Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 Trailer Weight Determination (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @ang934 for the detailed posting here.

I have a 2017 Q7 and was in the process of getting it ready to tow an Airstream 22'. One area that I have not found a solution for is the sagging of the rear ens when towing. There are many air lift kits in the market for almost any vehicle conceivable (even for an Audi A3) but nothing for the Q7. Here's an example of the basic kit for an Audi Q3 and A3: https://www.firestoneip.com/kit-search/?card=4176

There's an Air Suspension Package for the Q7 that has Air Suspension from the factory but unfortunately I don't have it.

Have you or anyone else here has done any research and found a solution for this?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

tongue
Originally Posted by Albizu Garcia
Thanks @ang934 for the detailed posting here.

I have a 2017 Q7 and was in the process of getting it ready to tow an Airstream 22'. One area that I have not found a solution for is the sagging of the rear ens when towing. There are many air lift kits in the market for almost any vehicle conceivable (even for an Audi A3) but nothing for the Q7. Here's an example of the basic kit for an Audi Q3 and A3: https://www.firestoneip.com/kit-search/?card=4176

There's an Air Suspension Package for the Q7 that has Air Suspension from the factory but unfortunately I don't have it.

Have you or anyone else here has done any research and found a solution for this?
Have you measured your tongue weight to see what you are working with? Are you looking at the Caravel 22FB? So how many people are in the car? You have to watch the vehicle capacity which is people, cargo in the car, and the trailer tongue weight, to make sure your not exceeding that.

Have you looked at some solutions here? Carid

Last edited by ang934; 09-12-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-12-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ang934
tongue
Have you measured your tongue weight to see what you are working with? Are you looking at the Caravel 22FB? So how many people are in the car? You have to watch the vehicle capacity which is people, cargo in the car, and the trailer tongue weight, to make sure your not exceeding that.

Have you looked at some solutions here? Carid
Yes, we are towing a Caravel 22 and the tongue weight is 525lbs max but I have not weighted it. The products on CarID are for performance only as stated by the manufacturer. Ideally I would find something like this that's designed for simple and cheap installation.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe its worth a call to Audi Headquarters to see if they have a solution. You are within the correct parameters for towing. Towing with it unlevel is not a good idea.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Maybe its worth a call to Audi Headquarters to see if they have a solution. You are within the correct parameters for towing. Towing with it unlevel is not a good idea.
If one doesn't have air suspension (like me) the rear sagging is pretty normal when you put weight on the hitch (or even when you load the cargo area).
Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hi yes used airlift they work great been towing with q7 for 2 years now i got under measured with and height and got set sent to au easy to fit
Old 08-30-2020, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you for your entry

Thanks for the comprehensive report. We also own an Audi Q7 [2019 with 3.0 engine] and are just beginning to sort all of the numbers out. Your report was most helpful. We are considering an Airstream 23’ Globetrotter but have not yet run the numbers. What trailer did you wind up purchasing?
Bob Harter, Pacific Palisades, CA
charterharter@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2020, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Charterharter
Thanks for the comprehensive report. We also own an Audi Q7 [2019 with 3.0 engine] and are just beginning to sort all of the numbers out. Your report was most helpful. We are considering an Airstream 23’ Globetrotter but have not yet run the numbers. What trailer did you wind up purchasing?
Bob Harter, Pacific Palisades, CA
charterharter@gmail.com
hi i am in australia 22ft travel trailer 3 ton weight also q7 is diesel 272hp 600tq
Old 09-22-2020, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I own a 2019 Audi Q7 with the 3.0 engine and the towing package. Recently, in response to my inquiry, the dealer’s representative stated that the factory towing package includes a transmission cooling system adjustment that allows more coolant to flow when the car is towing a trailer.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default great summary

I’m new to the Audi club, and bought my Audi over other cars for one big reason, to tow a travel trailer. The Audi has a high tow capacity for the size vehicle. The BMW X5, and Jeep Grand Cherokee are up there as well. I do not own a trailer quite yet, but will be getting one soon.

So now that I have the Q7, next was the travel trailer, but how big could it be? I thought that this would be easy to figure out, but it wasn’t. I did some research, spoke to experts, read the owner’s manual, and read other AudiWorld posts. I was finding lots of misinformation on AudoWorld and other places, so I decided to write down what I learned here. There are lots of falsehoods out there, and I wanted to have this info in one place. My goal was following EVERY Audi requirement to the letter and NOT second-guessing what they say. In German style, their requirements are VERY precise. My car is a 2019 Q7 Prestige with 3.0 supercharged engine with a factory installed trailer hitch. If you add a third-party trailer hitch, your weight capacity might be less, but it is NEVER more. Note that the the Audi Q7 2.0 liter is rated to tow much less than the 3.0 liter V6 version.

