Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Would you buy another Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut68
Hey all, My wife is currently trying to decide between a Q7 and an Acura MDX. While we love my new A6, she's coming off a bad experience with Volvo and that's leaning her back towards a Japanese Car. Anyone with experience with the 2 care to compare?
Comparing an MDX to a Q7 is an apples-to-oranges comparison from the start. If price ranks towards the top of the buyers priority list, the MDX will win every time.

Disregarding the obvious and uncomparable differences in price, power/performance, AWD systems, etc., there are probably only 3 things these vehicles have in common:

1) They both have 4 wheels
2) They both have 4 doors (5 with rear lid)
3) They both have a 3rd row seat

Much easier to compare the Q to the BMW or Mercedes SUV, and the MDX to a Honda Passport or Nissan Pathfinder.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes I would buy another Q7, no questions asked It is so good!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Final verdict appears to be the MDX. They gave us over blue book on the Volvo and 12% off the Sticker, which puts it about 20K less than the Prestige she liked.
I think she made a good choice. Someone posted above that German cars can be just as reliable as Japanese. While it is true they COULD - they rarely ARE IMHO. It sounds to me like she values reliability above other factors and in this area the MDX will be a great car for her. Performance should be similar as the MDX weighs 800#'s less and has a 300hp motor. To me the MDX is a more sporting car than some other Japanese luxury options.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MDX Redesign on the way

I suspect the reason the MDX deal was so good was that there is a redesigned model on the way, so dealer has motivation to move existing inventory.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by askered
Comparing an MDX to a Q7 is an apples-to-oranges comparison from the start. If price ranks towards the top of the buyers priority list, the MDX will win every time.

Disregarding the obvious and uncomparable differences in price, power/performance, AWD systems, etc., there are probably only 3 things these vehicles have in common:

1) They both have 4 wheels
2) They both have 4 doors (5 with rear lid)
3) They both have a 3rd row seat

Much easier to compare the Q to the BMW or Mercedes SUV, and the MDX to a Honda Passport or Nissan Pathfinder.
Not really where you get this from. The MDX has as much cargo space as the Q7, a larger second row seat, more horsepower (unless you're talking about the S line)The AWD system is very good in the MDX. After a lot of research, what I've learned is that the MDX is:
-Faster
-Handles better
-Is easier to park
-Back up camera is better
-has more comfortable seats
-Is more spacious for passengers
-Is 15K less with comparable options

The Q is
-Nicer inside (finishes are better on the dash, steering wheel, etc)
-Significantly better looking
-Has some of it's own cool features (love the panoramic roof)

At the end of the day, my wife would have been willing to pay more for the Audi. She loved the S-line version, and told the dealer flat out if he could get within 10K of a loaded MDX, she'd by the Audi. More than 10K, though, and she just couldn't justify it.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wait wait wait.
Did you just say the MDX handles better???????????????

Not really where you get this from. The MDX has as much cargo space as the Q7, a larger second row seat, more horsepower (unless you're talking about the S line)The AWD system is very good in the MDX. After a lot of research, what I've learned is that the MDX is:
-Faster
-Handles better
-Is easier to park
-Back up camera is better
-has more comfortable seats
-Is 15K less with comparable options

The Q is
-Nicer inside (finishes are better on the dash, steering wheel, etc)
-Significantly better looking
-Has some of it's own cool features (love the panoramic roof)

At the end of the day, my wife would have been willing to pay more for the Audi. She loved the S-line version, and told the dealer flat out if he could get within 10K of a loaded MDX, she'd by the Audi. More than 10K, though, and she just couldn't justify it.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

:
-Faster
-Handles better
Since I have driven both vehicles for quit a bit, I am confident when I state the MDX does not handle near as well and does not accelerate as quickly as an S-line Q7 with air suspension. When set up as 5 seater, the second row has much more leg room than the MDX has.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weth
Since I have driven both vehicles for quit a bit, I am confident when I state the MDX does not handle near as well and does not accelerate as quickly as an S-line Q7 with air suspension. When set up as 5 seater, the second row has much more leg room than the MDX has.
I would agree that the S-line accelerates a little bit faster (published 0-60 times are within 1/10 of a second for the two)and I suppose handling is a subjective thing, although the Acura has better skid pad #'s. In regards to the space, I literally went over both cars with a tape measure. Think what you want, but the second row of the acura has more space. it's got more leg room and has more space from seat-back to seat-back (this was a primary concern for me because I have 2 rear facing car seats)

Look, I'm an Audi fan. I love my A6 and seriously considered the Q7. Don't discount the fact that other car companies are making comparable vehicles for a lot less though. As I said earlier, the Q is the nicer car, but not 15K nicer, unless the appearance of the car means that much to you.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would agree that the S-line accelerates a little bit faster (published 0-60 times are within 1/10 of a second for the two)and I suppose handling is a subjective thing, although the Acura has better skid pad #'s. In regards to the space, I literally went over both cars with a tape measure. Think what you want, but the second row of the acura has more space. it's got more leg room and has more space from seat-back to seat-back (this was a primary concern for me because I have 2 rear facing car seats)

Look, I'm an Audi fan. I love my A6 and seriously considered the Q7. Don't discount the fact that other car companies are making comparable vehicles for a lot less though. As I said earlier, the Q is the nicer car, but not 15K nicer, unless the appearance of the car means that much to you.
Don't sweat it man. Many here have to justify the extra cost with something. As you said there are many very capable luxury SUV's out there. The MDX is a very nice car. As an aside my wife looked at an MDX when the current gen first came out. She never got out of the lot as she hated the center console armrest design and the gauge clusters "Sydney Opera House" design. I really liked the car and wanted to go on a test drive but alas she didn't and ended up with a Q7.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some competition is good although I must humbly state the 2 vehicles are in a different categories in terms of the mindset of buyers. If the buyer (wife in this case) does not see performance and unique German ride as a top priority, it is perfectly ok.

Cadillac has always strive to get that "German ride" but alas, it is still not the same.

People are always looking for the best bang for our limited dollars.

Quick Reply: Would you buy another Q7?