Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Towing on Q7

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing on Q7

I'm thinking about installing a tow hitch on my 08 Q7. The tow capacity of 4.2 and 3.6 are same at 6600 lbs. How did they have same capacity? and my real question is that can 3.6 V6 really pull 6600 lbs without any problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the 6600 lbs is only if the tow hitch was installed at the factory. If retrofitted, then the limit is dropped to 5500. Factory installed includes some tranny updates (i.e. cooling) that a simple retrofit cannot accomplish.

I have the 4.2 and tow a 3500lb tent trailer with no issues. I can feel the weight but once going, the Q7 does a great job with it. The torque difference is only 60 (325 V8/265 V6) so its just a matter of how quick you want to get up to speed while towing. I picked the V8 specifically because I didn't want to stress the engine as much; I like to get up to speed.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great towing vehicle. What a diference from my old Pilot!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just recently purchased a 2010 Q7 TDI you would think with the diesel engine the tow capacity would have been increased.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Giblet
Factory installed includes some tranny updates (i.e. cooling) that a simple retrofit cannot accomplish
You know, we've heard that mentioned here... and there has been a LOT of debate around it. Has anyone actually ever proven this by doing a side by side comparison?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hotsauce; Not really, same suspension, brakes, wheelbase and approx weight. Other considerations like tires, chassis strength, lug nuts are the same. Cant see Audi going out on a limb anywhere. Just enjoy the extra winding power that makes the hills seem flatter.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
You know, we've heard that mentioned here... and there has been a LOT of debate around it. Has anyone actually ever proven this by doing a side by side comparison?
That's a good question. I thought the tow package was port-installed anyways on US cars. If they are port installed then I would think the cooling/trans stuff would all be the same. I guess what I'm wondering is whether there is such a thing as a Q7 with the 'upgraded' insides that enables the higher towing capacity in the USA. Or maybe all the US cars have the upgrade in them already and it's all moot? Anyone know if these things come off the boat with the tow package already installed? When I had the tow package dealer-installed they didn't say anything about the car having a lower capacity. Maybe I'll call and talk to my service manager and get his take on this.

As far as doing a side-by-side, not sure how that would work. Do you tow something heavy uphill until one of the cars blows up? Don't sign me up for that!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kristatos
As far as doing a side-by-side, not sure how that would work. Do you tow something heavy uphill until one of the cars blows up? Don't sign me up for that!
No, but you could viably see the trans cooler.

If such a thing does exist, it should be in the Q7 parts list. Which if so, should also be something we could install along with the tow package.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Jim VP

From my initial review and questions on the tow package, from what I was told, if you order the tow package from the factory, the under frame is different and you get the increased cooling capacity. Not sure yet if the cooling capacity is both engine and transmission. I do know that with the tow package, because the under frame is different, you can't get the stock running boards. The mounting points are not there with the tow package. Probably why the towing capacity is higher from the factory then with the dealer installed or after market receiver hitch.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sportvierwagon
From my initial review and questions on the tow package, from what I was told, if you order the tow package from the factory, the under frame is different and you get the increased cooling capacity. Not sure yet if the cooling capacity is both engine and transmission. I do know that with the tow package, because the under frame is different, you can't get the stock running boards. The mounting points are not there with the tow package. Probably why the towing capacity is higher from the factory then with the dealer installed or after market receiver hitch.
now that finally starts to make sense. Having fitted a hitch I could not work out how there was any interference but sounds like the factory fit is using a different hitch than the dealer fit. Also sounds like it is not a Port fitted item

Quick Reply: Towing on Q7