on Iraq-style IED my friend. Live long and prosper.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will a hull size Infiniti QX56 with captains chairs in the middle room work?

Not as big (close, lol) as a full blown Escalade or Burb and not a mini van.

Geez, just typing mini van gives me the pee pee shivers...
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the end we bought a Volvo XC-90 over the Q7, this time.

What ultimately made the difference:

1. Volvo integrated booster meant that we can lose one booster seat, freeing up space and giving more seating flexibility.

2. The XC-90 2nd row is 40/20/40 and each seat slides and folds independently, offering much greater seating/cargo flexibility and better leg space options for the 2nd and 3rd row occupants.

3. The XC-90 has more cargo space behind the 3rd row.

4. We could get a CPO 2008 XC-90 with tons of warranty for the same price as an 2007 3.0 w/ more miles and no warranty.

All this being said we'll be needing to buy a 2nd car that can seat the whole family in a pinch soon and are more likely to opt for the Q7 then, as the above factors won't be as important since it will be a secondary family-hauler (and my main commuter). And Audi's got the diesel!

Quick Reply: STRONGLY Considering Q7 Lease, but I have 4 kids all in car seats... HELP!