Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

All Season Tires for 21" Wheel - Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default All Season Tires for 21" Wheel - Update

Just want to give a quick report / update for those interested in this topic.

Many of you that have the 21" know, there is no "exact size" all season tire available to replace the OEM summer performance. As suggested by a few other forum members (thank you to all who discussed this in the past), Conti makes the Extreme Contact DWS in a very slight off size that was reported to work fine.

Well, I have changed out my worn OEM summer Conti's to the All Season DWS and glad to report not only is there zero problems with fit, but the ride / handling basically matches the summer tire, if not even better. They are likely going to last a lot longer and for anyone that needs / wants a one tire solution for all weather, this is the tire to get. I am in So Cal so an All Season is not really a necessity, but man, could not even safely take my kids up in the local mountains for sledding in the winter on the summer OEM (silly for a Quattro vehicle). Lastly, even with the very slight size difference, my Audi dealer had no problem with ordering them for me and installing (another member reported their dealer would not mount anything other then OEM size).

So, for longitivtiy alone, this tire is worth a look when your time to replace comes. I was a little worried how they would perform on the road after having the summer rubber (which I loved except for the fast wear), but they are fantastic and assuming they last a decent life, they seem to be a total improvement over going with the OEM summer Conti.

Drive safe everyone!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Good to know...thanks for the feedback
Old 05-21-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul

Many of you that have the 21" know, there is no "exact size" all season tire available to replace the OEM summer performance. As suggested by a few other forum members (thank you to all who discussed this in the past), Conti makes the Extreme Contact DWS in a very slight off size that was reported to work fine.

Well, I have changed out my worn OEM summer Conti's to the All Season DWS and glad to report not only is there zero problems with fit, but the ride / handling basically matches the summer tire, if not even better. They are likely going to last a lot longer and for anyone that needs / wants a one tire solution for all weather, this is the tire to get. I am in So Cal so an All Season is not really a necessity, but man, could not even safely take my kids up in the local mountains for sledding in the winter on the summer OEM (silly for a Quattro vehicle). Lastly, even with the very slight size difference, my Audi dealer had no problem with ordering them for me and installing (another member reported their dealer would not mount anything other then OEM size).

So, for longitivtiy alone, this tire is worth a look when your time to replace comes. I was a little worried how they would perform on the road after having the summer rubber (which I loved except for the fast wear), but they are fantastic and assuming they last a decent life, they seem to be a total improvement over going with the OEM summer Conti.

Drive safe everyone!
What exact tire size did your dealer mount? DWS06 295/40ZR21 ?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
What exact tire size did your dealer mount? DWS06 295/40ZR21 ?
Yes, and they are perfect. The ride and handling might even be better then the summer high performance. Very happy so far, time will tell on tread wear but its gotta be better with them being all seasons and the overall reports on tire rack are excellent for this tire.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul

Drive safe everyone!
What dealership did you get these ordered and installed? I called my local dealer (Carlsbad) and they said they couldn't find them in their system to order.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2018 Q7 will next month (Oct). I didn't give any thought to tires, I just got what the Q7 comes with.

I live in San Diego, but once a year I ski in Lake Tahoe. Are you suggesting that to be safe I should be changing tires when I go skiing assuming I don't want to install "chains".

Rich
Old 09-11-2017, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have summer tires, you can't drive them in any amount of snow. Not even 1/8 inch of snow.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by anevares
What dealership did you get these ordered and installed? I called my local dealer (Carlsbad) and they said they couldn't find them in their system to order.
I do all my dealer biz at Walters in riverside. There is no better Audi dealerbin So cal (well also Audi Ontario as they are same owner and same customer service standards.) That said, I ended up ditching the upsized Conti DWS all season after just 3500 miles. It's not exactly clear to me if I had a bad batch, the upsize took some sort of affect (doubtful) or my specific vehicle alignment etc., but the ride turned awful with an unpleasant road feedback in the pedal and steering wheel. I went back to the OEM Conti summer and the ride is again is butter smooth, just hope I can make them last longer then the first set w rotations every 5k. I would be hesitant to try the upsize DWS again given my first experience, but belive most that have gotten them are happy.

This 21" tire topic is tough one. I do not understand how Audi can offer such an off road / winter capable all wheel drive vehicle and then fit them with high performance summer rubbers the only option. It's a nice driving suv and swift for its size, but it's no M5 or Cayanne gts / turbo, so they should have either made the wheel options to fit an existing performance all season or arranged for a tire to be made by a mfg to spec this size. It's sounding like they finally have done the latter according to another post in the forum announcing a correct size all season now avail on factory order 2018's. But no word yet on what that tire is or if it's a tire current Q7 owners can order by themselves. Time will tell.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Well it looks like you can now order the black optic package with an all season tire (I know old news) so Im guessing we will see some all seasons hit the market very soon in a 285-40-21, they probably just aren't out yet.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
Well it looks like you can now order the black optic package with an all season tire (I know old news) so Im guessing we will see some all seasons hit the market very soon in a 285-40-21, they probably just aren't out yet.
Tirerack just started carrying the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season in the 285 45r21 size. Not a high performance all season though. I'm hoping for the Continental DWS06 in the standard size. I thought I read somewhere that going to the 295 sized DWS06 the minimum rim width that Continental recommends is a half inch wider than the standard 21" Audi rims.

Quick Reply: All Season Tires for 21" Wheel - Update