Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 maximum weight capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 Q7 maximum weight capacity

I would like to know the maximum weight that I can safely put in our Q7 Prestige with towing package. Reading the Vehicle Specifications in the Tech data section in the manual , I find it thoroughly confusing. Does anyone have a reliable number for the weight that can safely be carried (people and luggage/cargo)? Thanks, Ken K
Old 08-30-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Q7 Prestige's curb weight is 4,938 lbs, and it's GVWR is 6,479 lbs. So that works out to 1,541 lbs of passengers and cargo, assuming no trailer. If you are pulling a trailer, subtract the tongue weight to get the total.
The following users liked this post:
calculi (06-22-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am als new to the Audiworld and recently purchased trailer (Keystone Bullet 243BHS with 5088 lbs dry weight and 550 lbs tongue load)). I am reading through different threads regarding the weight, WDH and antisway bars and its still confusing. I see that most responders does not advocate for WDH. Why is that? What is so different about Q7 versus other SUVs/trucks? (btw, I can't find in the manual where Audi does not recommend WDH). What about Anti-Sway bars? I went to the store where I bought the trailer (which I have not picked up yet as it is being prepared) and was presented with WDH and Anti-sway bars in one system. Is that something I should avoid because of the unique Audi trailer receiver configuration?
Old 08-14-2020, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spychajr
Hi, I am als new to the Audiworld and recently purchased trailer (Keystone Bullet 243BHS with 5088 lbs dry weight and 550 lbs tongue load)). I am reading through different threads regarding the weight, WDH and antisway bars and its still confusing. I see that most responders does not advocate for WDH. Why is that? What is so different about Q7 versus other SUVs/trucks? (btw, I can't find in the manual where Audi does not recommend WDH). What about Anti-Sway bars? I went to the store where I bought the trailer (which I have not picked up yet as it is being prepared) and was presented with WDH and Anti-sway bars in one system. Is that something I should avoid because of the unique Audi trailer receiver configuration?
I'm in the same boat as you... looking at the 243BHS. Did you ever find your answer?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

p94 of the manual (at least the version I have in PDF on the computer) has a large gray box of warnings in the towing section. It states:"Never mount a "weight -distributing" or "load-balancing" trailer coupler as the trailer hitch. The vehicle was not designed for these types of trailer hitches. The trailer hitch can malfunction and the trailer can break off from the vehicle"
Anti-sway bars by themselves should be fine - it is the WDH that torques the hitch. People have reported that the way that the hitch is bolted onto the Q7 is different than many other SUVs, and the stress imparted by a WDH could possibly sheer (or pull out?) those bolts.