Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

10k Service - Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
MY17 on - first service at 10K, does not include tire rotation.
+1

I asked the dealer (nicely) during the first 10K service, and the service advisor threw in the tire rotation for free.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah but as far as I can tell, it is not included because it is not recommended. BMW specifically advises against it on some cars (and not just the ones with different tire sizes or unidirectional tread).

Last edited by rsilvers129; 08-02-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

yeah so much changed from 16 to 17 huh? That new Quattro system for the Q7 was a huge advancement /s

Given the **** tires cars come with out of the factory; I dont have much respect for their opinion on tires and how to maintain em.. tires and brakes are the services they make alot of money off of, they are not covered by warranty and big powerfull cars eat em up like candy.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-02-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are making the argument that they want your tires to not last as long so the dealer service departments can make more money on tires? Does Audi even profit from dealer's selling tires? I don't see how.

In any case, if I end up with winter tires, then of course my tires will get rotated. But I have decided that I am no longer going to pay for tire rotations. I will do them when they are free with oil changes though.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this topic has been discussed to near nausea across multiple threads at this point. Everyone will have their own opinion and these opinions are often based on prior personal experiences etc. Many factors play a part deciding whether rotating or not is a benefit or not. Tire model, tire size, driving habits and vehicle type being at the top of the list.

One thing I can pretty much guarantee is if you have a 2017 or 2018 Audi Q7 with the OEM 21" summer tires (conti or goodyear) and you choose to never rotate, you will be buying new tires far sooner then you would expect. Not that summer high performance tires like this are long wearing anyway, as they are not, but you should at least be able to double the life with reg rotations.

Best advice I have seen is to check the tread wear and tire pressure regularly.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

But don't pay for tire rotations, as the cost of rotation would have to be subtracted out of the savings from extended life.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
You are making the argument that they want your tires to not last as long so the dealer service departments can make more money on tires? Does Audi even profit from dealer's selling tires? I don't see how.
Yes thats the argument I'm making, does Audi Corp directly make money from Service? No, but thats how the dealers get their money to build out the big fancy buildings Corp requires them to build.. Its a known fact that basic service is the Dealer's cash cow, If you always take it to the dealer the'll make far more money off service than they did on the original sale.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will be going to the dealer for the 10,000 mile service. Probably nothing else unless it is a warranty claim or something very technical.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

but you were just talking about buying tires from a dealer and letting em swap out your tires twice a year so you didnt have to buy winter wheels? <confused>

I'll take mine back to the dealer for free service, recalls, or warranty work, or service that only a dealer can do (front end alignment).. otherwise, if Audi of Denver did everything else, an Audi would be too rich for my blood.. Audi Denver just charged Audi Tulsa $1200 for missing hitch parts I coulda bought online from ECS Tuning for half that.. installed them my self, god knows what the Dealer woulda charged to install a tow module I did my self, and recoded my self on a lazy afternoon.

Having diagnostic tools and decades experience maintaining Volkswagens/Audi's I'm not very fond of dealers.. feels like getting raped if I have to pay them for parts/labor.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-02-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If I get winter tires, regardless of if I get different wheels or not, there will be a swap twice a year.

As long as there is a swap, there can be a free rotation because they can go back in any order.

But if I keep my all-season tires all year, then I will only rotate tires if it is free with an oil change.

But paying extra money for a tire rotation is not really worth it, because you will spend as much on rotations as you will save on tire wear, at least in most cases - maybe not with really expensive tires.

Quick Reply: 10k Service - Tire Rotation