Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

AC quits on Road Trips

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC quits on Road Trips

In our 2017 Q7, when we are driving on hot (90 degrees+) sunny days, the front air conditioner quits working - sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 2-3 hours. If we shut the system off for 10-15 minutes, it will then work, but only for about 15 minutes. (By "quits working" I mean that no cold air blows out of the front vents.)
We keep the air on Auto, usually set at 72-74 degrees. On the most recent trip, we set it at 77 but the thing still quit after an hour.
The dealer has not been able to replicate the problem, therefore says they can't fix it.
Help!
Old 09-09-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 388 Likes on 349 Posts

Eye, welcome aboard !!

Have a look here for the same concern: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ssues-2954100/
Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Are you running it in "auto" mode (the trapezoid under "Auto" is filled in)? I had issues on my BMW if I dropped the fan speed too low, then the condenser would freeze up. You'd lose all cold air until it thawed again.

If it's in "auto" then the fan would get set to prevent the freezing from happening.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Wires
Are you running it in "auto" mode (the trapezoid under "Auto" is filled in)? I had issues on my BMW if I dropped the fan speed too low, then the condenser would freeze up. You'd lose all cold air until it thawed again.

If it's in "auto" then the fan would get set to prevent the freezing from happening.

Yep. In "auto".
Met with Audi's shop foreman today to go over settings in the car. (I seriously wonder if they think the problem is that I am so stupid that I don't know how a thermostat works???) He said "Looks like you're doing everything right." He agreed that is sounds like the thing is freezing up, but said there is no reason it would because the sensors would prevent that. ARGH
Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a similar problem on my previous A4 Avant on a ski trip to Mammoth last year. It was 90+ degrees in Orange County as we headed out to Mammoth with a 4 year old in the back seat. 30 minutes into the trip as we were stuck in traffic heading out of OC, the AC went out (the cold air stopped blowing, but I could feel a slight bit of air coming out of the front vents). It was a long ~4 hour drive through the desert part of the trip before we would even get to the mountain, so I was debating on turning around or not and lose my whole payment for the lodging. Decided to leave it off for awhile to see if it would turn back on. After it being off for some time, the AC would work again for 15-20 minutes. Initially, I thought the AC/fan fuse might have blown, but sort of didn't make sense since it would work intermittently. Eventually, I decided to stop by an Autozone to just change the AC/fan fuses just to give it a try since it was the only thing I could try being on the road. Went in and bought new fuses, but when I pulled the fuses, they all looked to be still good (weren't blown as far as I could tell). I decided to change the fuses anyways since I had bought them already and might as well try. After changing the fuses, the AC worked fine for the rest of the trip.

Last edited by quattro_rails; 09-11-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by eyem
Yep. In "auto".
Met with Audi's shop foreman today to go over settings in the car. (I seriously wonder if they think the problem is that I am so stupid that I don't know how a thermostat works???) He said "Looks like you're doing everything right." He agreed that is sounds like the thing is freezing up, but said there is no reason it would because the sensors would prevent that. ARGH
He probably asked, just because the reason I said above. In the last gen of BMW, auto mode brought auto + fan speed (fan speed is the maximum amount the auto mode could hit when it needs to cool or heat). That's where I got messed up since I left it on low since it's not clear in the manual.

In your case it could be a faulty high pressure switch on the AC.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by eyem
In our 2017 Q7, when we are driving on hot (90 degrees+) sunny days, the front air conditioner quits working - sometimes after an hour, sometimes after 2-3 hours. If we shut the system off for 10-15 minutes, it will then work, but only for about 15 minutes. (By "quits working" I mean that no cold air blows out of the front vents.)
We keep the air on Auto, usually set at 72-74 degrees. On the most recent trip, we set it at 77 but the thing still quit after an hour.
The dealer has not been able to replicate the problem, therefore says they can't fix it.
Help!
Why I'm not getting another Audi.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Corgiman
Why I'm not getting another Audi.
Suggest you buy a horse and a buggy then. There is a chance of having that same issue on ANY brand.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just putting this out there. Are you charging a few devices? Such as ipad or computer using the cigarette lighter port? I only ask because on my old A4 if I plugged in my ipad to charge on a hot day...300+ days a year in Miami...my AC would die due to the draw on the engine. Or is there any accessory that you have hooked up that is drawing lots of power?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Suggest you buy a horse and a buggy then. There is a chance of having that same issue on ANY brand.
Yes but other brands seem to be able to actually FIX their cars. Lots of posts in the forums where Audi can't diagnose and repair including my soft close doors that don't work and Audi said it was "operator error." The horse and buggy would be more reliable.

Quick Reply: AC quits on Road Trips