Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 Trailer Weight Determination (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm considering the following set up . 2021 Q8 base engine with Premium plus package & tow package. Forest River RPOD 202 . Tongue weight 475lbs. Two passengers with weight of 340 lbs. Dry weight of the RPOD is 4600lbs. Figuring another 750 lbs for gear. Will this set up work comfortably & safely ? We reside on the east coast & plan to travel out west fairly often . I'm guessing I will need to add the brake controller. Would it be advisable to buy the Q8 with the air suspension included or would I be fine with the steel springs ?
Old 03-24-2021, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Terpnation
So I'm considering the following set up . 2021 Q8 base engine with Premium plus package & tow package. Forest River RPOD 202 . Tongue weight 475lbs. Two passengers with weight of 340 lbs. Dry weight of the RPOD is 4600lbs. Figuring another 750 lbs for gear. Will this set up work comfortably & safely ? We reside on the east coast & plan to travel out west fairly often . I'm guessing I will need to add the brake controller. Would it be advisable to buy the Q8 with the air suspension included or would I be fine with the steel springs ?
Hi. Thats a nice trailer. I'm looking at a similar one. I have been looking at lots as well. Was going to buy one last March, then COVID and the rest is history. From what I see, as someone also shopping, is it looks like a good choice. Make sure you get the factory hitch included. Yes, you will need a brake controller. Also, if you want to follow the Audi rules, get the trailer ball mount from Audi. I had to swap out the 2" ball they provided for 2 5/8" which most trailers use. The Audi ball mount is overpriced, but it's very short, which Audi requires.

On the air suspension, I hear its good to have, but my car doesn't have it. Couldn't find it on may cars in the lot.

So a few other things. This trailer is pretty light, but don't forget, you will have gear in the car & gear in the trailer, water batteries, propane, etc. My goal for me is get a trailer with a GVW under 6000 lb. and under 26ft. That is the full weight. Forest River doesn't seem to publish that, which is strange. But you should be OK, but remember the 7,700 lb. trailer weight includes people in the car, gear in the car, plus trailer and gear, water, batteries, propane, and everything in the trailer. The car GVW includes people in the car, gear in the car, PLUS the trailer tongue weight.

Remember, NO WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION hitches.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

we use to tow a Airstream 19 with our Tundra - sold both and now 'camp' in hotels and resorts. BTW - the corner bed in the 19 sucks if you are tall
Old 03-24-2021, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Terpnation
I would definitely get the air suspension. Remember that your tongue weight will NOT be 475 lbs when you are towing. That trailer has a CCC of 1911 lbs. You will be surprised how quickly you may get up to that - many people go over without even knowing it. I would be amazed if you head out the door with a trailer weight under 6000 lbs, and likely will be near your trailer limit of 6500 lbs. You will therefore WANT a tongue weight north of 700 lbs to have 12% of the weight on the tongue to avoid sway. You will be trying to add airbags and kicking yourself if you get the steel springs. IMHO, you need air suspension for a trailer that size, especially if you towing far. Just be careful that you know what your trailer truly weighs when you head out and that you have enough weight on the tongue. I wouldn't go any bigger, but you will be amazed at how well the Q7 (w/air) will handle that. I pull a bunkhouse trailer (21 ft box, 24 ft total) that was supposedly going to be 3930 lbs dry, but turns out to be 6300 lbs when we travel. I pull it up passes in Utah at 65 MPH and love seeing people in 1/2 ton pickups in disbelief when I pass them while they are struggling to pull their trailers. And yes, you will need an electronic brake controller.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Today we purchased a 23’ Airstream which we ordered in October. We have a 2021 Audi Q8 with the adaptable suspension package It’s unhitched (in photos) but we will be using a EAZ Lift Elite 800lbs with a custom shank.

Below is the specs for our 2021 Airstream Flying Cloud. Dry Weight

4,806 lbs.

Payload Capacity

1,194 lbs.

GVWR

6,000 lbs.

Hitch Weight

467 lbs.

Brake Controller

I want to do a wired controller but the AirStream dealer has had some issues with Audi mainly Q7 in the past with them not always working. I am
considering having it mounted in the storage space on the left side of the driver. The dealer did see holes in the area and we may try... has anyone installed it in their area and can share photos?

