Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Tailgate unlock

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate unlock

Under certain scenarios the rear tailgate will not unlock via the button on the tailgate from the outside. I think it's a safety security feature. Something like when engine is started and key is inside the vehicle, someone outside cannot unlock the rear tailgate. Is that right?

I find this very annoying. Many times as I'm loading stuff in the rear i cant just unlock the tailgate via outside button/handle.I find myself having to go to the drivers door to hit the rear tailgate open button. Does anyone know if this is a setting that can be changed?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, there is an MMI setting.

A6 and Q7: The driver can determine in the MMI which doors are unlocked through the central locking system. Select the 'Car' function button > 'Systems' > 'Central Locking'. You can then determine which doors should be unlocked when you unlock the vehicle with ther remote control (e.g., passenger's door, rear doors, trunk/tailgate). There is also a side selective unlocking option available that can be set to fit your needs. You can continue to unlock all the doors and the rear lid as before. Press the opening button on the master key twice. Auto locking can also be switched On and Off.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by weth
Yes, there is an MMI setting.

A6 and Q7: The driver can determine in the MMI which doors are unlocked through the central locking system. Select the 'Car' function button > 'Systems' > 'Central Locking'. You can then determine which doors should be unlocked when you unlock the vehicle with ther remote control (e.g., passenger's door, rear doors, trunk/tailgate). There is also a side selective unlocking option available that can be set to fit your needs. You can continue to unlock all the doors and the rear lid as before. Press the opening button on the master key twice. Auto locking can also be switched On and Off.
yea i dont think this addresses his issue tho. i saw the MMI setting for central unlocking but that refers to using the key. the OP is talking about not having the key in your pocket/hand and trying to unlock the rear hatch with the key in the vehicle

central unlocking settings wont help because nobody on earth would want to open the hatch everytime they unlock the car

lastly i think this feature is a bit annoying as well but honestly i would think most car makers have to have it. if you are in the front with the key and the hatch button is active it means that not only would you be able to open it to load groceries....strangers would be able to open it when walking by while you are sitting in the cabin with the key
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Before I set hatch to unlock with central locking

Come to car, unlock driver door, key in vehicle and hatch locked if I walk back there without key or more likely wife goes back to open, hatch is locked yet and must be unlocked. Upfront.

After hatch set to unlock with central locking

Come to car, unlocks car, including hatch. Do not need key in pocket to use hatch release from hatch door

Sounds what OP is asking

As far as comfort with having hatch unlock with rest of doors, is personal choice. Some will not feel comfortable with this, others can't stand it e other way. I am glad Audi gives user choice.

We almost always open hatch with every vehicle unlock.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weth
Before I set hatch to unlock with central locking

Come to car, unlock driver door, key in vehicle and hatch locked if I walk back there without key or more likely wife goes back to open, hatch is locked yet and must be unlocked. Upfront.

After hatch set to unlock with central locking

Come to car, unlocks car, including hatch. Do not need key in pocket to use hatch release from hatch door

Sounds what OP is asking

As far as comfort with having hatch unlock with rest of doors, is personal choice. Some will not feel comfortable with this, others can't stand it e other way. I am glad Audi gives user choice.

We almost always open hatch with every vehicle unlock.
Yes this is what I'm asking. 99% of the time it's the wife telling me to unlock the rear hatch because she can't open it from the outside. I will have to play with cental locking feature. Thanks!