Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Trailer Brake Pre-wiring (early 2007 models)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, sorry for the slow reply. I didn't check the forum for a few days.

Also, for some reason, search is really sucking. I couldn't find my own post either. so I spent 10 minutes going through all the posts by author and found mine.

Here's the OP: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2692144
Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Just finding this thread at this late date...

Just a note that as of the 2014 trailer wiring package from Audi, the Q5 will only recognize incandescent light bulbs on a trailer. It will not supply power--not even to the backup or marker light circuits--unless it sees a "proper" load, which the current LED lighting packages do not present.

Apparently some resistance or current drain across some circuits (probably the running and marker lights and possible the turn signal lights) needs to be sensed, or else the gen-you-whine Audi controller will insist there are blown out lights. And, of course, not supply any power to any lights you might have connected.

OTOH a Chevy pickup would have no problem with the same trailers. (sigh)
Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Just finding this thread at this late date...

Just a note that as of the 2014 trailer wiring package from Audi, the Q5 will only recognize incandescent light bulbs on a trailer. It will not supply power--not even to the backup or marker light circuits--unless it sees a "proper" load, which the current LED lighting packages do not present.

Apparently some resistance or current drain across some circuits (probably the running and marker lights and possible the turn signal lights) needs to be sensed, or else the gen-you-whine Audi controller will insist there are blown out lights. And, of course, not supply any power to any lights you might have connected.

OTOH a Chevy pickup would have no problem with the same trailers. (sigh)
And how is this supposed to relate to the Q7? Just curious
Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dawg-
You perhaps mean "How does this relate to the *AUDI* Q7?"
The Q5 and Q7, and many other AUDI products, share the same CAN bus computer controls for many circuits and systems, including trailer wiring harnesses. There are multiple standards for trailer wiring but in my limited knowledge AUDI uses the same logic and the same systems for all of them, although this may change over time as new production runs are implemented.

So how the system works in a Q5, is very likely to be the same as it is in a Q7, even with the latest Q7 design changes.

Which may also be why this thread is linked from other threads, all dealing with Audi's trailer wiring idiosyncrasies. All, most, or many AUDIs from the same design era, will have certain things in common.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Dawg-
You perhaps mean "How does this relate to the *AUDI* Q7?"
The Q5 and Q7, and many other AUDI products, share the same CAN bus computer controls for many circuits and systems, including trailer wiring harnesses. There are multiple standards for trailer wiring but in my limited knowledge AUDI uses the same logic and the same systems for all of them, although this may change over time as new production runs are implemented.

So how the system works in a Q5, is very likely to be the same as it is in a Q7, even with the latest Q7 design changes.

Which may also be why this thread is linked from other threads, all dealing with Audi's trailer wiring idiosyncrasies. All, most, or many AUDIs from the same design era, will have certain things in common.
Understood. Thank you
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Both of my '07's will not recognize LED trailer lighting. One of my trailers I had converted over when I pulled it with my A6, and I had to swap out just the brake/turn/running light (1157 style) for everything to work properly on the Q7's. My big trailer is still all incan, so no issues. But, I've pulled a few other trailers (dump trailer, car hauler, etc) that turned out to have been retro'd with LED modules. There is an adapter harness that must run resistors to help simulate incan bulbs. You can find it on Amazon.

Also, a full factory tow package 4.2L is rated at 6700lbs. A '07 3.6L Premium (or equivalent trim in later years) with factory tow should be rated the same. Non-Premium (or equiv) 3.6 and any 3.6L Q7 not originally fitted at the factory for tow is only rated to 5500lbs (lack of additional heat exchangers as far as I can tell).
Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
There is an adapter harness that must run resistors to help simulate incan bulbs. You can find it on Amazon.
Can you provide a link or let us know what to search for on Amazon?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Never mind - I found one on etrailer.com - https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html
Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

http://smile.amazon.com/CURT-57003-T..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl
Old 05-04-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Or the TowReady model that carries all 7 pins through:
Amazon.com: Tow Ready 20142 7-Way Flat Pin to 7-Flat Plug to Plug Adapter: Automotive Amazon.com: Tow Ready 20142 7-Way Flat Pin to 7-Flat Plug to Plug Adapter: Automotive

Couldn't find it before, but chasing down Tow Ready's brand name (etrailer doesn't carry their full line?) and then finding a model number, let me find it on Amazon.

Last edited by Redd; 05-04-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Pre-wiring (early 2007 models)