Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Towing with a Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
are you purchasing from an audi dealer? if so they can reprint the sticker or at a minimum provide you factory options on the vehicle.

if not contact AOA and provide them with the vin and they can tell you which factory options it has.
Hi, no, not from an Audi dealer. I'll try the second option, thanks.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RELLEK
So I need some quick help, guys. I found the perfect rig (Used 2013 Q7 TDI Premium Plus) for me and the wife to tow our travel trailer, but I live in the mountains and I need to know for sure that it has the factory installed tow package so I can benefit from the transmission cooler, etc. I want to make sure before I buy it. The tow hitch on the back of the rig looks OEM, but it does not have any wiring harness connected, just the plate that you can remove to install one.

I did a VIN check online, but it does not show me details about what options came on the vehicle from the factory. The dealer does not have the original window sticker.

Can anyone please tell me how to check the rig to ensure that the tow hitch is factory installed, or just an OEM hitch installed at the dealer?
Under that plate there is a plug that requires an adapter that accepts the plug that your trailer uses.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Audi-Trailer-Harness-Connector/dp/B007OMZD6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456693233&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+plug+audi+q7 http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Audi-Trailer-Harness-Connector/dp/B007OMZD6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456693233&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+plug+audi+q7
It sounds like the vehicle you are looking at DOES have factory towing. There will be a connector under the dash for a trailer brake controller too.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Under that plate there is a plug that requires an adapter that accepts the plug that your trailer uses.http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Audi-T...r+plug+audi+q7
It sounds like the vehicle you are looking at DOES have factory towing. There will be a connector under the dash for a trailer brake controller too.
J. Patterson - Thank you! I went by the lot today (closed on Sunday) and took the 4 screws out from the plate. Plug behind it just like you said that appears to fit the adapter you showed me on Amazon. Things are looking good! I'll check for the trailer brake connection tomorrow morning. I'm also going to pull the PR codes which are apparently located in the spare tire area. I found a decoder online which should tell me if it came from the factory with the hitch/tow package. Thanks again - getting excited!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As iconoclast said, just call AoA and they can send you a window sticker for the car. I had one in less than 2 hours for our Q7 TDI purchase. They are open 24 hours/7 days a week at 800-822-2834.

Grey
Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Greystoke
As iconoclast said, just call AoA and they can send you a window sticker for the car. I had one in less than 2 hours for our Q7 TDI purchase. They are open 24 hours/7 days a week at 800-822-2834.

Grey
Grey- just got off the phone with AOA...window sticker is on the way! Thanks so much! I went ahead a closed the deal today and I'm so excited! I really appreciate everyone's help, you guys are great.

Cheers.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Grey- just got off the phone with AOA...window sticker is on the way! Thanks so much! I went ahead a closed the deal today and I'm so excited! I really appreciate everyone's help, you guys are great.

Cheers.
Update: I received the original window sticker from AOA via email - what a great service this is! Not only did I learn that it had the tow package, it also has the cold weather package, the warm weather package, the premium plus package, upgraded 20 inch wheels and MSRP was $62,895! It literally had every option. I picked it up for $36,500 with only 34,900 miles on it, and it is literally flawless. My wife and I are thrilled! I'll post some pics after our first excursion out with the travel trailer in tow. Thanks, gents, for all your help!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

congratulations. enjoy.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default E - Brake Controller Set Up

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
This is what I use http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prodphoto/90195.gif
It's a nice simple set up and work great. I even made it so it's removable when not needed and no left over hardware (minimal) that can be seen.

Sorry to cross post but the last post in this thread is my break controller set up.

Q7 Brake Controller Install - AudiForums.com
Poncherelly (or any other knowing souls) - I need to set up my new rig for towing and would love some direction. I ordered the Teconsha P3 since everyone seems to defer to it with good results. But I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to wiring. I would love someone to help me:

1. Identify the 4 prong female connector under the dash that everyone keeps referencing;
2. Tell me what wiring to get to fit into that connector on one side and into the trailer brake on the other side;
3. How to wire the whole thing for power; and
4. Anything else that this newby might be missing!

TIA!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Poncherelly (or any other knowing souls) - I need to set up my new rig for towing and would love some direction. I ordered the Teconsha P3 since everyone seems to defer to it with good results. But I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to wiring. I would love someone to help me:

1. Identify the 4 prong female connector under the dash that everyone keeps referencing;
2. Tell me what wiring to get to fit into that connector on one side and into the trailer brake on the other side;
3. How to wire the whole thing for power; and
4. Anything else that this newby might be missing!

TIA!
Nevermind - I just found the post titled "hardwiring a tekonsha electronic brake controller with factory harness". Assuming this will answer all of my questions.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Update: I received the original window sticker from AOA via email - what a great service this is! Not only did I learn that it had the tow package, it also has the cold weather package, the warm weather package, the premium plus package, upgraded 20 inch wheels and MSRP was $62,895! It literally had every option. I picked it up for $36,500 with only 34,900 miles on it, and it is literally flawless. My wife and I are thrilled! I'll post some pics after our first excursion out with the travel trailer in tow. Thanks, gents, for all your help!
Congrats! Great deal too!

I need to order a window sticker for our Q7 and for the S5. Bought both CPO.