Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Adaptive Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Suspension Question

I recently purchased a Q7 and have read through the manual but still can't figure out what the ride height of the air suspension is when the vehicle is off. I think it defaults to whatever you had set previously once the car is started but does it stay that height when turned off or does it lower for easy entry/exit?

Asking because we have a new baby and it would be nice if the air suspension automatically lowered to lowest setting when you turn the car off.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonerockyhorror
I recently purchased a Q7 and have read through the manual but still can't figure out what the ride height of the air suspension is when the vehicle is off. I think it defaults to whatever you had set previously once the car is started but does it stay that height when turned off or does it lower for easy entry/exit?

Asking because we have a new baby and it would be nice if the air suspension automatically lowered to lowest setting when you turn the car off.
My experience so far is that is stays at the height that it is set to.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

mine too..... It would be nice though if the car went down when off.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hmm, I wonder if that's something that can be done through an OBDeleven.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tonerockyhorror
Hmm, I wonder if that's something that can be done through an OBDeleven.
Automatic lowering would be a little problematic for this reason: the car will never lower if there's a door open. This is to prevent an open door from hitting a curb, etc. So even it if were programmed to automatically lower, you would have to remember to hold off opening any doors until the lowering was complete.

Also, you'd really want it to lower to the "rear loading" position, which is lower than any driving position. I suppose some clever person could tap into the rear lowering switch in the back and make a parallel switch near the driver which you could then activate after shutting down but before opening any doors. Hmmm, I may look into that.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RickObe
Automatic lowering would be a little problematic for this reason: the car will never lower if there's a door open. This is to prevent an open door from hitting a curb, etc. So even it if were programmed to automatically lower, you would have to remember to hold off opening any doors until the lowering was complete.

Also, you'd really want it to lower to the "rear loading" position, which is lower than any driving position. I suppose some clever person could tap into the rear lowering switch in the back and make a parallel switch near the driver which you could then activate after shutting down but before opening any doors. Hmmm, I may look into that.
Good points. I would be ok with the lowering happening while doors are closed, assuming it happens quickly enough. But yes, lowering to the rear loading height would be even more ideal. I'm surprised they didn't build the functionality in since the are already using the air suspension and suvs like the range rover do this.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.active-sound.eu/en/audi/...air-suspension

will be looking into this module when my Q7 comes this summer. I don't know too much about the company but i have seen some C7 vehicles running the same module with success.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erwheezy
https://www.active-sound.eu/en/audi/...air-suspension

will be looking into this module when my Q7 comes this summer. I don't know too much about the company but i have seen some C7 vehicles running the same module with success.
It would be a hard sell to get me to cut the wiring harness for adaptive suspension on a $75k car...
Old 02-07-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
It would be a hard sell to get me to cut the wiring harness for adaptive suspension on a $75k car...
i'm pretty sure it's plug and play.

edit:

looks like on some models you might have to pin some wires, not as bad as cutting a factory harness.

Last edited by erwheezy; 02-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erwheezy
i'm pretty sure it's plug and play.

edit:

looks like on some models you might have to pin some wires, not as bad as cutting a factory harness.
From their site...

"This is a Do-it yourself solution, the original harness will be cut trough and the new conduction will be soldered on"

Quick Reply: Adaptive Suspension Question