Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Tire Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Frustration

Hi All,

First post here. This place is a great community. I've done some research and decided on the Yokohama Parada Spec-x tires, 285/35r22 on RS4 replica wheels. The problem now is that Discount tire says they are on national backorder and will take a while before getting them in. Tirerack and other online stores have them but they get you on shipping, plus you have to take them some shop to get them mounted and you won't have the service/warranty like Discount.

My other tire choices are Nitto 420S, Hankook RH06, and Toyo Proxes.

I really want the Yoko's but don't have patience to wait up to 90 from Discount. Anyone who has recommendations or ideas?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by phidailo
Hi All,

First post here. This place is a great community. I've done some research and decided on the Yokohama Parada Spec-x tires, 285/35r22 on RS4 replica wheels. The problem now is that Discount tire says they are on national backorder and will take a while before getting them in. Tirerack and other online stores have them but they get you on shipping, plus you have to take them some shop to get them mounted and you won't have the service/warranty like Discount.

My other tire choices are Nitto 420S, Hankook RH06, and Toyo Proxes.

I really want the Yoko's but don't have patience to wait up to 90 from Discount. Anyone who has recommendations or ideas?
I have heard the Toyo Proxes are good tires. No personal experience though.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:16 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

I have the Toyo proxes on my SSR and LOVE them, great ride, quiet, great traction. Have heard good things on nitto invos too.
Might try those next.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LOP
I have the Toyo proxes on my SSR and LOVE them, great ride, quiet, great traction. Have heard good things on nitto invos too.
Might try those next.
I had the ProxesII's on my v10 Touareg and they were dreadful.. couldn't believe how bad they were after everyone praised them. Sold them to a friend who put them on his V8 Touareg and they were better.. maybe I was maxing out the weight up front. Switched to the Conti DWS and it's the best tire i have ever owned... amazing tire for just about everythinh you can throw at it. Sadly they are not avail in the size i need for my A7 20's
Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I had Toyo Proxes T1R's on my RX-8 and felt they were the best Summer performance tires I'd ever had.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went for Toyo Proxes and find them good. Not as grippy as the old GY Eagle F1 but quieter and better in heavy rain and much better in snow for a few days a year.
The Toyos are not as wide as GY at the same spec and offer much less rim protection. This alone will lead me to consider 285s on the J9 or another brand next time.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if I want to take the chance on Toyo's because of the mixed reviews, I've done a little research on these. Hearing that they are noisier or perhaps get noisier after a certain mileage draws me away.

I may have to bite the bullet and purchase the yokos from tire rack.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the same dilemma a few months back when needing tires, can't believe the Toyo's are still on backorder! I went with the Hankook's, I wasn't nervous about them because I had them on a previous car and they were great. I have no complaints, great grip and super quiet, I would definitely recommend them.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phidailo
Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if I want to take the chance on Toyo's because of the mixed reviews, I've done a little research on these. Hearing that they are noisier or perhaps get noisier after a certain mileage draws me away.

I may have to bite the bullet and purchase the yokos from tire rack.
If noise bothers you then don't buy Federal. They were fine until half worn but they have been deafening for months now. It's as if the transmission has a grumbling bearing. They wear well, grip averagely and adequately, but it is back to Maxxis MarauderII next time unless some other cheapish brand tickles my fancy. Might even give Toyo a chance. Yes, why not.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to spend the money, I love our Michelins that we replaced the Goodyears with

Quick Reply: Tire Frustration