Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

AC temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
It was 100+ for most of yesterday and the car was parked in the sun for most of it. I drove about 27 miles on the highway and only halfway through the trip did it feel like the car was cooled adequately. This was on Auto Lo, so I let the car figure it out as I drove and it took about the halfway point of each way to get cold.

It wasn't uncomfortable, so it was cooling a little bit but it certainly was not as good as our other cars. But I also can't remember the last time I drove in 100 degree heat.
How do I do Auto Low? I know how to do it in my BMW but not in my Q. Auto Low would be great as I feel the Q blows a lot of air all the time. Its gets cold quick in the cabin
Old 05-28-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjobev
I’ve noticed that when temps are in the 90s and my vehicle has been sitting in the sun, that my AC doesn’t seem to be cooling well enough and takes a while to cool down. I have 2017 with dark blue exterior and brown nuuget(so) interior. Max AC seems to be not as cold as if I just have on 62. Cold air is coming out of the vents and maybe this is normal but just seems like it isn’t cooling as well as other vehicles I’ve owned in the past. When i leave a garage on hot day then it works fine, so maybe just a matter of sitting in the sun. Anyone else noticed this?
Try clear tint on the windshield and moon roof. There are some tints that block up to 99% of UV rays and will keep the car 5-10 degrees cooler.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
How do I do Auto Low? I know how to do it in my BMW but not in my Q. Auto Low would be great as I feel the Q blows a lot of air all the time. Its gets cold quick in the cabin
Mine has a Max AC button on the right side of the climate control panel, and when I push it the temp control dials show "Auto Lo."
Old 05-29-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Doc H
Mine has a Max AC button on the right side of the climate control panel, and when I push it the temp control dials show "Auto Lo."
So you have to push Max AC to get Low?
Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So you have to push Max AC to get Low?
I think "Lo" as in low-temp....if you turn the thermostat all the way down, it eventually will show "Lo". Not "low" as in "gentle"
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My bad, thought we were meaning low temp vs low fan. The BMW Connect app did have one useful feature compared to MMI Connect: you could program the vent fans remotely to come on and vent the car prior to leaving work or shopping. Even without the AC, this could significantly reduce the heat load in the car.

Last edited by Doc H; 05-29-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
I think "Lo" as in low-temp....if you turn the thermostat all the way down, it eventually will show "Lo". Not "low" as in "gentle"
Ok, got it LOL. Yeah I mean the fan speed.

In BMW you can set Auto (which I like) but then you can set the fan speed for Auto using the fan toggle switches. Is there such a think in the Audi? I like to leave my temp set with Auto, but would love to lower the fan speed because the Q really blows a lot of air. Any way to adjust that fan speed while staying in Auto mode?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoMrB
Try clear tint on the windshield and moon roof. There are some tints that block up to 99% of UV rays and will keep the car 5-10 degrees cooler.
Completely agree - I didn't do the windshield, but did a ceramic tint on the sunroof, which made a noticeable difference in interior temp (gray Q7 with black interior). It's not super dark, but has reflective properties to reduce UV, etc...
Old 05-30-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OuttieForLife
Completely agree - I didn't do the windshield, but did a ceramic tint on the sunroof, which made a noticeable difference in interior temp (gray Q7 with black interior). It's not super dark, but has reflective properties to reduce UV, etc...
Do you mean IR? I would have hoped that the stock glass would be ~100% UV blocking, to protect occupants from sunburn, and the interior materials from bleaching in the sun.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....I think you're right. But if the stock glass doesn't block all UV, the tint does. LOL

I did the 35% Huper Optik Ceramic on the sunroof

Visible Light Transmittance: 34 percent.
Visible Light Reflectance: 15 percent.
Ultraviolet Rejected: 99.9 percent.
Infrared Rejection: 81 percent.
Shading Coefficient: 0.45.
Solar Heat Gain Coefficient: 0.39.
Total Solar Energy Rejected: 60 percent.
Glare Reduction: 61 percent.
Film Thickness: 1.5 mils (0.04 mm).
Emissivity: 0.85.
U-Value: 0.94.

Quick Reply: AC temperature