What mileage do you replace rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:28 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MeetTheRobinsons;24263379]
Originally Posted by LOP
Now note: I do not activiate the automatic braking system as I feel it is too sensitive MAINLY and it burns the pads/rotors quicker.
QUOTE]

For Automatic Braking System, how do you disable/enable it? I thought that was always on to help prevent lock ups and skidding.
in the MMI
Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this 'automatic braking system'? First I've heard of it. My car has abs/anti-lock, emergency brake assist and stability control as well as traction control. It also has a rather crappy downhill assist control that is pretty-well useless.
Only a few of those systems can be switched off on mine and all of them pertain to off-road use.
The following users liked this post:
J. Patterson (09-07-2020)
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 24wheeler
What is this 'automatic braking system'? First I've heard of it. My car has abs/anti-lock, emergency brake assist and stability control as well as traction control. It also has a rather crappy downhill assist control that is pretty-well useless.
Only a few of those systems can be switched off on mine and all of them pertain to off-road use.
I could be calling it the wrong thing...don't have the owner's manual in front of me...but it is in the manual and the MMI.

And maybe I have it because I have the adaptive cruise control and it is a feature on it whether it is activated or not...it is automatic, but for non cruise control driving I have it deactivated.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ah! Adaptive cruise control will need some form of automatic braking, yes.
I just have standard cruise control and a foot for the brakes which seems to work automatically and well on the whole. The lack of damage to the front end would seem to confirm this.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ahhh too. I have adaptive cruise control as well, I tested it out though and maybe my auto braking is disabled because I didnt slow down when approaching the vehilce in front of me, if i didnt hit the brakes i woudl have hit that Mercedes. I will have to check that out, could be a good thing on long highway trips.

By the way, what are the best most cost effective brake pads for the Q7? POwerstop doesnt make all the brake pads for teh Q7 anymore. Is HAWK any good?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My brake wear light came on at 35k, and the dealership of course said that the rotors needed to be replaced also. So I looked at it as an opportunity to finally get away from the horrible factory pads that's always squealed and created so much brake dust that needed to be wiped off the wheels every 2 days. I did a lot of web searches for packages that were out there for our Qs. I eventually went with the stoptech stage2 setup from mod bargains, which consists of new pads, slotted rotors and brake fluid. Just checked their site, looks like its on sale for $549. Then I had my locally trusted Indy shop do the install. No more brake dust and they look sporty can't beat that.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MeetTheRobinsons
2009 Q7 4.2 Prestige fully loaded. I have hit 20,740 miles. Bought pre certified used with 16,493 miles. I already have to replace breaks. Do i need to replace rotors yet? Previous owner is claimed to have lived in teh city and teh majority of his driving was city driving. the majority of my driving is long roads, not highway and not city driving.

Stealership tells me that my Q7 will need brakes every 20k miles and rotors replaced with every brake change. Is this true? I tried to get them to replace the brakes and rotor for free but they insisted that the Q7 passed with their pre-certified inspection and its not their problem that teh brakes and rotors need to be changed now because they dont knwo my driving habits. I found this a bit odd but i am nto sure.

any thoughts?
I am hitting 49,400 and replaced stock rotors and pads last weekend. Rotors were stock and changed for the first time. but the pads replaced were the second set. I don't think you need to change rotors at that mileage. just pads should be enough.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by patrol19th
I am hitting 49,400 and replaced stock rotors and pads last weekend. Rotors were stock and changed for the first time. but the pads replaced were the second set. I don't think you need to change rotors at that mileage. just pads should be enough.

Why did you change the rotors at 49400 miles? Curious to know.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 24wheeler
Why did you change the rotors at 49400 miles? Curious to know.
My rear rotors were warped. Before washing the car, I should have checked the temperature of my rotors but haven't done consistently.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Rear ones warped! How did you manage that? Water crossing with hot brakes? Stopping from high speed and leaving your foot on the brake pedal creating an uneven heat-soak?

So the rear rotors were causing the rear brakes to pulse and vibrate the car during gentle braking. I've had them myself before now, usually on the front, and it is annoying when you can't make a smooth stop. Yours is the first I've heard of on a Q7, I must say.

Quick Reply: What mileage do you replace rotors?