Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Trailer Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to buy the module. You will also need the harness that will go from the module to the outside of the truck so you can plug in your trailer lights.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I not install a powered aftermarket control module hard wired to the main battery. I would splice the brake, tail light & left/right turn signals?

Originally Posted by 98a6quattro
You should be able to buy the module. You will also need the harness that will go from the module to the outside of the truck so you can plug in your trailer lights.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could be wrong but I have a feeling splicing the wires will probably through a light on the dash. I haven't read about anyone doing it that way.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is the Audi control module and harness available only at the dealers?

Originally Posted by 98a6quattro
Old 09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No you cant splice. You can get the module and harness from Kufatec if not Audi or online Audi parts suppliers. You will also need to perform an adaption in VCDS.
If you dont you will keep getting bulb fail warnings.
Once properly installed the Q7 will adapt to trailer mode when electrics are plugged in.
This suspends rear parking sensors.
It uses anti sway technology via brakes and suspension to counter trailer sway.
It prevents air suspension from lowering thus maitaining correct trailer nose level.
Trailer mode is like sport mode in so far as it holds gears longer locks up gears quicker and down shifts earlier.
Pretty sure it affects brakes too.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It also automatically turns off the side assist....don't forget to turn it back on after disconnecting!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for the replies!

NOObie here - what is adaption in VCDS? Is that programming in Vag Com? My Q7 does not have adaptive suspension.

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
No you cant splice. You can get the module and harness from Kufatec if not Audi or online Audi parts suppliers. You will also need to perform an adaption in VCDS.
If you dont you will keep getting bulb fail warnings.
Once properly installed the Q7 will adapt to trailer mode when electrics are plugged in.
This suspends rear parking sensors.
It uses anti sway technology via brakes and suspension to counter trailer sway.
It prevents air suspension from lowering thus maitaining correct trailer nose level.
Trailer mode is like sport mode in so far as it holds gears longer locks up gears quicker and down shifts earlier.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Post-Factory installed Audi tow control module

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
I recently had the OEM hitch and module installed and the one question I cannot seem to get a straight answer on is whether the tow control module functions as an electric brake controller for my trailer. I did read on this forum that there is some wire near the footwell on the driver's side that needs to be connected to this module but I am not sure how to verify that it is properly connected. The dealership was less than helpful with this one so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default OEM Trailer Hitch Question

I just purchased the OEM trailer hitch kit that comes with the trailer control module and I plan to install everything this weekend. My question for those who have done this mod already is what needs to be reprogrammed with the VAG for everything to work correctly? My 2007 Q7 does not have Side assist, Rear parking sensors or Air suspension. Does anyone know what parameters need to be corrected with the Vag tool? I just want to know so when I drop my Q7 off at the dealship, I know what needs to be done and prevent them from trying to charge me X amount of dollars in labour when it should only take about 5 minutes to re-program.

Yes my Q7 is prewired for the trailer hitch.

Last edited by Savior Six; 10-20-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As I understand it, the OEM trailer module does NOT control the trailer brakes. When I bought the car brand new back in '07, the dealer told me so. I then verified this with a Audi/VW tech. At that time, the only way one could get a brake controller to work with the OEM system was to convert one from the Toureg.

Thus, I had an aftermarket brake controller professionally installed. BUT, this was back in '07. I don't know if the current one is any different.

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring Help