Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2022 Apple CarPlay Issues - Looking for Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2022 Apple CarPlay Issues - Looking for Tips

I’ve had my 2022 Q7 for 1.5 months now and am really enjoying it. The one thing that bothers me is that wireless CarPlay randomly disconnects then usually reconnects in about 30 seconds. Very annoying when listening to music. I have an iPhone XR. Not the newest model but the phone works well.

I have tried setting up the phone connection multiple times and connecting via Bluetooth before wifi for CarPlay.

any tips?
Old 09-03-2022, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve got similar issues with wired CarPlay on my 2019. Seems to be pretty random, sometimes it will work fine on a long trip, other times it will cut out. Haven’t been able to notice any pattern to it.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Biggest issue I have found with CarPlay is ensuring your phone is running the latest iOS.

I had similar issues when using one of my older phones (8) wirelessly. Eventually upgraded to a newer model (11, a few years ago), and it’s trouble free. I have the wireless option in several of my cars now, factory audi headunits and aftermarket, and of course Im in new inventory cars daily
Old 09-05-2022, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Running latest iOS on an iphone 12 pro and have the same random disconnection issues when running wirelessly. Sometimes it's because i'm doing a long trip and the phone has overheated from the wireless charger (phone screen says it's suspended due to high temp), but most of the time it just randomly disconnects. Happens with my partners iPhone too.
I mentioned it at my last service and they said they did a reset on the MMI but it still happens.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Same thing here and turned out to be my cord (maybe) got worn out where the phone plugs in.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't know if it's wireless CarPlay by itself or Audi's implementation, but it doesn't seem very stable in my experience. I use wired CarPlay with an iPhone XS in my Merc and it pretty much works flawlessly, but I drove a 2022 A6 for three weeks while in Europe on vacation and used wireless CarPlay. It had all kinds of issues to the point where it started freezing on me and I had to restart the phone. Somebody mentioned it already above, I think part of the issue is that the phone gets too hot. My trip was during a heat wave in Europe and it did seem that the issues occurred when it was hot in the car. In my Benz the storage compartments are climatized, so the phone never overheats, but I noticed that my phone got really hot in the A6.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPlay Connectivity

I have a 2018 Audi A4 and have had frustrating connectivity issues with my iPhone via USB cable with CarPlay. 80% of the time it works fine. But 10% of the time the system says to use CarPlay, connect a smartphone. Usually by unplugging the phone and plugging it back in several times I can get it to connect. The other 10% of the time, it connects successfully, but the screen goes completely blank and then comes on and off every few seconds. In this case it appears to go blank when my speed falls below 20mph and returns to normal when my speed increases above 20mph. This has been consistently happening with multiple phones and multiple cables. My phone connects normally in my wife’s Audi Q5. The dealer’s mechanics have been no help as the computer says there are no faults. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-06-2022, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I should have clarified that my 2022 Q7 has wireless carplay.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstults
I have a 2018 Audi A4 and have had frustrating connectivity issues with my iPhone via USB cable with CarPlay. 80% of the time it works fine. But 10% of the time the system says to use CarPlay, connect a smartphone. Usually by unplugging the phone and plugging it back in several times I can get it to connect. The other 10% of the time, it connects successfully, but the screen goes completely blank and then comes on and off every few seconds. In this case it appears to go blank when my speed falls below 20mph and returns to normal when my speed increases above 20mph. This has been consistently happening with multiple phones and multiple cables. My phone connects normally in my wife’s Audi Q5. The dealer’s mechanics have been no help as the computer says there are no faults. Anyone have any ideas?
I was gonna say check for debris, especially lint, in your lightning port. A common issue with iPhones that are kept in pockets, but since it's working in your wife's Q5 that's likely not it. I know you said you tried several different cables, but did you try the cable that works in your wife's car? If that doesn't work, either, then it might be a damaged USB port in your car. Inspect it to see if a pin is broken and use some contact cleaning spray in case something got in there.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-06-2022 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fstults (09-07-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a similar problem, since new, on my 2021 model Q8 with wireless apple carplay. Originally on my iPhone X, and then the same problem continued on my iPhone 13 Pro. For me it seems related to location, especially near to my home, and the carplay screen goes blank. I then de-activate and re-activate the phone connection via the MMI and it works fine after that. On my wife’s 2020 BMW, we have never had a problem with the wireless carplay – it seems like a very Audi specific problem, which they are taking years to resolve.

Quick Reply: 2022 Apple CarPlay Issues - Looking for Tips