Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Annoying rattle id'd and fixed-...list your rattle and solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Annoying rattle id'd and fixed-...list your rattle and solution

It was a small one but very very, annoying! Took a storage box from the storage area, removed the flat fix pump, foam and tools, Drove around and it was still there. Had to vacuum sand out of the car so I moved all the seats to their adjusted limits including the 6th and 7th seats. Took everything out of the glove compartment and center console. Still there. Moved the sun roof and sun shade back and forth, rattle still there. Checked all the door cubbies and cup holders nada. Id''d the sound as in the area of the back seat behind the front passenger seat but couldn't isolate it. Was it down by the floor or higher up. So I asked my wife to drive around with me in the back seat. 90 degrees out , no AC, windows up and FINALLY! the cigarette holder/ash holder on the door handle was not attached to the door correctly. Boy it was frustrating. Overlooked those and should have had them at the top of the list.

Hope this helps others that get fixated on rattles! Did you have one that you found and fixed?
Hope this is helpful.
The following 5 users liked this post by GBMILTON:
AudiQ7@9669 (05-03-2023), dohturdima (08-14-2019), JBaumgart (08-13-2019), mattwhit (07-06-2019), Tommeke (07-06-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow.. that is frustrating... I had rattle.... it took me weeks to identify its pano. moonroof. Booked an appointment with the dealer, and they said they applied a TSB.. Took the car out from dealership - still there, and felt like it got increased, however, had a client meeting that day so drove there with music volume up (that helps to forget it for a while) and had to park the car outside 100 F summer heat for 4-5 hours.

Now the interesting part, after that when I drove home, it was quite... "no more rattle"... I don't know what fixed it... the TSB or Summer heat or both... It is still a mystery to me... and it's now almost 7 months and 7000+ miles and still quite.. Fingers crossed...
Old 07-07-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an annoying engine rattle at 1000 rpm. Q7 needs to warm up and whether driving- accelerating or decelerating or even stationary - at 1000 rpm there is an audible rattle coming from the engine compartment. Dealer did find it and "verify my concern" but I could not leave the Q7 with them for a few days. Sounds like the velociraptor in Jurassic Park movies. Leaving it at the dealer in a few days and hopefully they will find it.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SSA6
Sounds like the velociraptor in Jurassic Park movies.
I would be careful opening the hood then.
The following 2 users liked this post by Astropup:
Blake P (08-15-2019), mattwhit (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

SSA 6

A couple of months ago I filled the tank with Stop and Shop gas which is not Top Tier. (Stop and Shop is a large grocery store that gives discounts for shopping there.) While there , a delivery tanker was filling up the tanks for the station. When I got home I heard my engine which has always been very quiet. I think what happened is the delivery stirred up a lot of sediment and although it was high test it was not Top Tier. Less than one tank later I could hardly hear the engine when standing beside it. Never been back to Stop & Shop and have since been going to Costco.

Last edited by GBMILTON; 07-07-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks GBMILTON, but it's not the gas. I use top tier fuels about 95% of the time. This rattle has been ongoing for months, and I'm finally realizing that I should not have such a rattle in such an expensive car. I initially only heard it upon deceleration from 30-15 mph, but then made the observation that is the 1000 rpm range and that led me to hear it standing still at 1000 rpm. Thought it was a trans or other engine issue but because I hear it standing still I don't think so. I'll have to get someone to sit in the car and rev to 1000rpm while I look under the hood. And I'll keep this updated when I bring it to the dealer at next oil change coming up in a few weeks.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default UPDATE: 1000 rpm ratttle fixed

All, I while back I mentioned a rattle I experienced at 1000 rpm. Yesterday the dealer did the fix after getting the parts. I wanted to share just in case anyone else experiences the same issue -

Old 08-13-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My drivers door latch sometimes rattles, and when it does it’s terrible. My sunroof creaks. My rear passenger door is creaky. I get a rattling/fart sound from up under the dash upon deceleration at slow speeds. Drivers seat is creaky. Car squeaks (metal grinding sound) and shutters upon taking off and when you put your foot back on the pedal at slower speeds. I haven’t had a chance to get it into the dealer but at 2k miles I’m less than happy with my Q.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sickk23
I haven’t had a chance to get it into the dealer but at 2k miles I’m less than happy with my Q.
I'm approaching 4k miles and have had zero rattles. I know this will invariably change as the Q ages, but so far the ride is eerily quiet, and super smooth.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaumgart
I'm approaching 4k miles and have had zero rattles. I know this will invariably change as the Q ages, but so far the ride is eerily quiet, and super smooth.
I’ll trade ya

Quick Reply: Annoying rattle id'd and fixed-...list your rattle and solution