Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Towing Capacity Q7 vs. Toureag

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Capacity Q7 vs. Toureag

Can someone help me here...There is not much info on the web that clarifies this.

Q7 stated towing capacity with tow package is 6600lbs.

the VW Toureag TDi is 7700lbs.

Are these vehicles not similar frame and same engine?

Why the difference?

Is the 6600lb. Q7 rating accurate or is it more?

Thinking if getting an Airstream 27/28 and not sure if I can pull it or not?

Also, VW TDI list's a range of 700 miles??? WTF are they just making up numbers?

thanks,

Tracy
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The difference probably is that the Q7 is overall longer (longer frame) and has a longer wheelbase than the Touareg.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The longer wheel base of the Q7 should help with towing stability.
It's the extra weight that hurts it in terms of tow capacity.

VW gross weight = 6173 lbs.
Q7 gross weight = 7044 lbs.

That accounts for 871 lbs difference right there.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by va-terps4
The longer wheel base of the Q7 should help with towing stability.
It's the extra weight that hurts it in terms of tow capacity.

VW gross weight = 6173 lbs.
Q7 gross weight = 7044 lbs.

That accounts for 871 lbs difference right there.
Actually it's not the GVW.. my V10 Touareg GVW is about the same as the Q7 and the Touareg weighs more. I have pulled my boat (23' Malibu) extensively with bth my Q7 TDI and the Touareg. They both have air susp (same system.) They both tow great but the Touareg takes things to another level. The car is so stable that you don't know the boat is back there (literally you forget because it doesn't feel any different than driving without the 6000+ boat.) The Q7 is also stable but over bumps and things you can feel the boat a little (and I mean "a little".. certainly not unstable.) The Touareg pulls this boat better than my Armada or Tundra did.

So why can the Touareg tow more weight? It all comes down to the distance from the tow hitch to the back axle. The secrete to Touareg is how close the ball is to the rear axle and this puts the tongue weight on the axle without much of a lever. The further back you put the ball the more of a lever. The Q7's rear hangover is just long enough to make a difference... it's enough that you would really feel 7000+ pounds back there pulling side to side and up and down. The Touareg and Porsche (and probably the Q7 as well) require (if you listen to VW/Audi) a specific trailer receiver that is very short (puts the ball very close to the back of the car.) They specifically warn against using anything longer. The VW/Audi part is also solid steel and is very heavy and cost about $100. I managed to pick mine up from the local Porsche dealer for $50... mainly because the parts guy couldn't stand selling me a $100 trailer hitch. If you go with the VW setup the Touareg doesn't even start to stumble at 7700 pounds.. you can safely tow that much and never feel like the thing is struggling. My V10 also has huge brakes.. so that helps but I never had any issues stopping with the Q7 either.. they both stop very very quickly with the boat hooked up. Obviously the V10TDI wins when it comes to power. The difference is that the Q7 can tow up a steep mountain pass and maintain 65-70 MPH... with the Touareg you can be going up that same pass and easily accelerate and pass someone without any struggle at all. IF we could get the new 4.2TDI in the Q7 over here I'd order it (and new Touareg 4.2TDI) in a heartbeat. The new V8TDI is significantly improved over my V10TDI... and it's hard to believe there was room for improvement.

Anyway... that's the story and my experience.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gregtay

So why can the Touareg tow more weight? It all comes down to the distance from the tow hitch to the back axle. The secrete to Touareg is how close the ball is to the rear axle and this puts the tongue weight on the axle without much of a lever. The further back you put the ball the more of a lever. The Q7's rear hangover is just long enough to make a difference... it's enough that you would really feel 7000+ pounds back there pulling side to side and up and down. The Touareg and Porsche (and probably the Q7 as well) require (if you listen to VW/Audi) a specific trailer receiver that is very short (puts the ball very close to the back of the car.) They specifically warn against using anything longer.
Yes, the Q7 has the same caveat; and I can go along with the argument. I just changed hitch receiver tongues to raise the ball a bit for my 4,400 lb Kimberley Karavan. This newer tongue puts the hitch connection point (not a ball on the off-road hitch) about 2" further out behind the Q7 than the previous tongue. There is somewhat less stability with that longer hitch point, and it is perceptible when driving on curvy roads. Not enough to alarm me, but definitely enough to increase my awareness.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 08-08-2013 at 03:05 PM.