Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Uneven Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven Tire Wear

While kicking tires at the dealership, I've noticed that the driver side tires (both front and rear) appeared to be worn more than the passenger side tires on a new Q7. I don;t know how many miles but it was just dropped off on the lot last Saturday. Curious... When I say "worn" I am talking about the tentacles left from the molding process. Driver side was entirely cleared but the passenger side was intact all the way around including the contact surface. Any ideas?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check the service history and dates on the tires... i bet they were replaced at some point but not done as a set.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rarslan
Driver side was entirely cleared but the passenger side was intact all the way around including the contact surface. Any ideas?
Maybe someone drove clover leaf exits at high speeds.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

16 miles on the odometer. Tires are NOT worn out. It was peculiar to see one side had lost those little tentacles but the other side did not.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 AM
F2F
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have uneven tire wear, but only on the front tyres. The car has just done 10k on the original tyres. The wear is only on the very outside of both front tyres (down to about 1mm) but as this is only affecting about 2cm of the tyre its still legal (but worrying). Have had the dealer look at the tracking and they say everything is OK. the rest of the tyre is still approx 4mm. Anyone else had similar? Should I change now or wait until say winter (and another approx 2k miles) to change?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

On my A6, outside edges of the fronts are like that. What prompted me to ask is the noticeable difference on a new Q7 with 16 miles on it. I've checked other Q7s on the lot but hey already had past that easy to recognize point so I couldn't tell.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what about the actual wear on the tires? if it's just the 'tentacles' then what is the big deal?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire Wear

My front tires have also always worn on the outside edges first. I'm thinking it's because the vehicle is so heavy and when the front understeers into turns, the outside edges of the front tires wear faster. I will be checking alignment with my next set of tires just to be sure nothing is amiss there.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rarslan
What prompted me to ask is the noticeable difference on a new Q7 with 16 miles on it.
During that 16 miles, the vehicle was loaded and unloaded on a ship and a vehicle carrier. It could have rubbed against a ramp.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
During that 16 miles, the vehicle was loaded and unloaded on a ship and a vehicle carrier. It could have rubbed against a ramp.
It must have been a circular ramp only on the left side tires like a tire warmer wrap.

16 miles was only good enough to wear the molding residue tentacles. During that 16 miles of riding, wouldn't right side tires be subjected to the same road, same rotation, same friction? I am not concerned about the tentacles were worn out but it happened only on one side; entire surface, all the way across, both left tires. Right tires' tentacles are "intact" like they have not hit the pavement yet.

Quick Reply: Uneven Tire Wear