Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Tires Tires Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Tires Tires

I know there is a ton of info here on tires, but honestly, I am so tired and too lazy to look. I got a flat today in my 2010 TDI Q7 - I am soooo bummed, as I have a whopping 16,000 miles on it and now I have to buy TWO new tires... I'm not sure yet what caused it, but I was on the Mass Turnpike on the way home from work when the tire pressure system gave me the warning. I figured I'd be okay to get home and add some air but then I saw smoke and smelled burning rubber... argh. When I looked at the tire there on the side of the road, the side wall had a huge gaping hole - but I'm guessing that was caused by driving on it when I shouldn't have.

I remember when I was looking at the Q's and monitoring this forum I came across information on tires - I know I should not get the same ones it came with, but what to get? I live in New England (USA) ....

BTW: I just had the 15,000 mile service about a month ago - I remember calling them on the way home to tell them the tire pressure system light was coming on and they said, oh they must have forgotten to reset it at the dealer... So they told me how to reset it. Now I wonder if that was actually the beginning of the issue and I've been driving on it this whole time with not enough air in that one tire...

Anyway, please offer up and point me to any resolutions. I'm going to have to take all day or at least part of the day off tomorrow to get the two new tires... I am a little west (the MetroWest) of Boston.

thanks!
kkbma
Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What size rims or tires do you have?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you have 16k on your set currently and only replacing the two? i would do the whole set...
Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

20" but what brand? Most likely Goodyear Eagle LS2. Maybe one with similar wear can be bought.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
20" but what brand? Most likely Goodyear Eagle LS2. Maybe one with similar wear can be bought.
Sorry, Pirelli Scorpion Zero..

Last edited by kkbma; 05-24-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: read tire brand wrong
Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
you have 16k on your set currently and only replacing the two? i would do the whole set...
How many miles should I expect on this set? Maybe I will get 4.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

i dont know which tires you have or which wheels but not even factoring that in, just 16000 miles alone should be a significant amount of wear on the tires... if you put new ones on the front they will be larger than the rear and may cause issue on the awd system... your wheels will be spinning at different speeds.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

i dont know which tires you have or which wheels but not even factoring that in, just 16000 miles alone should be a significant amount of wear on the tires... if you put new ones on the front they will be larger than the rear and may cause issue on the awd system... your wheels will be spinning at different speeds.
Thanks for the input. I'm wondering why the dealer service dept didn't point this (tire wear) out when I was there about 1000 miles ago...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depending one what kind of tires you have on the car, I would agree. If you have low profile summer tires, just replace all 4 of them. The car will ride better. If you are just going for 2, I would replace them with what is already on there
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

tire rack offers shaving, however you are basically buying new tires then shaving off 3/4 of it, i think its a waste... just replace all four. most people with q7 21" wheels are getting about 15k out of their tires and 20" are getting in the area of 20k. we have very heavy suvs that wear out these tires pretty damn quick especially if you have the "sport" tires.

take ruler or something that can measure small measurements... put it to the tires... measure all four... if they are lower than 4mm or 5/32" then you're due for new ones anyhow.

Quick Reply: Tires Tires Tires