Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Why or why not TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

A petty reason to be sure, but the diesel fuel pumps in my area are all filthy with oil, to typically include a puddle near the pump as well. A non-starter for me.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would echo the statement that if you're a fast car person and like to haul *** around everywhere then the gas engine is for you. If you're more of a deliberate driver you'll be fine with the diesel. Anytime someone claims the diesel can't pass uphill or has lag off the line I'll call BS though - if you drop it in sport mode it's got plenty.

Either way you win if you get a Q7 IMO.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tracyM

People....we are talking about a $50-$75K SUV....FUEL cost are irrelevant to the cost of this vehicle. The additional cost of a TDI over SLINE gas can NEVER financially be justified one over the other. You either want massive torque and great fuel economy OR you want quick throttle response and fuel economy doesn't matter....that is pretty much it.
"I love" when someone replies with rather short-sighted comments such as "FUEL cost are irrelevant to the cost of this vehicle..."

Just because you can afford this vehicle does not mean it is now ok pi$$ away your money on fuel. Don't forget, some people got to where they were in their station of life because they are prudent with their spending in certain aspects of their life.

As for the number of fillups, do the math... at 15k miles/year, and 24 gallon fillups (yes, the tank holds 26, but noone runs it dry...) and roughly a 6mpg difference between the Diesel and TFSI, 23 fillups, vs. 29 fillups over the year (1 extra stop, or 5 minutes, every two months), i would bet NOONE actually ever complained about stopping "again."

To me, that argument is what always gives me a chuckle.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My main consideration was convenience. There arent as many diesel gas stations in my area compared to regular gas. I didnt want to have to spend 30 minutes every few days just driving to get gas.

Plus diesel is 30 to 40 cents more a gallon and only getting higher thanks to PA and its tax structure.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Getting back to the beginning, maybe the question should have been: why is an apple better than an orange? That is what we are talking about here. The gas and TDI's are totally different presentations. No one will ever change the opinion of the gas vs. TDI owners. In all of these types of discussions, I have never/rarely heard anyone say: "gee, I bought the gas engine and now, based on the really good information in this thread, I really wish I would have bought the TDI, or vice versa." Neither one is "better" than the other...they are different.

TDI's have certain advantages and disadvantages, same as gas. I think we all understand what those are. This thread has certain truths and certain mis truths. However, let's face it: this is not that complicated and I think we all now have enough data. Not much new is being added. Just my simple thoughts.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great point Tracy... and so true.

However, I'll be interested to see what happens this summer with projected gasoline prices in the $4-$5 range. A lot of us TFSI peeps might be crying about our gas mileage and wishing for TDI's.

No matter how much we spend on our SUV, getting raped by the oil companies is never fun. They are like drug dealers and every time we need another tank of gas (fix), we have to get worked over again. It sucks.

mikemdd, I disagree, I think $5/ gallon would change a lot of minds. I was really on the fence when I pulled the trigger on my TFSI. $5/ gallon would have def made-up my mind. In fact, I might trade-in this summer for TDI if prices start spiking.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Just because you can afford this vehicle does not mean it is now ok pi$$ away your money on fuel. Don't forget, some people got to where they were in their station of life because they are prudent with their spending in certain aspects of their life. "

Wow, I wish that was me.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm just happy that there are lots of folks who want the gasser, since Audi will only ship a very limited number of TDI's to the US; and all those folks who wanted the gasser made it easier for me to order my TDI configured exactly the way I wanted it to be.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huey52
A petty reason to be sure, but the diesel fuel pumps in my area are all filthy with oil, to typically include a puddle near the pump as well. A non-starter for me.
This is a good point. It's not an issue for me, I carry around the thin plastic mitts for fill ups, but my wife almost flat out refuses to fill the thing up because of the diesel smell; if you get it on your hands, you smell like a trucker all day - I don't mind, but my wife will have nothing to do with it.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

talking to my dealer last week, he mentioned that the TFSI's are in short supply, and that there are TDI's sitting on lots.

sounds like the demand for the TDI's are cooling, and the TFSI's are heating up a bit.....

Quick Reply: Why or why not TDI?