Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

AC temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AC temperature

I’ve noticed that when temps are in the 90s and my vehicle has been sitting in the sun, that my AC doesn’t seem to be cooling well enough and takes a while to cool down. I have 2017 with dark blue exterior and brown nuuget(so) interior. Max AC seems to be not as cold as if I just have on 62. Cold air is coming out of the vents and maybe this is normal but just seems like it isn’t cooling as well as other vehicles I’ve owned in the past. When i leave a garage on hot day then it works fine, so maybe just a matter of sitting in the sun. Anyone else noticed this?
Old 05-26-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

My car is not usually parked outside, but at 90 degrees, its gonna be a challenge to cool any car if its been sitting out for a while. The Q7 is is huge inside and it will take a lot to get the temp down. I have noticed that my AC blows unusually hard and gets cold quick even when parked outside. I like to set it on Auto at 74, but feel like I need to turn down the fan speed because it blows a lot of air. I have no issues with cooling down the vechicle, but it only sits out while I run errands etc., not all day
Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

I live in the desert, 5400' above sea level. I can truly say the AC in my 2018 Q7 is much better than my 2014 Q7. I'm very satisfied with it.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye on it and see if I feel like it is working correctly.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjobev
I’ve noticed that when temps are in the 90s and my vehicle has been sitting in the sun, that my AC doesn’t seem to be cooling well enough and takes a while to cool down. I have 2017 with dark blue exterior and brown nuuget(so) interior. Max AC seems to be not as cold as if I just have on 62. Cold air is coming out of the vents and maybe this is normal but just seems like it isn’t cooling as well as other vehicles I’ve owned in the past. When i leave a garage on hot day then it works fine, so maybe just a matter of sitting in the sun. Anyone else noticed this?
I feel the same way about my 17 Ink Blue, takes forever to get comfortable tempature in the cabin. My Lexus GX460 had much better air conditioning.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I’ve also noticed that if I have a large yeti cup in the front cupholder that it messes with the temp. It is as if the passenger sensor gets a different temp reading and it actually blows hot air like the heat is coming on. I end up having to turn all the way to Lo to reset. It happens after taking a drink and putting it back in the cup holder.

In terms of AC temp it was hot yesterday and driving around was fine but in that case I had come from my garage vs it sitting in the sun in a parking lot on Saturday. I’m just not sure if i should take to the dealer.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy

I feel the same way about my 17 Ink Blue, takes forever to get comfortable tempature in the cabin. My Lexus GX460 had much better air conditioning.
What color exterior/interior was the Lexus? Darker colors - both exterior and interior contribute to heat load and temperature inside the vehicle. Problem is more of the heat load not the temperature. A/C can lower the temperature fairly quickly, however since the dark exterior and interior surfaces stored a lot of heat load, they continue to give off this heat for much longer period of time adding to the what the A/C system has to deal with in order to cool of the interior. Lighter surfaces will have lower heat load, and a lower starting temperature.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was 100+ for most of yesterday and the car was parked in the sun for most of it. I drove about 27 miles on the highway and only halfway through the trip did it feel like the car was cooled adequately. This was on Auto Lo, so I let the car figure it out as I drove and it took about the halfway point of each way to get cold.

It wasn't uncomfortable, so it was cooling a little bit but it certainly was not as good as our other cars. But I also can't remember the last time I drove in 100 degree heat.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
What color exterior/interior was the Lexus? Darker colors - both exterior and interior contribute to heat load and temperature inside the vehicle. Problem is more of the heat load not the temperature. A/C can lower the temperature fairly quickly, however since the dark exterior and interior surfaces stored a lot of heat load, they continue to give off this heat for much longer period of time adding to the what the A/C system has to deal with in order to cool of the interior. Lighter surfaces will have lower heat load, and a lower starting temperature.
Good point, it was white. 🤔
Old 05-28-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a black/black Q7 in Houston where it's hot and humid. We're hitting mid to upper 90's already. Most of the time the car is covered but when it spends a long time out in the sun it definitely takes longer to cool down. My thought is that all the interior trim gets superheated and radiates this back into the cabin. Weather permitting I open all the windows and blow out the hot air when I first start driving under those conditions.

Last edited by Corgiman; 05-28-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: AC temperature