Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Air suspension/adaptive chassis thoughts - long term

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension/adaptive chassis thoughts - long term

I’m in the market for a new Q7. Definitely going Prestige 3.0t. I’ve read all the threads about the adaptive chassis package - and I’ve driven the vehicle with and without the option. I do think it’s somewhat noticeable when driving with the air suspension, and know I’d would like the four wheel steering.

My question is more along the lines of people experience and thoughts on the Audi air suspension, from a long-term basis. I’ve had two Mercedes with air suspensions (GL 450 and e63). Both had a number of airmatic strut failures before 100k miles - something not uncommon with Mercedes air suspensions. Is air suspension failure also an issue with Audi’s, either somewhat routinely, or inevitably? I found the air suspension issues very frustrating with the Mercedes cars, and for that reason am wondering whether I would prefer to pass on the option on a Q7.

All thoughts appreciated.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

The air suspension is nice, but the 4WS is a game changer IMO.

I've had my 2017 Q7 for 2+ years and a 2012 Q7 for five years before that. Both with air suspension, no problems so far.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
The air suspension is nice, but the 4WS is a game changer IMO.

I've had my 2017 Q7 for 2+ years and a 2012 Q7 for five years before that. Both with air suspension, no problems so far.
Agree with that! Even on 21" Pirellis the ride on my Q7 is orders of magnitude better than my X5 with "dynamic damping" and 18" wheels. And the 4WS makes this big SUV drive like a small sedan....
Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am most impressed with the stability the 4 wheel steering gives at highway speeds. It's a confidence inspiring drive. I have never driven a vehicle this size that feels so safe and easy to drive. Smaller ones even felt less planted.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynamic chassis was a must have feature for me, I was initially was motivated by just the improved ride quality and load leveling functionality. However as others have mentioned, the four wheel steering is fantastic once you experience it....it makes this thing super easy to maneuver in parking lots and tight spaces.

That said, I previously owned a W220 (2004) S500 with Airmatic so I understand your concerns with reliability. We have only had our Q7 for a few months so I can't speak to it's longeivity yet, but based on what I've read on the internet and how much I appreciate the features I personally felt fine with rolling the dice on it.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tow trailers, so I was initially after the air suspension for load leveling. I'll echo what Doc said, ride on the 21's is amazingly good. Even in the Dynamic mode - tightens up nicely, but, not too harsh. Rides way better in dynamic than my wife's Q5 with 19's. Also - the 4WS is incredible. Make the Q7 feel much lighter and more nimble than it's 5000 weight might suggest. Slow speed turning circle is also a plus. Reliability? I think Audi in general has come a long way. I've got about 27k on my 2017 - knock on wood - so far so good!!!!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've stayed away from the air struts based on Mercedes issues. I think it's a great plus for comfort, but cost and longevity kept me away.

When an air strut fails - is the car disabled, like it deflates and it is no longer drivable? When one goes bad, are the others sure to follow?

I'd like to hear from some Q7 people that had an air strut go bad and how they handled it and related costs.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 285 Likes on 205 Posts

I have found the easiest way to leave my local Costco is depart the back driveway, take a right, then hang a U at the next turn lane. My '14 Q7 forced me to turn left into the parking lot as I could not make the U turn. My new Q7 easily makes the U turn - as tight as my S5! Love it!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a A6 with air suspension. The car lasted 11 years with zero suspension issues. I now have a Q7 with air suspension for a little over a year, and have had zero issues.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Q7
I've stayed away from the air struts based on Mercedes issues. I think it's a great plus for comfort, but cost and longevity kept me away.

When an air strut fails - is the car disabled, like it deflates and it is no longer drivable? When one goes bad, are the others sure to follow?

I'd like to hear from some Q7 people that had an air strut go bad and how they handled it and related costs.
We had the air suspension on a 2003 GX go out after about ten years and didn't really bother with it for another four years. It just rides a bit stiffer and a hard bump on the road can transfer the impact a bit more, but that was about it.

We had our tires replaced on an 04 LS430, also with air suspension, and because the suspension wasn't put in some sort of "standby mode" when on the lift, it was miscalibrated when the car was brought back down and rode several inches higher. Eventually, we had to take it to the dealer to get it reset but THAT was obnoxious how noticeably higher it road and even the tiniest bump in the road had the car shaking and uneven.

Quick Reply: Air suspension/adaptive chassis thoughts - long term