Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 Trailer Weight Determination (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Our 2018 Q7 doesn't have that storage on the left, I have my wired controller right down below it. The wires for it come up in the back of the foot well on the left side, so easy to plug it
Old 03-27-2021, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

The cubby MIGHT work if you have a wireless controller and it starts at the front, essentially on the flip-down cover. Mine is a 2018 and doesn’t have that cubby. Here’s my install. The bracket remains there all the time and I put the brake controller in it just for trips and otherwise keep it stored with the trailer.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this detailed note. It is really helpful. If this information written down in the Q7 owners manual ?
Old 01-17-2022, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Anyone tried a curt 51170 controller?
I'm not a fan of the style that hangs under the dash. This setup allows you to mount the sensors behind the dash and just have a dial exposed. Seems like a clean way to do it. Just curious if anyone has any experience with one.

https://www.carid.com/curt/1975-amer...hoCVHMQAvD_BwE
Old 01-18-2022, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,202 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboale
Anyone tried a curt 51170 controller?
I'm not a fan of the style that hangs under the dash. This setup allows you to mount the sensors behind the dash and just have a dial exposed. Seems like a clean way to do it. Just curious if anyone has any experience with one.

https://www.carid.com/curt/1975-amer...hoCVHMQAvD_BwE
why not go with the wireless echo one. I hear really good things and my buddy's dad went cross country with it and said he really liked it and had no issues. uses your phone as an interface.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
why not go with the wireless echo one. I hear really good things and my buddy's dad went cross country with it and said he really liked it and had no issues. uses your phone as an interface.
Every system has its quirks but wireless and reliability don't usually go hand in hand. I'll take a wired connection every day of the week. Also having a hard button where you know where it is withot looking is what you need in an emergency as your trailer starts to sway out of control. Could you imagine trying to keep the truck straight as you reach for a phone that inevitably is not on the right app? If all you do is across town short trips that could be an option. But if there is ever any kind of highway I would highly recommend avoiding a system that requires a phone for an emergency stop.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Turboale
Every system has its quirks but wireless and reliability don't usually go hand in hand. I'll take a wired connection every day of the week. Also having a hard button where you know where it is withot looking is what you need in an emergency as your trailer starts to sway out of control. Could you imagine trying to keep the truck straight as you reach for a phone that inevitably is not on the right app? If all you do is across town short trips that could be an option. But if there is ever any kind of highway I would highly recommend avoiding a system that requires a phone for an emergency stop.
i would agree but that **** cannot help you for independent brakes, only applies both sides at once and working through the settings kind of sucks. it does look very sleek and streamlined though
Old 01-18-2022, 01:17 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Echo and have used it to tow my 2021 Winnebago 2100BH. It worked, though there were occasional communication errors. I do not like how far it hung down with the trailer plugged in. That being said, I went ahead and installed this https://getautowbrake.com/ and now everything is as it should be. I have mounted the key fob on the dash with velcro. I agree that there is no substitute for a wired connection, but I do like the convenience of having the controller on the trailer rather than the TV.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dark Kauphee
I have the Echo and have used it to tow my 2021 Winnebago 2100BH. It worked, though there were occasional communication errors. I do not like how far it hung down with the trailer plugged in. That being said, I went ahead and installed this https://getautowbrake.com/ and now everything is as it should be. I have mounted the key fob on the dash with velcro. I agree that there is no substitute for a wired connection, but I do like the convenience of having the controller on the trailer rather than the TV.
issue with that is what happens if there is a runaway. most vehicles with a 12v (battery) power supply and electric brakes should have a runaway tether that if pulled applies the trailer brakes.... no? my neighbor's dump trailer has one.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
issue with that is what happens if there is a runaway. most vehicles with a 12v (battery) power supply and electric brakes should have a runaway tether that if pulled applies the trailer brakes.... no? my neighbor's dump trailer has one.
I feel like there are laws on this, but I'm not 100% certain. Regardless of the laws, it's an important part of the system and shouldn't be overlooked.

Personally, having a quick and easily reached emergency braking activation in the cab has saved my butt a number of times. I won't run a remote/wireless brake controller. Period.

Quick Reply: 2019 Q7 Trailer Weight Determination (long)