Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

What is your biggest complaint about your Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your biggest complaint about your Q7?

I love this car. It is my wife's, but when I drive it I love "almost" everything about it, except the fact that the transmission does not seem to communicate with the engine very well. So that is essentially my only complaint.

Ok, I do have other nits, but they don't count. It could also use more power (I have a 4.2), but all cars could use more power. I also hate the grey two tone pait at the bottom, but that is my fault as I should have waited for an S-line and not let my wife demand to have one right away.

Of course I did test drive the GL450 Mercedes at the same time as I bougtht the Q7 for my wife, and its transmission communicates well with the engine. But we still picked the Q7 because we liked it better. We still like it better.

Incidentally do all you 3.6 owners also experience the same communication issue?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a 4.2 and don't have an issue with the transmission

what specific types of problems are you experiencing? It is adaptive, so you driving style could be different from that of your wife and it is used to her driving.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gearbox's seem to vary car to car!!

Mine were very different. I wonder if its just a software thing. My current one is great, no complaints.
Biggest complaint is probably having to turn IGN back on to fold mirrors.
Second thoughts...its not being able to get electric hitch on S-Line.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default interesting

I did not know it was adaptive. There is a delay when you hit the accelerator. It is different than the delay you see with Mercedes. I used to have an ML320 and no such delay.

Also, all upshifts are jerkey. When it changes gears it does so abruptly. In "S" mode it is worse and downshifts are very rough and jerky.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:10 AM

manual telescoping steering column in a souped up 3.6 premium
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the 4.2 (non-premium) has a power steering wheel adjustment

they have to give you some incentive to go to the 4.2 besides the engine.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You should get your transmission checked...

Although I can't say I find the Tiptronic perfect -- not only there IS a delay downshifting when you hit the gas, I find the D mode tends to go too conservative and the S mode too aggressive (no good compromise), even when I try to "educate" it, so I end up using the paddles on my S-line 90% of the time -- shifts are smooth as can be, both up and down. Downshifting from 6th to 3rd gear is particularly beautiful -- smooth and the engine braking of the Audi V8 produces one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard.

So the delay is normal -- the jerkeyness isn't.

The adaptability of the transmission concerns the point at which it shifts, not how smooth it is.

Of course, the dual-clutch manumatic aka S-tronic is even smoother, but what you describing on your Q7 sounds like a transmission problem. Have it checked.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adaptive..providing you different keys!!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agree, why not include that on the 3.6 Prem at least... I noticed though when I was shopping that

the VW T-Reg had a lot of those items like the power steering column adjustment, the power seat belt adjustment included on the V8 version (don't know about the V6 T-Reg). I love my Q7, but you would think that those type of items would come on an Audi; especially, if they come on a VW. These are the small things that Audi seems to miss. If the wife didn't have to have the third row, I might have gone ahead with the T-reg instead.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 AM

Default most of that is in the optional package 2 for the touareg

which is available across all models: V6, V8 and V10.

At least for the 07s and earlier. VW changed everything for the 08s.

Quick Reply: What is your biggest complaint about your Q7?