Old 03-25-2021, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
Today we purchased a 23’ Airstream which we ordered in October. We have a 2021 Audi Q8 with the adaptable suspension package It’s unhitched (in photos) but we will be using a EAZ Lift Elite 800lbs with a custom shank.

Below is the specs for our 2021 Airstream Flying Cloud. Dry Weight

4,806 lbs.

Payload Capacity

1,194 lbs.

GVWR

6,000 lbs.

Hitch Weight

467 lbs.

Brake Controller

I want to do a wired controller but the AirStream dealer has had some issues with Audi mainly Q7 in the past with them not always working. I am
considering having it mounted in the storage space on the left side of the driver. The dealer did see holes in the area and we may try... has anyone installed it in their area and can share photos?

I you want to do wired controller why not just use the Audi branded Curt? It's reasonable and comes with everything to plug right in to your existing wiring.
I have been using one and have no complaints so far.
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__Q7...AW055204A.html
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by meyergsr
I you want to do wired controller why not just use the Audi branded Curt? It's reasonable and comes with everything to plug right in to your existing wiring.
I have been using one and have no complaints so far.
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__Q7...AW055204A.html
thanks for sharing. I was told someone else had a bad experience with it not working but glad to know it does work for you. I’ll look into it.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

The Tekonsha Prodigy series are by far the best controllers out there. I have this one:
Amazon Amazon
It is nice, because it can be installed at more angles and still function - many of the others need to be flat/level in order to work properly. You may need a wiring harness to adapt to the Audi, but any experienced trailer place should be able to do it for you if you are not the DIY type, I set mine up so long ago I can't remember what I had to do, and I remember making a wiring harness for my previous generation Audi and don't remember if I had to use that one for my current Q7 as well. They make wireless versions as well, but I have no experience with them.

Regarding installation location - you need the controller to be in a place where you can see it, and very importantly, you need to be able to quickly and easily reach it to hit the manual braking function on it in case of an emergency. If your trailer starts to sway, you should NOT step on the Audi's brakes - you need to manually activate the trailer brakes on the controller so the trailer hits the brakes and straightens itself behind you. You should not, therefore, but it in a door pocket or tucked away somewhere. I have mine installed just to the right of the steering column under the dash under where it starts curving away from you...ie, above/near where my right knee would be if I skootched all the way forward in my seat. I have to lean forward just a bit, but can easily get to it with my right hand for adjustments and in case of an emergency.
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
The Tekonsha Prodigy series are by far the best controllers out there. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/TEKONSHA-Teko...6774766&sr=8-9
It is nice, because it can be installed at more angles and still function - many of the others need to be flat/level in order to work properly. You may need a wiring harness to adapt to the Audi, but any experienced trailer place should be able to do it for you if you are not the DIY type, I set mine up so long ago I can't remember what I had to do, and I remember making a wiring harness for my previous generation Audi and don't remember if I had to use that one for my current Q7 as well. They make wireless versions as well, but I have no experience with them.

Regarding installation location - you need the controller to be in a place where you can see it, and very importantly, you need to be able to quickly and easily reach it to hit the manual braking function on it in case of an emergency. If your trailer starts to sway, you should NOT step on the Audi's brakes - you need to manually activate the trailer brakes on the controller so the trailer hits the brakes and straightens itself behind you. You should not, therefore, but it in a door pocket or tucked away somewhere. I have mine installed just to the right of the steering column under the dash under where it starts curving away from you...ie, above/near where my right knee would be if I skootched all the way forward in my seat. I have to lean forward just a bit, but can easily get to it with my right hand for adjustments and in case of an emergency.
Thanks! Is this a wired version or Bluetooth? Any chance you can share a photo? The Airstream dealer mentioned that it could go in the left compartment of the driver side which as hiked in it already. I’ll take a photo but as you said it might nit be the beat location since it might be a bit difficult to reach.

Alternatively they mentioned something which sounded like where you put yours on the right side. It doesn’t sound like it interferes with you while driving? Is it removable at all when mounted if not in use?

Old 03-27-2021, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
The Tekonsha Prodigy series are by far the best controllers out there. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/TEKONSHA-Teko...6774766&sr=8-9

advice on placement. See photos!

Holes in back maybe for pre-wire

Seems like position is low enough but not that low

Left side compartment

Quick Reply: 2019 Q7 Trailer Weight Determination (long)