Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait, so I live in the matrix or something?

Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
Hello Gents,
To shop it goes. Indy, of course.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Bob

PS: for those if you in the real world(non SFBayArea), enjoy🙂!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

🤔...yep.
2700$ for a windshield is surreal.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Same here.. As I have mentioned several times, prior to having the TSB performed the only time I was hearing any noise was in colder temps. Drove the Q7 through two summers (2017/18) without any noise at all but as soon as the temps dropped into the low 40's in the fall, and especially into the 30's they would squeal.

But even when they were making noise in the cold weather, usually after 5 mins +/- of driving the noise would go away as the brakes warmed up and usually the noise wouldn't return until the next morning after it sat outside overnight.

My dealer finally rec'd my parts the beginning of Feb and since then even during cold temps and snow the brakes have been quiet.
I just wanted to update one of my previous posts.

So as I mentioned I had the TSB performed back in Feb and even though I went through the cold and some snow the brakes were quiet. Until now.

Fast forward to last week or the week before. It rained over night and the temps dropped into the high 40's and the brakes made noise again the next morning.. After 5 mins of driving the noise was gone..
Old 10-17-2019, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

New update as of yesterday evening.
They told me the front rotors were within spec for thickness, however after a highway speed brake test they found a slight vibration coming from the fronts.
After measuring... after the brake test... they mentioned these are now not covered under the TSB and warranty due to deposits/warping/etc... so they quoted me $1130 or something for front rotors and hardware (after he told me a full front brake job is like $1300-$1400 the prior day).

I am currently going back and forth with the dealer and should have an update shortly. But to say the least, I am not thrilled with what's happening.
One would think if you are going to remove, inspect, and measure the front rotors, do it thoroughly. Not pad slap the car to find an issue with them hours later.
I am going to see what the dealer can do for me in regards to the replacement cost of the front rotors... stay tuned.

Last edited by mhoran89; 10-17-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have come to an agreement. ~$650 for front rotors and hardware, they are eating the labor the second time (first was under TSB/warranty). Overall, not pleased with what transpired, but they are giving me a deal on the parts and everything should be buttoned up on Monday.
Stay tuned for more updates.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I have come to an agreement. ~$650 for front rotors and hardware, they are eating the labor the second time (first was under TSB/warranty). Overall, not pleased with what transpired, but they are giving me a deal on the parts and everything should be buttoned up on Monday.
Stay tuned for more updates.
I just had the front rotors replacement due to warping at 23k. I have no brake squeak or noise. They originally told me 1140 (after tax) and I had to pay. I complained and upset with the issue as I drive gently saying the rotors must have been defective. They said they checked with Audi. Finally, they agreed to replace the rotors for 407 (after tax) under goodwill. They told me the rotors might have been warped because I often wash the car after getting home and I live downhill. I sprayed water over the brakes to remove dust while they are hot! I thought it was Ok. Lesson learned. Anyway, I’m very happy now and no more annoying noise/shutter when braking.
my brake pads are still 9 out of 10 for the thickness. Amazing after 23k and no dust. Looks like the pads can last a very long time.
For more than a week, I drove SQ5 from dealer with 3500 miles on the odometer. The quality is cheap compared to Q7. The backup camera is terrible, very low resolution. The mileage was about the same ~22.5. I drove for 400+ miles. I don’t like the acceleration and the noise. I couldn’t wait to get my Q7 back

Last edited by Taylor Collins; 10-18-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Taylor Collins
I just had the front rotors replacement due to warping at 23k. I have no brake squeak or noise. They originally told me 1140 (after tax) and I had to pay. I complained and upset with the issue as I drive gently saying the rotors must have been defective. They said they checked with Audi. Finally, they agreed to replace the rotors for 407 (after tax) under goodwill. They told me the rotors might have been warped because I often wash the car after getting home and I live downhill. I sprayed water over the brakes to remove dust while they are hot! I thought it was Ok. Lesson learned. Anyway, I’m very happy now and no more annoying noise/shutter when braking.
my brake pads are still 9 out of 10 for the thickness. Amazing after 23k and no dust. Looks like the pads can last a very long time.
For more than a week, I drove SQ5 from dealer with 3500 miles on the odometer. The quality is cheap compared to Q7. The backup camera is terrible, very low resolution. The mileage was about the same ~22.5. I drove for 400+ miles. I don’t like the acceleration and the noise. I couldn’t wait to get my Q7 back
Glad you got some resolution, looks like for less $ than myself.
It seems as though the dealers will give in if you are persistent, especially on this brake (TSB) issue..

On another note, I have driven a new SQ5 and found it phenomenal, but for the performance and MPG and cost, a used Q7 seemed like a better deal.
The new SQ5 exhaust sound is glorious, it is an awesome engine, and has tons of creature features. But the seats are more restrictive and to get one loaded did not make sense compared to a gently used Q7 pretty much fully loaded.

I came from a 2014 A8L and found the driver assist, cameras, etc. much better in the 2017 Q7 and that SQ5 I drove was on the same level. You also have to realize that is a twin scroll single turbo configuration. Much different than a 2.0T or a supercharged V6. It is going to have a little lag, but sound much different. More whoosh versus the whining a supercharger has. And the supercharger is going to respond near immediately... either way I loved the new SQ5, but that's my $0.02.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You and I have different priorities 🙂. I like quietness and isolation. The SQ5 has rough idle while Q7 I feel nothing. I don’t like exhaust noise. For the cameras, I’ve tried Q5 before and both SQ5 and Q5 have low resolution, especially at night. I’m still amazed at Q7 resolution
Old 10-20-2019, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Taylor Collins
You and I have different priorities 🙂. I like quietness and isolation. The SQ5 has rough idle while Q7 I feel nothing. I don’t like exhaust noise. For the cameras, I’ve tried Q5 before and both SQ5 and Q5 have low resolution, especially at night. I’m still amazed at Q7 resolution
I understand what you are saying. My Q7 is more like my prior A8L. The SQ5 is more like my tuned A5 convertible, so I think that's why I settled on the Q7 to replace my larger car.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

After two years of pushback by the dealership against applying the TSB to my Q7, yesterday they finally applied it and the brakes no longer squeak. (There's a new service manager who is great.) I first noted the squeaking 30 days after taking ownership of the vehicle. It's now three years later.

Separately, I had my windshield replaced due to a crack from a rock. The manufacturer spec also requires a wheel alignment prior to calibrating the various vehicle safety systems.

It feels like a new vehicle.

Pleased for the time being.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 BRAKE ISSUES, NO FIX IN SIGHT