Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Whispbar and Thule Atlantis 1800XT Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The numbers 1800, 1600, and 1200 refer to the cubic feet of space, IE 18 cubic feet, 16 cubic feet and 12. I went with the large cargo box since I have 4 kids and when we travel, we have quite a bit of luggage. I didn't want to run into a situation where I went with a small or medium cargo box and it would not be able to fit all the luggage for my family. Also, I wanted a cargo box long enough to be able to fit snow skies and snow boards. Obviously the smaller the box the smaller the dimensions. Not sure where you're from, REI sells Thule cargo boxes, go see one for yourself to decide which cargo box will be sufficient for your needs. The 1800XT and 1600 XT are very close in dimensions, but I got the 1800XT on sale so I went with that one.

Originally Posted by patrol19th
Hi,

I am also in the market for the cargo, but I couldn't decide which one is good in terms of size such as among 1800XT, 1600XT, 1200XT. By just looking at the picture on the web, that's too big for me. Have you ever compare any of these?

BTW, thanks for the detailed review.

Brian
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now that you are familiar with the whisper bar install, would you say that it would be easy to take off and put on the bars only when you need them?

I like the look, but I think I also like the clean lines of the Q7 without the bars. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

It would be very easy to remove and reinstall them. I dont have a picture of it but there are 4 red dials under the locked covers of the Whispbar racks, you would just loosen them to loosen the tension of the metal brackets that secure the bar system onto the OEM railing. If I were to guess, I would say it takes about 5 minutes to remove the whispbar racks from the vehicle. In my opinion, I dont think it would be a hassle at all to remove them.

Originally Posted by Rufio
Now that you are familiar with the whisper bar install, would you say that it would be easy to take off and put on the bars only when you need them?

I like the look, but I think I also like the clean lines of the Q7 without the bars. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savior Six
I actually preferred the look of the through bars over the flush mounted setup. I can tell you there is about 2 inches on each side of the mounts. In my case, I could mount my Thule Atlantis box and a bike carrier with the through bars due to the extra space.
Thanks - Good information Savior. Adding a cargo box and a bike on the roof may be in the cards for me. Like you, I have four kids and I have the Thule Roadway 5 bike rack, bike no. 6 goes on the roof.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the helpful post and review, S6.

I just received our Whispbars (flush mount) in the mail and picked up the Atlantis 1800 at REI over the weekend.

FYI, REI is having it's anniversary sale through May 30 and is giving a 20% discount on both Thule and Yakima boxes (all sizes of the Atlantis and Skybox).

http://www.rei.com/product/784515/th...00-xt-roof-box

That's a hefty discount (with no shipping). Couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else after looking for about a week.

Interestingly, the Yakima rep who was in the store said that Yakima just purchased Whispbar (?) due to the great feedback on the products. Don't know whether that's true or not ... (he was more helpful than the Thule rep even though I was buying a Skybox).

Anyhoo, we're hitting the road for Florida on Thursday and will be mounting up the bars and the box for the trip. Will report on results/observations.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant "even though I was *not* buying a Skybox."
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And, it appears that the rep's claims about Yakima's acquisition of WhispBar are accurate:

http://www.yakima.com/Pressroom/56

BEAVERTON, Ore. (December 14, 2010) -- Yakima (www.yakima.com), a leading designer and manufacturer of vehicle cargo management solutions, today announced its acquisition of Hubco Automotive Ltd., Australasia’s leading brand of rooftop car racks, based in Christchurch, New Zealand. Formerly owned by phil&teds, Hubco designs and manufacturers Whispbar™ (www.whispbar.com) the world’s quietest vehicle rack and Prorack (P-Bar, T-Bar and X-Bar).
Old 03-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Savior Six, after having this setup for a while have you noticed a decrease in mpg with just the crossbars on? Also, do you leave this setup on your vehicle at all times or only when you need to attach the box and/or bike carrier?

I'm still debating on installing a hitch or going with the roof rack for my bikes.

Thanks