Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anyone else miss their 2018 Audi? I hate my 2021:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else miss their 2018 Audi? I hate my 2021:(

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place or doing this wrong. I leased a 2018 Q7 and absolutely loved everything about it. It was the best car I've ever owned. When my lease was up, there was no looking elsewhere- I leased another Q7- this time a 2021. It's TERRIBLE! I absolutely hate it. The MMI/entertainment system has been glitchy from day 1. I've had consistent issues where the volume will go up (to deafening levels) and down on its own without me touching anything. This happens both when I'm connected to Apple Carplay and when I'm not. I've taken it to the dealership 3 times and they ended up ordering a new part and rebuilding the entire system. The volume seems to be under control now but there are other issues- the key isn't recognized when it's in my pocket, the MMI screen intermittently goes black, the MMI screen gets hung up on the "initializing" screen and I can't use any entertainment features (radio, phone, etc) during my drive. Not to mention if I wirelesslesly charge my phone in the center console for longer than 30 minutes it overheats and shuts off- when I mentioned to the service dept at my dealership they said that was a known issue. Really!? I have 3 friends with 2021 Audi's (Q5s and Q7s) who have similar issues. It's maddening to pay the money I'm paying for this car and I can't get basic features. The second I can get rid of this car I will and will not be buying Audi again. Is anyone else here having a similar experience?
Old 02-18-2022, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

I'm sorry you have such problems with the new Q7. Models from 2021 have a new MMI with MIB3 system, which turned out to be very underdeveloped and has many bugs. Unfortunately, Audi does not yet have full, new software for all these faults.
I have a car with new MMI but with previous MIB2 and everything works without any problems.
Many car manufacturers have a problems with overheating a phone on a wireless chargers. If it comforts you, it is even worse in the new BMW X5/X6/X7. If you have an iPhone, check if you have the latest software version because Apple has released a new version that was to improve the phone's cooperation with car wireless chargers.
The following users liked this post:
BigBoy11 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the X7(2020), and I don't have any issues with wireless charging. Latest Android.
BigBoy11 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a 2021 A6 Allroad and don't really use the wireless charger but the only issue we have has is the * button on the steering wheel requires you to set it's function each time the car is started. If I were you I'd keep taking it in and consider lemon lawing it. Not being able to access the screens especially the VC is completely unacceptable.

My 2020 SQ7 is still pretty new to me but also has yet to have any "soft" issues.

Sorry for your headaches, it definitely doesn't sound normal or acceptable.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a ‘21 with zero MMI or any other issues. Well, I shouldn’t say zero. The Apple Carplay and bluetooth for iPhone is buggy, but otherwise the MMI is fine. However, I had a ‘19 that had a major electrical system malfunction and it was in the shop for 29 days. Audi repurchased the vehicle. It was a very easy process.

Call AoA and explain all the issues and request a buyback. Do NOT mention Lemon Law or your lawyer at all. Just let them know you are very unhappy and it’s not acceptable and you want them to buy the car back.

They will open a case and review your repair history. Takes maybe 2 months or so. I made one phone call to open the case, then called back once to check the status (it was ongoing), then they contacted me later and offered a full repurchase. Your issues are not normal, make that phone call.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 02-19-2022 at 01:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrjunior31:
2DaLab (02-19-2022), Turboale (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

Really like my '17. Had a '21 as a loaner awhile back. Really dislike the "all the screens in all the places" approach of the new interior. Don't like the large squares for the radar/sonar/whatever in the grill either. Doubt I'll move to the new body style when I'm done with this one.

I'm probably headed back to a fullsize pickup once the used market calms down a little.
bp1203 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Really hate to hear about all your problems. I have a ‘21 Q7 Prestige and it’s had no issues over the past year other than operator error. Hopefully you can get it replaced under Lemon Law’s or at least upgraded software.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,204 Likes on 937 Posts

reading this I am super glad I traded my fairly high mileage '17 for a low mileage '18 instead of trying to get into something brand new...
Old 02-21-2022, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2019 (last model before the MMi screen refresh) I can happily say I have had ZERO problems. Apple car play will SOMETIMES (and by sometimes I mean this happens maybe once every 2-3 months) glitch where I will have to unplug my iphone and plug it back in for the interface to kick in. Aside from that the car is awesome, lease is up November of this year and with the way the world is right now i'll prob extend my lease for 6 months. Inventory is low but prices are stupid across all brands and dealerships, i'll hang onto this Gem for as long as I can.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a MY '21 SQ7 with all the new MIB-3 tech and I absolutely adore it. In fact, the current-gen Audi tech was one of the big reasons I was drawn to the brand. Other than initially binding my Audi user account to the car, which was a huge pain, I've had nearly zero issues with the infotainment. Wireless CarPlay always works as expected, as does Android Auto (I'm Android, wifey is Apple). No weird crashes or lags and everything has actually been quite consistent.

That said, I work in technology, so I may have a slightly different bias and/or acceptance of technological complexity than others? But honestly, I don't really find the Audi system to be that complicated... You do need to read the car manual cover to cover at least once and you do need to spend a couple hours parked familiarizing yourself with the UI if you really want to get the most out of it, but that's true of any product beyond a certain complexity level, and especially true with German cars.

Imho, it's also worth spending the time to setup the lower screen shortcuts, media and car setting favorites, and maybe moving around some of the home page tiles and shortcuts on the upper screen. I also moved around a few of the HVAC buttons (swapping "off" with "rear" for example) and have carefully tweaked the default assistance systems settings as well.

Oh and definitely 100% use the infotainment profiles. Don't just ignore it and press "guest" over and over... It's worth the time to get it all set up properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shammyh:
McDQ7 (06-13-2024), retom (02-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone else miss their 2018 Audi? I hate my 2021:(