Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Navigation Update frustration

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sickk23
I get a connection error when attempting to download OTA.
Isn't your Q7 a brand new 19? It did not have the latest data already? Do you know when it was built?

Just wondering - I had assumed mine would have the latest data since it was built in May. If it might not be the latest then I will ask the dealer to update it pre-delivery.

I will have them look to see on what version of the data it has. If I am understanding the thread then I should probably see "2019" already in there but that the 2019/2020 will be the next available (in June 2019 - meaning soon?).

Last edited by Astropup; 06-17-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Q7 end of April, I was not sure if I had the latest maps and I know there is a new road that opened up in a neighboring state late last year and I need to go that direction in a couple weeks. So I was attempting the online update from the vehicle to hopefully try to reduce risk of missing that new road that opened.

I too am getting an error connecting to the server or something like that each time I attempt the OTA update from the vehicle. Basically I get an error message as well. I do have the trial audi connect but need to look up if I'm doing something wrong.

My Q7 actually was built in December 2018 and hit the dealer's lot then. I bought from inventory vs ordering like I have done in the past with mercedes. They had done dealer prep (that dealer checklist, can't remember the name) on the car back in February. My car was reporting that it would be due by date for the first 10k service over 80 days from when I had bought it. I had them reset that but I was really not sure what they had or had not updated on the vehicle and what version was there.

So still unclear what that error means or what I may be doing wrong. Do all Q7s have an SD slot or only if you got the upgraded audio package? I have the Prestige level trim but I did not upgrade the audio. I was looking for an SD slot and did not see one yet.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeburnett
What year is your Audi?
2017 Prestige
Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've performed 2 downloads a year ever since, you might be up against that "5 download limit" the screen warns of. I sure don't know why they'd be so restrictive but that screen suggests they are.

Even still, this is a whole lot better than Lexus who charged me ~$250/year for an update CDROM!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmmm.... So, if I’ve already reached my 5 download limit than I assume I would have to purchase the map to update it?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the SD slot in the glove compartment. I was able today to start the OTA update versus getting the error I had on 3 other occasions. I thought prior it claimed it was 2018/2019 version installed.

Though it would let me try to select other regions, it did not seem to keep the selection of the others from what I could tell but maybe my first region has to update?

It is taking a very long time to update so had to turn the car off and sounds like it will resume when I get back in and start driving it.

Last edited by dminahan; 06-17-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I've always wondered whether the 5 updates are counted only if you take each one or counted regardless of whether you upload them or not. Let's the release an update every 6 months, then you only get 2.5 years of updates free if you upload each one. But, what if you only download and update them once a year? Will you get 5 years' worth, or still only 2.5 years since those 5 updates were available, even if you didn't take them?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
I've always wondered whether the 5 updates are counted only if you take each one or counted regardless of whether you upload them or not. Let's the release an update every 6 months, then you only get 2.5 years of updates free if you upload each one. But, what if you only download and update them once a year? Will you get 5 years' worth, or still only 2.5 years since those 5 updates were available, even if you didn't take them?
I believe it has been reliably confirmed, that these are use it or lose it on the first 5 available downloads. If you miss one, it would be lost but would still be counted against your 5.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
The limit has nothing to do with whether you actually install the updates, only the number of updates that have been published since you bought your car.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I believe it has been reliably confirmed, that these are use it or lose it on the first 5 available downloads. If you miss one, it would be lost but would still be counted against your 5.
Originally Posted by rccoleman
The limit has nothing to do with whether you actually install the updates, only the number of updates that have been published since you bought your car.
Thank you both!

Quick Reply: 2019 Navigation Update frustration