Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

What the Heck!?! Q7 Needs a Hard Reset Button

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the Heck!?! Q7 Needs a Hard Reset Button

Ok, I jump in my Q7 and press the start button, nothing happens. Try again, nothing. verify key is on me, yep. Notice the dash has the EPC, traction control, and ABS lights on. Odd. Nothing else is on. So, I try the key in the ignition, nothing, except it is now stuck in there. Go to get the manual to verify how to jump it or see if I can pull some fuses to try and force a reset. Well, see, glove box is power released and it won't release. Great. So there it sits in my driveway. Where is the reset button when you need it.

Anyone want to tell me how to hook up a charger to save the battery at least?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default OK, I think I know what happened... Advanced key gotcha

I realized after posting my message that I had jumped in the car this morning but then got called away by someone. I must have hit the start button but did not actually start the car. It must work like turning the ignition key to ON. I never came back until tonight so it must have drained the battery. I would have thought that if you left with the advanced key that the car would shut off after a short period of time, apparently it does not. After i figured out where the terminals where I was able to at least get enough juice into the car to turn the car off and get the key out. I will fast charge the battery a while and see if I can get her started.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Been there, done that

Although I have read otherwise, I do not believe there is any battery run down protection on the Q7.

My Q has done this twice, both times were cured with 30 min on the charger.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default All is well now

Overnight trickle charge did the trick. Man, I have to say that this tech laden car turns into one hell of a paperweight when the battery runs down. Can't open the hatch, can't get the key out, can't even open the glove box. I never thought about all the implications of a power everything vehicle like the Q7, until now.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default There is battery run down protection, but not if the key is present inside the vehicle

If you leave any interior lights on, you'll find that the car will automatically shut them off after a period of time.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default hatch is electric for safety...

research suggests more/worse crash injuries caused by latch mechanism. Smooth facia even when bust open is better. Prolly a good trade off against dead battery risk.
I think you are the first one to post about that battery killer... good work.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed - the only more stupid design is the Porsche Boxster/Carrera

The front tronk lid is electrically powered so when the car dies you have to put a jumper on the fuse panel to get the trunk lid open to get to the battery. Absolutely STUPID design. Always make the battery accessible without electric power... Sometimes I wonder about German designers.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What the Heck!?! Q7 Needs a Hard Reset Button

I was under the impression that there was battery protection. I remember reading in the manual, that it turns off everything unused n order to make sure that the battery has enough just for at last the next start.

Also longterm storage turns off many things also.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Don't think so

I took the key with me. If you are correct then there is a software glitch.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default BTW, how do you get to the battery??

I read on this site that it is under the driver seat. I skimmed through the US Audi manual but could not find any instructions on how you get to that bad boy. Is there some special release to lift up the driver seat? Please don't tell me I have to unbolt the seat or something idiotic like that?!?

Quick Reply: What the Heck!?! Q7 Needs a Hard Reset Button