Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Why or why not TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling ups

Here in Canada, specifically in Toronto suburbs area, we have diesel in just about every gas station. It's literally, if not on this one - it will be on the next, 4 min down the road. Gas station's diesel pumps almost as clean as it gets for gasoline.

What I do when fillng up - grab a couple paper napkings from garbage tower next to each pump, wrap the handle - that's it.

Oh, did I mention the TDI's fuel mileage already? I love it. Looking at the face of my friends, when they learn that this is a diesel engine... Priceless... :0)

So, for me TDI is a way to go. Just waiting for Q5 TDI, for my better half...

2010 Q7 TDI . 25kKm.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think this was an easy decision with the old 3.6/4.2 gas powertrains. Compared to those, the diesel offered similar performance and WAY better mileage - even compared to the 3.6. My wife drives the Q7 probably 80/20 city/highway and we average 15MPG. Did not buy it for stellar mileage, but that does not change the fact that the mileage stinks.

WIth the new TFSI engine and 8 speed transmission, it is a much tougher decision IMHO. New powertrain offers better performance and economy. I personally would have gone TDI before, but would be more inclined to go with the high-output S-Line now.

Jimbo
Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
"I love" when someone replies with rather short-sighted comments such as "FUEL cost are irrelevant to the cost of this vehicle..."

Just because you can afford this vehicle does not mean it is now ok pi$$ away your money on fuel. Don't forget, some people got to where they were in their station of life because they are prudent with their spending in certain aspects of their life.

As for the number of fillups, do the math... at 15k miles/year, and 24 gallon fillups (yes, the tank holds 26, but noone runs it dry...) and roughly a 6mpg difference between the Diesel and TFSI, 23 fillups, vs. 29 fillups over the year (1 extra stop, or 5 minutes, every two months), i would bet NOONE actually ever complained about stopping "again."

To me, that argument is what always gives me a chuckle.
Look, Diesel and gas are $.20 per gallon different here in so cal.That's what? $2-$3 per tank? That is nothing. $30-$50 per year? That is nothing is the scheme of a $50K+ SUV. The TDI mileage, especially highway is sooooo much better it;s not funny.

I am averaging 26.5-27 mpg PER TANK, and have to fill up every 2-2 1/2 weeks. It was ever 5th day with my yukon at $75 per tank....

That is not just 6 mpg better than the tfsi....Sorry, it's not.

I will fill my tank up 1/2 as many times as I did with my yukon getting 15mpg.

This is more about performance than anything i think.

It DOES take a little more effort to make the TDI Q7 go..but that's ok....I have a 911 for the times when I want to go.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
"Just because you can afford this vehicle does not mean it is now ok pi$$ away your money on fuel. Don't forget, some people got to where they were in their station of life because they are prudent with their spending in certain aspects of their life. "

Wow, I wish that was me.

Are we really saying that we are pissing our money away on fuel because diesel is $.20 per gallon more than gas?

How about the 20%+ better fuel economy with diesel?

No one said that...I certainly didn't.

The TFSI, will over the course of 10,000 miles in one year, cost you more in fuel than TDI.

That i am sure of...
Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Made me want the V10 version.
I have the V10TDI in my Touareg and my wife has the 3.0TDI in her Q7 so i get to drive them back to back on a daily basis... Touareg is heavier.. and is doesn't matter.. the V10 is a absolute rocket compared to the V6TDI. I love the 3.0TDI.. it's a great all around motor and I love they way TDI motors drive. The lag on the 3.0 is a bit more noticable than i am use to.. but not bad and when you need the power you can find it. Overall it's a wonderful machine and the mileage is amazing... can't believe how long we go between fill-ups.

The V10.. well... totally different beast. When the 3.0 starts to fall of the powercurve the V10 just kicks in and launches you. And on the low end there's no lag with the V10.. foot down and you are gone.... quickly... and that's in 6000# SUV. If you ever get the chance to driev a V10 Touareg... do it... it's a very unique vehical, doesn't drive anything like a big petrol V8 motor. I really wish we could get the new V8TDI here in the US... it's offered in both the Touareg and Q7 in Europe and it's even more powerful and more refined than my V10... but for now i will be happy... very happy... with my V10.. it stil gets great MPG's compared to other SUV.. and the only thing i'd give it up for is a V8TDI... so it looks like i will be keeping it for a while.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
talking to my dealer last week, he mentioned that the TFSI's are in short supply, and that there are TDI's sitting on lots.

sounds like the demand for the TDI's are cooling, and the TFSI's are heating up a bit.....
I believe they stopped shipping the petrol Q7's due to production issues... everythng is delayed... that would explain why no petrol Q7's on the lot. Although.. not sure there are may Q7's regardless of the motors.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
A petty reason to be sure, but the diesel fuel pumps in my area are all filthy with oil, to typically include a puddle near the pump as well. A non-starter for me.
I hear these stories and people stating that the stations in their areas don't carry diesel... where do you guys live?

Yes.. i have run across a nasty diesel pump.. but it's rare.. and most of the stations around me started putting boxes of gloves by the diesel pumps for those who want to use them... but I have never had the need (and both my suv's are TDIs.) And i have never had a problem finding a diesal pump.. no.. not every station has the big green handle.. but it's not hard to find.. usually its the station "just across the street."

I just think America needs to wake up and embrace diesel a bit more... we are all still thinking this is 1981 oldsmobiles running around... it's not. Go to Germany... 90% of the cars you see in town or on the Autobahn are diesels. And when are we going to wake up and bring the VW 1.4TDI motor to the US.. seriously... The Polo gets 75+MPGs... and it's inexpensive! who needs a hybrid!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I bought my '10 TDI, it was between that and the 4.2 - already decided that I don't want the 3.6

in 2009 when I bought mine, Diesel was about $.10 cheaper than premium - so that swing me a little bit toward the TDI. We own a Jeep GC a few years back with the V8, wife was tired of going to gas station all the time.

Plus it was going to be a company car, and 179 write off plus the tax incentive ($1150 at the time I think), plus in 2009, you can also write off the tax for up to a $50k car purchase. So all that added up to savings that pretty equals out the extra cost of the diesel for me.

Now that I'm reading all about the '11 TFSIs with their 8-speed. Makes me wish it was available in 2009. :-)

Regardless, I'm happy with the TDI (as all have mentioned, the Torque, the Torque). Also was the fact that in 09, TDIs were no where to be found, plus the Teak color, all made for a unique vehicle on the road.

I just filled up over the weekend, now Diesel is $.10 more than Premium here in NorCal.

Definitely didn't buy it because of the savings in gas, but more for the unique nature of the car, a little greener (w/ AdBlue), the Torque, and the fact that everybody's surprise when I mentioned it's a diesel.

I also lusted after the V10 T-Req a few years back. Like others have mentioned, Audi should bring the 4.2TDI here, put that in the Q7. Move the 3.0TDI to the Q5 and they'll be able to move even more vehicles.

-ThinkMac-
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

that comment was mine, replying to someone who suggested that because "we can afford to buy a $50k+ car, that fuel costs are irrelevant"---let's not take this point out of context....
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

all other options being equal, how much more did you pay for your diesel engine option over the TFSI option?

BTW, i averaged 20.5 on my first tank....

Quick Reply: Why or why not TDI?