Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Tow Bar question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Bar question

Dear all,
I will be taking delivery of a Q7 TDI soon.
Meanwhile, I am looking for a tow bar for the new ride. The factory accessory only offers "retrofit" tow bar. In understand the towing capacity is lower than a normal tow bar. Is that what I have to live with? Are there any other options out there?
Are there other parts that I should get while setting up the towing capability? This is my first car I am installing any towing accessories...
thanks very much for sharing.
Best regards,
jack
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not about tow bar or fitting strength its about transmission cooling. If you order factory tow they build in larger oil cooling rads. As far as I know thats it! No matter what you retrofit you get less capacity. The OEM bracket is actually a better fit than other aftermarket offerings anyway. You will also need a VCDS adaption or four.
EDIT: oops welcome aboard and good luck your Q7
Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks..

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Its not about tow bar or fitting strength its about transmission cooling. If you order factory tow they build in larger oil cooling rads. As far as I know thats it! No matter what you retrofit you get less capacity. The OEM bracket is actually a better fit than other aftermarket offerings anyway. You will also need a VCDS adaption or four.
EDIT: oops welcome aboard and good luck your Q7
Thanks very much for the info.
I am currently located in HK (moved back from Chicago quite a while ago.) does anyone have a good relationship with a local dealership who can help with the purchase and shipping to Hong Kong?
thanks
Jack
Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why didn't you order it with the tow package? It would have been cheaper than putting it on after the fact.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

the Tow package wasn't available for ordering in HK market. Plus I didn't think I would need it much when I ordered the vehicle.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dear all,

I have finally ordered and received my shipment of tow bar from the US.
However, after closer look, my car doesn't have the cut away panel like the ones in the US.
Question, do all Q7 models in the US have the cut away panel on the lower rear bumper of Q7?
Does anyone know if it's possible to order it separately?

this a thread posted regarding the cut away panel and tow bar.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ght=q7+tow+bar

this is the tow bar that I have on hand now:
http://audi.niello.com/accessories.p...1&category=109

thanks very much for your input

Best regards,
jack
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not all Q7's have the cut away panel, only the ones that come with the factory tow hitch installed. You can purchase the cover separately. I installed the same OEM tow hitch that you bought about 3 months ago, and bought the cutaway panel from http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com. Give them your VIN number and they can tell you which cover you need that will match your paint. If I remember correctly, the cover cost about $60. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Savior Six
Not all Q7's have the cut away panel, only the ones that come with the factory tow hitch installed. You can purchase the cover separately. I installed the same OEM tow hitch that you bought about 3 months ago, and bought the cutaway panel from http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com. Give them your VIN number and they can tell you which cover you need that will match your paint. If I remember correctly, the cover cost about $60. Hope this helps.
Thank you Savior Six. I have emailed the shop and hopefully they can tell me which exact bumper cover part I need.
My car has sensors on the sabre black plastic. Does your have the sensor on the same location?

thanks
Jack
Old 01-04-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Jack,

I'm expecting delivery of my Q7 in HK soon and am also looking to fit an aftermarket towbar since the dealer would not agree to install this for me.

Please let me know what cover is the right one to order. Thanks very much.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donkeyrider
Jack,

I'm expecting delivery of my Q7 in HK soon and am also looking to fit an aftermarket towbar since the dealer would not agree to install this for me.

Please let me know what cover is the right one to order. Thanks very much.
sure. After I get a reply from the store, i will forward it to you as well. pls pm me your email address.

Quick Reply: Tow Bar question