Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phillips2024
im running the whispers right now on my q7

Whispbar S5
K393 fit kit

Yakima recalled kit K393 (I bought through Amazon so got recall message from them). Said the kit was not safe. I already thought the same when I saw it attached by friction with the top of the rail instead of clamping on both sides of the rail.

Yakima offered to send you a free of charge a Yakima cross bar and kits for Q7 when you sent them the defect kit. They are redesigning Whispbar kit. You may have to buy new Whispbar kit when it is available to use with your current Whispbar.

So I don't think you can buy the Q7 kit for Whispbar now in the market. But they looked better than anything when I researched last year.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of the low profile cross bars, but if you've already got bike trays, ski/board attachments, or other bits that fit the round (or square) tubes, then you'll have to buy all new stuff to fit the new cross bars. Most of the rooftop boxes are universal, so if that's all you will carry then pretty much any cross bar should work.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Quang Le
Yakima recalled kit K393 (I bought through Amazon so got recall message from them). Said the kit was not safe. I already thought the same when I saw it attached by friction with the top of the rail instead of clamping on both sides of the rail.

Yakima offered to send you a free of charge a Yakima cross bar and kits for Q7 when you sent them the defect kit. They are redesigning Whispbar kit. You may have to buy new Whispbar kit when it is available to use with your current Whispbar.

So I don't think you can buy the Q7 kit for Whispbar now in the market. But they looked better than anything when I researched last year.
interesting, ill have to look into this. My setup is solid and I have zero issues with it. I use to work summers installing yakima and thule roof racks so im not new to this

i bought the s5 whispbar which was for my s4. I figured out i could also use this bar for the q7 even though it called for a bigger one.

Last edited by phillips2024; 07-09-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phillips2024
interesting, ill have to look into this. My setup is solid and I have zero issues with it. I use to work summers installing yakima and thule roof racks so im not new to this

i bought the s5 whispbar which was for my s4. I figured out i could also use this bar for the q7 even though it called for a bigger one.
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll look into the Whispbars again. Hopefully they have a modification for the Q7.

BTW, phillips2024, nice black Q7 and S4 combo, my wife and I have the same!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Yakima Whisbar Through bar kit on my Q7 and it's awesome! I also have the flush mount kit on my MB GL450 and the extra width you get from the through bar is very nice.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

phillips2024, did you find out anything about the recall on the whispbar for the q7? Thinking of pulling the trigger on the S5 based on your posts. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by truep287
phillips2024, did you find out anything about the recall on the whispbar for the q7? Thinking of pulling the trigger on the S5 based on your posts. Thanks.
i have not; to be honest i forgot all about it. Im not too worried as i think this is a solid setup. I run a large yak box on top filled with gear. Speeds up to 89 on the highway with no issues.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

I have the Thule Aero and the Thule Atlantis 1800 XT on my Q7. Here are a few photos.

And one without the box on:

Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edge
I have the Thule Aero and the Thule Atlantis 1800 XT on my Q7. Here are a few photos.

And one without the box on:

How is the whistling and wind noise with that setup? Can you drive 45 mph with the roof open (with just the cross bars installed).
Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jacket
How is the whistling and wind noise with that setup? Can you drive 45 mph with the roof open (with just the cross bars installed).
I don't have any whistling at all. I'm sure it adds to the noise level, but I don't notice it anymore. They've been up there for over three years.

RE: Driving over 45 with the roof open, I can't say - I don't like driving with the sunroof open on the highway, but I don't recall having any issue in 45 mph zones.

Quick Reply: Thule vs Yakima?