So, let’s get started. Let’s start with the car side. Just how much stuff and people can you keep in the car when towing a travel trailer? The Audi manual recommends to “Store objects in the vehicle luggage compartment, if possible. The vehicle should always carry the heaviest possible load and the trailer should have the lightest possible load.” But what is that load? If you open the driver’s door, there is a sticker on your car that gives a capacity for “cargo and passengers.” On my car its 1367 lb., but keep in mind, this is cargo, passengers, AND trailer tongue weight. The maximum tongue weight for my Audi is 770 lb. and Audi recommend I get as close to that weight as possible, and note the type of suspension does NOT matter. So, let’s say I start with the 1367 lb. limit, and subtract 770 lb. tongue weight. This leaves 597 lb. for passengers & cargo. Before adding any cargo, add your passenger weight. You may have 7 seats, but with a trailer, be VERY careful on cargo weight. For this example, I’m going to assume 597 lb. in passenger and cargo weight. Three or four people alone could get there. Or two people and some cargo.

Now let’s move on to the trailer. I got my 597 lb. of passengers and cargo that are ready to go camping. Audi says the trailer receiver you pick should be NO MORE than 6.193” from the locking pin to the center of the ball in length. (Who says Germans aren’t precise.) I searched everywhere, and there was only one receiver that met this requirement. Not surprisingly, it’s the one Audi sells for $70, so I bought it. Whatever you buy, make sure the ball and receiver are rated AT LEAST 7,700 lb. The Audi one is. But a problem, the Audi one comes with a 2” ball, and almost all travel trailers today use a 2 5/16th ball, so you need to switch the ball. Walmart and Home Depot have these, but remember you need a 1” shank. First you need to remove the 2” ball on the Audi receiver. Place it in the car hitch receiver but turned 90 degrees from normal. Then get a VERY large 1 ˝” wrench to remove it. Warning, Audi puts this on VERY tight.

Before you put on the new ball, we need to talk a bit about trailer stabilizers. I recommend one and there is a bracket you can get that fits between the ball and receiver to connect one, BUT it requires a ball with a longer shank. If you use it, get a 2 5/16” ball, 1” shank that is at least 2.4” long. This is tricky to find, but it can be found. While we are here, I should mention the the “load distributing trailer hitch.” Audi say NOT to use one, so DON’T use one. Period. If you don’t like that, argue with Audi, not me. It should be noted that two companies (at least) make aftermarket trailer hitches for the Q7, Draw-Tite and Curt, and NEITHER are rated for a load distributing hitch. DO NOT USE ONE, no matter how smart you think you are for doing so.

If your trailer is over 3000 lb. you also need a brake controller. There are three types you can use. One connects to an under-dash connector, one fits between the trailer and car and connects to your phone via Bluetooth, and one mounts to the trailer and communicates with a wireless receiver connected to your 12V socket. Your choice. I bought the trailer mounted one.

OK finally on to the trailer. How heavy can it be? 7,770 lb. right? Smiley face. NOPE. Your capacity is 7,700 lb. but this includes the weight of cargo and passengers in the car. For us this is 597 lb. (Do NOT add the tongue weight here.) You have 7,700 lb. – 597 lb. = 7,103 lb. and a tongue weight of 770 lb. OK off you go to buy that 7,103 lb. trailer, but NOT YET. Audi says for ever 3,200 ft. altitude over 3,200 ft. where you tow, you need to reduce towing capacity by 10% (770 lb.) This one is tricky. If you are only on the East Coast, 3,200 ft. elevation is fine. But in the West, that is a joke. So you will have to figure your own case, but I set an arbitrary altitude of 6,400 ft. NOT TO EXCEED, which means my trailer can be 7,700 lb. – 597 lb. – 770 lb. = 6,333 lb. I’m going to round DOWN to 6,000 lb. That’s not a bad trailer. Maybe 22’ or 23’

So, lets try to understand trailer weight. There is a dry weight, the net carrying capacity weight, and the trailer GVWR, which is what the frame and wheels of the trailer can support. Dry weight + net carrying capacity is always equal to or under the GVWR weight. To be safe, I recommend for your GVWR to be under 6,333 lb. but technically its dry weight plus what you have put in it, including water tanks. Water weight 8 lb. per gallon. Again, Audi also recommends that you keep your tongue weight as high as possible without exceeding the 770 lb. limit. Tongue weigh given for trailers usually does NOT include propane weight or the weight of batteries. Anyway, just buy your AirStream Flying Cloud 23FB and away you go…. Yipee!! Smiley face.

So to summarize, watch your car weight limits. You can not have more than 3 or 4 people in your car with a trailer, we’ll unless they are supermodels and weigh very little. If that is the case, have all you want as long as your wife doesn't object. Next, add a 2 5/16” trailer ball and trailer stabilizer if you like. Finally, subtract your car carrying weight from your trailer capacity, and derate for high-altitude driving. Be safe and figure these weight loads yourself. The trailer dealer may lie to you to sell you a bigger trailer with bigger profit. And be safe.

I hope this is helpful, and if something I stated here is incorrect, please point it out, but please do not tell me how a load distributing trailer hitch changes all this despite the fact Audi clearly says to NOT use one. Your fight with them, not me.
THANK YOU! Wish I could buy you a beer. We're buying both a travel trailer and tow vehicle and really want to keep in the Q7 or similar size vehicle rather than moving up to a truck. This gives me the confidence to right-size the trailer if possible to stay with the Q7. I look forward to any additions to this post.

Quick Reply: 2019 Q7 Trailer Weight Determination (long)