Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

airbag light on - advices needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag light on - advices needed

Only after less than one month/500miles on the car, the airbag light turned on. I am talking about the yellow sign on the instrument cluster, and clearly it is a malfunction (not the sign at the top when there is no passenger in the front).

actually it happened twice but the light went off automatically on the following day, but we still went to a dealer to check it - it was off when we got in. The dealer told me the code is the connection/communication to front passenger seat airbag is lost and they just reset the program as they can establish the connection. when we were about to leave, the light came back again so have to leave the car for the dealer to investigate further. the technician told us since 2017 Q7 is brand-new design, they have to contact audi USA in Michigan to fix this - not sure whether this is true for airbag system.

any ideas/suggestions? is this some common issue for older model or anyone has similar experience? thx
Old 10-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically with these newer cars, something as simple as a loose connector or a weak battery can trigger all sorts of error lights. The airbag light is not exception.
The following users liked this post:
pgagirl (07-21-2023)
Old 10-09-2016, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

There is a recall for airbag software. Probably not the cause of what you're experiencing, but put your VIN in here to check:

Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number
The following users liked this post:
pgagirl (07-21-2023)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tsg8397
Typically with these newer cars, something as simple as a loose connector or a weak battery can trigger all sorts of error lights. The airbag light is not exception.
the way the technician explained the reason based on code and next-step diagnosis/fix concerns me as it seems they don't know what went wrong and have to consult Audi USA - so at this point i even don't know how long it will take and whether they can find the cause and fix the problem instead of clearing the code and asking me to give it a try.

this is my first Audi car, is this a typical practice to solve problem from sensor/electronic system? thanks
Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RickObe
There is a recall for airbag software. Probably not the cause of what you're experiencing, but put your VIN in here to check:

Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number
thanks for the web - nothing from there
Old 10-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sze_cx
the way the technician explained the reason based on code and next-step diagnosis/fix concerns me as it seems they don't know what went wrong and have to consult Audi USA - so at this point i even don't know how long it will take and whether they can find the cause and fix the problem instead of clearing the code and asking me to give it a try.

this is my first Audi car, is this a typical practice to solve problem from sensor/electronic system? thanks
It is a typical practice. Do they know if the actual component is bad? If not, it's most likely something as simple as a loose connector or weak battery. Honestly, the dealerships can be quite clueless.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is my second Audi, first was a 2009 Q5 now it's a 2019 Q5, both Prestige. Never had an issue with the first but now, the safety issue just popped up and it's the airbag light. I moved the drivers seat way back yesterday and someone else mentioned that this can trigger it. newer computers are going to have more issues, Ugh...
Old 07-22-2023, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by pgagirl
This is my second Audi, first was a 2009 Q5 now it's a 2019 Q5, both Prestige. Never had an issue with the first but now, the safety issue just popped up and it's the airbag light. I moved the drivers seat way back yesterday and someone else mentioned that this can trigger it. newer computers are going to have more issues, Ugh...
Under the driver's seat there is a black flap in the floor from which a bundle of wires goes to the seat. It is accessible from the front. Open it and check that all the plugs you find there are properly plugged in. As far as I remember, the airbag plug is probably yellow.
Unfortunately if you will plug it properly again the airbag light will not disappear. It has to be turn off via diagnostic system as OBDEleven.

Last edited by retom; 07-22-2023 at 02:21 PM.